Fulham at Spurs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Clevelandmo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I guess I'll get it started. It would be nice to get a result from this one and I think it's very doable. Spurs are away at Inter on Thursday so they'll have traveled and only be on two days rest while our guys are on two weeks. Predicting a 2-2 draw with one of our goals coming from Damien Duff on St. Patricks Day.

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Stats for you: haven't beaten Spurs in the league since November 2008. Haven't even gotten a point off them since December 2009.

Hoping for anything really.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

that's what we're likely to get, timmy.

Hope to get a View up late in the day.They'll be playing when I'm in church and then I'm sure I'll have family thangs to do afterwards.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And #2 is slated to be back on their roster. A point would be a miracle.

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Best case their entire team get the flu and we get a point. Kidding of course. Love Mo's luck of the Irish and Duffers gets us points!!!

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"family thangs?" as in St. Patrick's type of "family thangs?" :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

7. RDG

RDG Member

At least Kelly won't be getting schooled again. Last season's finale was embarrassing.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

us Texas cajuns ain't Irish. Although, there's an idea forming in my brain now.

9. Clevelandmo

A great result from the past at the expense of one Kasey Keller, just to get the good luck flowing

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/13/tottenham-flashback

Since there is still no Pope, I will fill the temporary void, and anoint Dimitar an Irish catholic so he will also be eligible for some Irish luck. Between that and playing against his former club, I expect him to punish the back of the net along with Duffers. COYW

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Always like seeing video of players most of us never got to see. Need someone to step up and have a Barry Hayles type performance at WHL. Expecting to lose 3-1, but you never know, the pressure is on them, so hope we play with a ton of energy and with a nothing to lose mentality.

11. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

First the positives:

• Tottenham have to travel to Italy on Thursday.
    • Tottenham are prone to giving up the odd goal or two.

Now the negatives:

• Fulham are prone to giving up the odd goal or two or two and a half.
    • Fulham are not playing at home which means we are on the road even if we are staying in London.
    • Tottenham can potentially give two ex-Fulham men their home debuts against the Whites and that typically means both will have outstanding matches.
    • Looking back, Tottenham lost their last Premier League match and are probably a miffed about giving away points.
    • Looking forward, after Fulham Tottenham get Swansea (A), Everton (H), Chelsea(A) and Citeh (H) for their next four fixtures.
    • Guess who Tottenham isn’t likely to overlook at home with Chelsea hot on their heels.
    • Gareth Bale is hotter than a $20 Coach bag.

My expectations are set on not letting the goal differential get out of hand and hoping for better.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Well, Spurs going 122 min in Milan today can't hurt Fulham's chances. Sigh...

13. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

No. But look at who didn't play today...Lloris, Dempsey and Bale.

Still, they aren't exactly the Great Wall of China in the back, are they?

Fingers crossed.

14. SoCalJoe

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Being tired from the match in Milan would only be relevant if we actually did anything to exploit that. We're not very aggressive on either end of the pitch, nor in transition. I can see it being a non-factor. Plus, Defoe and Lennon didn't go the distance. Bale didn't play at all. And there's talk that Dempsey will return against us. Throw in our approach to road matches and our recent results at WHL....I think we lose, probably 2-0.

Their back four is suspect (outside of Vertonghen and the gk's) but we don't play in a manner to exploit those weaknesses. They've been beaten often over the top and on through balls, which we don't do. Their wingbacks get caught out making them susceptible to getting beat to the line for crosses, but we don't do that worth a darn either. We either can't cross or have no one in the box to cross to. In a matchup between Vertonghen and Berbatov competing for crosses, I don't like our chances. Our offense is predicated on possession and creating chances around the top of the box. Unfortunately, that's playing into the teeth of the Spurs defense as their cm's do a really good job at dropping back and protecting the cb's.

Defensively we struggle with pace and movement and that's the Spurs offense to a tee. Riise is likely in for a 'mare.

I think there are several areas we could exploit to have a shot at a result or even a win, but I've seen no evidence in Jol changing tactics and strategies based on the opposition to think we'll do anything different than the norm. Shame that. Hope he proves me wrong.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the lineups:

Spurs: Lloris; Naughton, Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen; Sigurdsson, Dembele, Parker, Assou-Ekotto; Adebayor, Bale
    Subs: Friedel, Walker, Carroll, Holtby, Livermore, Defoe, Dempsey

Fulham: Schwarzer; Riether, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Dejagah, Sidwell, Karagounis, Duff; Ruiz; Berbatov
    Subs: Etheridge, Hughes, Richardson, Eyong, Emanuelson, Petric, Rodallega

Comment 1: Deuce on the bench
    Comment 2: Who the hell is "Eyong?"

No chatroom for this boy -- church calls. There'll be a View up sometime before the sun sets -- in Texas. COYW!

17. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

AMAZING!!!!

18. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

AWSOME!

19. Clevelandmo

We are back in the top 10!!!

:banana-guitar: :banana-dance: :banana-linedance:

20. SoCalJoe

:banana-linedance: Was out in Palm Springs and couldn't get internet service due to being right next to the mountains and didn't get the score until we were driving home. :banana-linedance: Fantastic result, Jol's postmatch interview:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -Tottenham