Fulham at Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Feb 23, 2024.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Manchester United has offered nothing but misery for Fulham recently. At some point it has to end, right?? United has been flying high in 2024 with four wins in a row and just a draw against Tottenham and with Fulham missing the services of Palhinha a feeling of grim resignation is warranted. However, United will be without Hojland, who has scored in every Premiere League match in 2024, and Shaw because of injury. This could provide an opening for Fulham.

I won't be surprised if almost half the squad is changed from the Aston Villa match. Bassey and Tosin could both come in at CB, Palhina will force a reorganization of the midfield, Iwobi should start somewhere, and Wilson probably deserves a start too. One thing is certain - Muniz gets the start again. It is hard to deny the hot hand, but Broja will be available again after missing last week due to illness.

The fun gets started at 10am EST on Peacock.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Fun, you say?

It’s matches like this that I hate. Not much else would evoke the kind of joy that beating Man U would. But on the flip side, the level of anger and frustration I feel after dropping points lingers far too long (especially if Man U is taking these points after the 80th minute like they have on a couple of recent occasions). Not sure why I feel this way about some teams but could not care less about others.

I think Willian needs to start. If Fulham can get some early pressure, it’ll make it easier on the back line. Though closing out matches is the real issue so, for today, I’m hoping that the teams around Fulham in the table don’t get three points.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@jumpkutz

CUE THE F#%@ OUT OF IT JAMES!!!!!

The late dread of blowing the lead turns to me running around like a lunatic when Iwobi cooly slots it home.

4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Thought we were going to grab defeat from the jaws of victory and they proved me wrong. Hell yeah they proved me wrong. Great morning.

5. astroevan

Almost turned it off when Diop was subbed on. That feeling felt justified when Maguire scored. The reward for sticking through it at the end was so sweet though. It’s going to be a great day.

6. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I was 100% certain we'd blow it. What a wonderful surprise, but nothing more than we deserved. With better finishing, we could have been up 2-0 in the first half.

Muniz didn't score but impressed again. Something just switched for him. He's focused. He fights. He makes the right runs. He deserves to keep starting.

I think this game shows how much we missed Iwobi and Bassey.

nevzter, MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

8. jumpkutz

9. jumpkutz

10. jumpkutz

About bloody time we beat these blue blood punks. Few things make me happier than pissing off the home supporters at Old Trafford.

11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Yes @astroevan that WAS fun! Except when it wasn't, but then when it was!

I was feeling good with how Fulham was playing but I got even more anxious once they got a lead - I felt like a loss was MORE likely then given their recent history. I also lost hope when Diop came on. I had Buddy Ryan in my head saying "The prevent defense prevents you from winning" (at least I think it was him). Sure enough Fulham sat too far back and gave up a late goal again.

But lo! Traore does what we dream of him doing! His physical presence and speed parts the waters of the Manchester United defense to give Iwobi one more chance - and this time he slots it home. After all the abuse Iwobi received when Nigeria lost the AFCON final it was great to see him and Bassey be the heroes for Fulham. They both fully deserve it. This team is so much better with them on the pitch.

Let's not forget Robinson's clairvoyant positioning that allowed him to head away Garnacho's goal bound shot in the first half. That was a huge moment. Also Leno stepped up when he needed to.

Put this one on repeat!

nevzter, astroevan and stlouisbrad like this.
  12. astroevan

And after you’ve repeated that one to your liking, head over to this one and listen to Gentleman Jim loose his shit, “we’ve done the double Nigerian”

nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  13. jumpkutz

After watching the all the highlights and replay, all I can say is we looked like a real Premier League team at Old Trafford. Everybody was great but Muniz did everything but score. He’s looking more and more like a physical, PL quality striker. And I agree wholeheartedly with everyone that Iwobi is a cut above. We need him on the pitch every second.
    Let’s hope we can finally build some consistency from this fabulous performance.

astroevan likes this.
  14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont follow much anymore. WOULD have watched if I had paid attention.
    But it DOES make m feel good to see commentary as in this thread!