Fulham at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Dec 3, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Getting a late start on this thread - Fulham travels to Liverpool this morning. The match will be on Peacock with kickoff at 9am EST.

Liverpool is undefeated at home and have only given up two goals at Anfield. That spells almost certain doom for Fulham. I just don't see how they are going to get a goal despite Liverpool being without Alisson, but I think Fulham will at least make it some what entertaining.

Fulham will be without Diop and Traore with Tosin available from the bench. Palhinha will be back after his one game suspension.

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I was in Illinois (because Missouri can't get it together) yesterday and bet on 3 or more goals being scored. Of that I'm confident. Sort of.

MicahMan likes this.
  3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

This match has the feel of a close contest that Fulham will gut wrenchingly loose in the last ten minutes. Maybe Liverpool will give up a couple penalties to make it even more exciting.

MicahMan likes this.
  4. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

That one stings. On the last Liverpool goal decordova-reid got destroyed by the Liverpool player. Right through his back. What a cruel ending on an otherwise entertaining game.

5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. The result has to give the team a lift though mentally. Unfortunately there’s no lift in the table.

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Bloody hell. Despite what happened to Bobby on their winner, what’s going on with our defense? No clean sheets since September. Despite the own goal today it seems that Leno is still performing well (although I admit to not having watched many full matches lately so I may be wrong). I was glad to see Tete back but we still shipped four goals. Scousers are still good but they haven’t been THIS good lately so it’s a worry. Some are starting to blame what they perceive to be a decline in Ream’s recent outings but that’s too easy. Bottom line, this was there for the taking and we punted it.

7. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I thought we defended rather well, despite the 4 conceded. All of their goals were scored from long range, and 3 of the 4 were unsavable. I was waiting for VAR to give a foul on Bobby, but they decided an elbow in the back was ok.

I thought that the Leno from the beginning of the season or even the beginning of this game would have saved their 4th. He seems to be going through a mini-crisis of confidence, and getting kicked in the head did not help. I hope he gets thoroughly assessed -- it looked nasty.

This one hurt -- we deserved much more, having matched them, and played our best game of the season. On the other hand, if we can bring this intensity into the rest of the matches, we'll climb up the table. Especially, if we strengthen at striker in January.

My MOTM: Jedi.

MicahMan likes this.
  8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Wow @daddude7 and @astroevan had their third eyes in focus! There were more than three goals and it was a gut-wrenching loss.

I'm also of the opinion that the defense played pretty well. The first goal was an amazing shot that still needed a stroke of luck coming off of Leno's back, MacAllister's goal was a worldy (although I did shout at Raul "what they hell are you doing?!" right before the shot), and DeCordova-Reid got trucked leaving Alexander-Arnold open on the last goal. I thought their third goal was where the defense let down the most since no one put pressure on Endo.

I also agree with giving Robinson MotM. Salah will have to wait a little longer to get that goal.

Overall a very good performance from Fulham, just a shame they couldn't get something from it. The highlights if you need them:

9. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I've had time to cool down. If Marco gets his message right, I think this performance--despite a loss--can define the rest of our season, and in a good way. We matched the best of the best, and had we been luckier, we could have had a point or three. The whole team should draw inspiration from this.

On the other hand, I can see the vultures swooping down for Jedi in January, too.