Fulham at Sheffield United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 6, 2022.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The end of the Championship season kicks off early for everyone on Saturday. Fulham's last match against Sheffield United will kick off at 7:30am EDT. The match will be on ESPN+ if you are up for it. @HatterDon you'll need a big cup of coffee and two screens open since Luton is in the other match ESPN+ is showing at that time.

Unlike Fulham's past three seasons in the Championship, there isn't much to care about in this final match. No chance for automatic promotion, no jockeying for playoff positions, we don't even have a reunion with Jokanovic to look forward to. There are a few things that would be "nice to haves": If Fulham keeps a clean sheet no other team will have allowed fewer goals, so having the top scoring team and the top defense would be nice. If Fulham scores three goals they would break Manchester City's record of 108 goals in a modern second-tier season. If Harrison Reed scores he would ensure that every outfield player with over 20 appearances got a goal. If Tim Ream starts he can wrap up his Fulham career by starting every match in the season (the only minutes he missed were against Hull).

Given that Sheffield United needs a win to ensure a playoff spot and Fulham needs nothing from this match, I only expect to have Ream's start out of my list of nice to haves. If I was Silva I wouldn't start any of the guys who should be playing next season - why risk injury? I do think the guys that start will give a good effort in this match, but I do not expect this squad to look anything like a typical Fulham lineup from this season. Despite the lack of drama, I'll still be up early to savor one last look at this amazing team.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

"we play today, we win today ... no problem"

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  3. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Well. Minute 50, and we’re in complete shambles. Picked apart. It helps clarify the transfer window needs. I hope we show some pride in the last 40 minutes.

MicahMan likes this.
  4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I can't believe I set an alarm for that.

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am going to write this off as the Blades being up for the match and Fulham being checked out. Time for the off season.

6. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Fulham played poorly and certainly looked like a bunch of players that have had very little meaningful time (i.e. game time) together. It felt like a preseason match to me. And none of the non-regulars convinced me that they’re worth taking to the next level.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Embarrassing. I stopped watching at halftime. Predictable, I suppose, but that was awful. But we won the league and we're going up. So there...

8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

How bad was Fulham today? Well, there isn't a single shot from Fulham in the highlights:

After Gazziniga alligator-armed the first goal, I felt like the team checked out. Prior to that Fulham opened the game looking ready to play. Then that first shot went in and suddenly it seemed like no one really wanted to play anymore. And someone needs to make sure the equipment manager gives the guys have the right footwear in the Premier League. It seemed like they were falling regularly (see Seri on the second goal).

Credit to Fulham's away fans who wouldn't let today take away their sunshine. They managed to throw in some ole's and happily sing as the game closed out.