Fulham at Everton - EFL Cup Quarterfinal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Dec 18, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham gets a great shot at making the EFL Cup semi finals when they take on Everton on Tuesday night. The match will kick off ar 2:45 EST on ESPN+.

Fulham does have a great shot at the semi finals but that doesn't mean this will be an easy match. Everton has been on fire since their points deduction and they were probably the better team when they faced off against Fulham at the start of the season.

Fulham will be without Raul, Ream, and Traore, but Bassey may be available. I expect both teams to put out their best available lineups and I think it should be close. Fulham has won their last three matches at Goodison but getting a fourth will be tough.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

When the draw was made, I was "woo hoo!!!" all things considered. Given Everton's recent form, and it's another trip to Goodison to boot, now I'm "D'oh!!!"
    COYW

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Good grief. From the look of the stats, I’m glad to not be watching this one. One shot from a free kick and one touch in the opponent’s box for the entire first half? Won’t complain about the score though.

SoCalJoe, MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Semis!!!

SoCalJoe and astroevan like this.
  5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Well…that was kinda nutty…but I’ll gladly take it!
    Onward to the next round!

7. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

For reasons unknown I thought this game was tomorrow. I didn't realize my mistake until the 70th minute. I was home with a "sick" kid so I could have been watching from the start. Oh well. In case you were curious my kid was miraculously better just a couple hours after school started. He got me.

SoCalJoe, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Phew. I mean… Woo!

I’m not sure what to make of that performance but I’ll happily take a trip to the semis.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  9. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

We were the less bad team.

Such a messy game. I can’t remember the last time I saw so many mis-played passes.

Also, it was so refreshing to have a VAR-free match. Yes, Pickford did come forward on Bobby’s PK, and the ref missed it, but I have become convinced that this sport is better off without VAR. I’ll take the mistakes. I think all we need is goal-line tech, and, in the richer leagues, semi-auto offsides, and the failable human refs can handle the rest.

Bring on the semis!

10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Who else thinks Mitro would have muffed that high pressure shot Vinicius slotted home? Of course maybe he could have produced more to have avoided a shoot-out, but I feel so much better without him involved in PK's anymore. Did Pickford get a hand on five Fulham shots? It seemed like he might have, so I was surprised he didn't keep more out. Now let's see who Fulham gets in the Semis!

It seems like Fulham have given up a lot of late goals when they just couldn't hoof the ball out of the box. It hits someone, falls kindly for the other team, and then the ball is in the net and Fulham is deflated. I don't know if it is a sign of something or they've just been unlucky. At least this time it had a happy ending after the improbable finish to the shoot-out. Tosin for the winner?!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    astroevan, SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I wish we had a Hand Up emoticon, because I think Mitro would’ve blown the spot kick.

12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

It will be Liverpool. So, looking forward to the Fulham v. Middlesbrough final! :D

nevzter likes this.
  13. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

If we play Liverpool like we did in the league, we have a chance to get to the final.

MicahMan likes this.