Fulham at Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 2, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

With the season winding down Fulham faces Liverpool, their first opponent of this Premier League campaign. I think back to a Liverpool fan I ran into the morning of the match back in August. We wished each other luck and headed our separate ways. At that moment I was not feeling good about Fulham's chances - I mean Fulham still had Tim Ream as CB?! We were doomed for sure. I was so, so very wrong about Ream, what would happen against Liverpool that day, and the trajectory Fulham would take through the season. For a good chunk of the season I'm certain I was happier with how things were going for my team than the Liverpool fan I ran into. Fulham has been incredible this season and full of surprises - like how much I miss having Tim Ream in the starting lineup. Who would have thought I'd feel that way in May?

Fulham will be way under 100% when they visit Anfield. Ream and Pereira out for the season. Mitrovic out for two more matches. Willian possibly out for another match as he recovers. Diop will come in for Ream and I suspect Cairney will take the captain's arm band, but will he be able to play the full 90? If Silva has any players he hasn't made up his mind about, now is the time to give them a shot. The team is in need, time is running short, and there is nothing to lose.

The match will kick off on Peacock at 3pm EDT on Wednesday.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I took off for Monday's game, but I can't catch this one live. If anyone at work spoils the game for me I will file a formal grievance. COYW!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

On another day, we tie or win. I was proud of the team for how much fight they brought. For large stretches, especially in the second half, we were the better team and Liverpool was just clearing the ball. Unlucky on the two excellent chances from Vinicius and Bobby. That PK? Super soft; probably doesn't get called if it's in our favor rather than against, and the uncalled foul on Bobby in the second half is exhibit A. Still, Diop knows better than that.

MicahMan likes this.
  4. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights:

Ugh, another PK given up to a top team. And these are never blatant fouls, just enough to get the whistle and to stand up against VAR review. So irritating. It was a really head scratching moment. When Tosin fed Diop the ball I said "What are you doing?" because Diop wasn't in much better position. And then when Diop sat on the ball I said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!"

Overall a pretty good performance. Despite not scoring I was very pleased with Vinicius in this match. He forced a couple good saves from Alison and he helped link up on other attacks. It would have been nice if he could have had back-to-back scores. Is it too late for him to redeem himself? It was unfortunate he wasn't on the pitch the same time as Solomon because in the short time he was on the pitch he caused some problems. Could Vinicius have put away some of those chances DeCordova-Reid had? I would have liked to have seen him try.

astroevan and SoCalJoe like this.
  5. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Here are my musings on the game and the season.

Soares and Lukic both missed opportunities to make a strong case for their inclusion in future starting lineups.

Boy we missed Ream and Pereira out there.

I initially thought this would be interesting to see who is better Tosin or Diop. That question took about 30 minutes to answer. It's Tosin.

Willian is just fantastic. Who saw that coming?

Also that Leno signing was fantastic.

I honestly don't know how watchable our last few games would be without Harry Wilson.

Was I wrong about Vinicus? I don't think I was but good job out there lately.

astroevan, MicahMan and SoCalJoe like this.
  6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Credit to Nunez for the quality dive, impossible for the ref not to call it.

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Nunez pulled a basketball trick. He knew Diop was caught out, so he jumped into the contact.

I’m quite pleased that the team basically put up a clean sheet at Anfield. I’m curious to see how Silva plays the last three matches after Mitro comes back. Hopefully the defense stays strong and he can inject some bravado back into the offense.