Fulham at Peterborough

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Nov 5, 2021.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

On Saturday Fulham travel to Peterborough to face the Posh at 11am EDT (still the shorter time difference). The match will only be available on FFCTV.

Peterborough have given up the most goals so far this season. Fulham have scored the most. Now before you get too excited about that matchup, and coming off of a 7 goal shellacking of Blackburn, take note that against the other two teams that gave up the most goals (Reading and Cardiff) Fulham managed only three goals and even lost one of those games. In mid-October newly promoted Peterborough won back to back matches to pull themselves out of the relegation zone and four points above the cutoff in 20th place.

Peterborough are called the Posh because being founded in only 1934 they were once the posh new team. Posh Spice tried to claim the name for herself with the UK patent office, but she was unsuccessful with the courts judging that people are unlikely to confuse Victoria Beckham with Peterborough United.

I would not be surprised if Fulham has the same lineup as Wednesday given how well they performed and that the team is heading into the international break. I really have a hard time justifying removing anyone. Hector certainly earned his spot at CB while Tosin is out and it appears Silva really is happy with Odoi at RB over Tete. Carvalho and Cairney seem likely to be used as substitutes again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either start.

Fulham should win this one, but they play the games for a reason. It would be especially good if Swansea could hold Bournemouth to a draw so Fulham could head into the break in first place, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

All we gotta worry about is not getting the big head and go out thinking we can mail it in against such an opponent. I don’t think we will. Nobody wants to be the guy that screws up the clean sheet streak, because I think we know we’re gonna score. If they don’t, we win. The best part of the Blackburn outing was guys realizing we aren’t sunk if Mitro has a bad day (if you can call one goal and some sweet attacking passes and assists a bad day). Like Hatter says, we play Saturday, we win Saturday.

3. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Our boys have to take the game as seriously as they did Blackburn. Doesn't mean we fans can't get big heads, though -- that's half the fun! :)

I would like to see Carvalho start this one, and a few more, so that he's more motivated to sign that new contract. We have to be able to hold on to talent if we want to become an established Prem team one day.

I fully plan on sinking that 10 pounds tomorrow.

4. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

This calls for one dancing banana. Three points taken after a much more difficult away match than I had expected. Bournemouth wins, too, and stays 2 points ahead, but West Brom dropped 2, so now we're 6 points clear of third. Nice.

20 goals for Mitro after 17 games. Beginning to think he'll get to 40 by the season's end.

MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Running roughshod over teams is fun no doubt. However, this was such a satisfying 3 points. Facing a team that had the tactics right and was willing to pull us into the deep end, the lads were able to persevere, suffer, and grind out a 0-1 victory. #COYW!!! James…

BarryWhite, stlouisbrad and MicahMan like this.
  6. jumpkutz

7. jumpkutz

When you’ve got a Mitro, you’ve got a chance!

8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights:

Rodak was the primary reason this didn't turn into another Coventry. Like the Coventry match, the bad conditions (wind in this case) seemed to dull Fulham's attack. As the game went on Fulham got more frustrated and mistakes increased. Fortunately Rodak made three really good saves that kept Fulham in the match until Mitrovic could grab the lead. Peterborough probably deserved a point from this, but Fulham did what was needed to get the win.

encorespanish likes this.
  9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, but their guy had some great saves also. We can't beat everybody 3-0. two shutouts on the road is great. Nothing to quibble about for this old geezer.

10. jumpkutz

I like how the three Posh defenders, in their equidistant triangle around Mitro, just looked at each other like “I thought YOU had him” poses. The one guy on our team that you can’t let beat you, and they did. Sometimes all it takes to win one that you may not have necessarily deserved is a mere few seconds of superior quality, talent and skill. Kebano’s evasion of two defenders to get that cross off straight to the man himself was just that. I love that kid, and I hope he continues to build upon the positive performances toward a monster season.

encorespanish likes this.