Fulham at Burnley

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Feb 2, 2024.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham travels to play Burnley on Saturday with kickoff at 10am EST on Peacock.

Fulham's loss to Burnley was probably the most discouraging result of the first half of the season. They were the only one of the bottom five teams that Fulham didn't beat in their first meeting. The other four teams combined to score one goal against Fulham while Fulham bagged 10 goals against them. Then against Burnley, Fulham got zero goals and Burnley had two. The two other wins Burnley have this season were against fellow relegation candidates Luton and Sheffield. It was one of two times this season Burnley had a shut-out. This loss made no sense for Fulham. I'm not even really sure what happened since I was in an airplane for the match and couldn't watch the highlights after I landed. That was probably for the best.

So, bottom line is that Fulham really needs to get three points from this one. Don't tell me that Fulham hasn't won at Turf Moor since 1951! No excuses! Well except that Fulham is dealing with a number of injuries (Wilson, Diop, Raul, and Traore) and absences (Iwobi and Bassey) with Nigeria winning again on Friday in AFCON. So those are some pretty good excuses, but anything other than a Fulham win will be a huge disappointment.

I fully expect Broja to start. If he manages to score as part of a Fulham win, we'll all feel pretty good about the back half of the season.

nevzter likes this.
  2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Get to help my sister-in-law move today so sadly I'll be watching at some point this afternoon.

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Ugh. The lack of effort in the second half is beyond frustrating. My footy app says that Fulham still had the majority of the momentum but I never felt like they were going to get another goal.

nevzter likes this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

What can you say? I’m not gonna use the f-word that ends in ish here because this doesn’t fit. I knew they would score again after the first one. You can’t take your foot off the gas in this league with a 2-nil lead before halftime. Leon’s been great for us, but his exuberance in going for the interception instead of staying home on the first goal was a howler of the highest order. We’re getting punished to the hilt this season for bad choices on the pitch. Raul’s at Newcastle was probably the worst, but this one was pretty bad. We’re not good enough to see out a 2 goal lead with half the match or more to go. Hate, hate, hate dropping points from a winning position. Only positive from today: our striker scored. The available evidence suggests otherwise, but maybe he’ll get on a roll? Stop snickering…

nevzter, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

After Burnley got their first goal the second felt inevitable. Both their goals came off of players misjudging the flight of the ball which was just weird. The second goal was also a stroke of luck similar to Maupay's earlier this week (no intention of hitting the ball with the scoring foot, but it still happened). I am often nervous when Fulham sends everyone forward on corners with a late lead. I appreciate going for another score, but this isn't the first time that Fulham gave up a goal from a leading position when the opposing team threw everything at a counter from a corner. I was also uncomfortable switching up the back line late in the match, which clearly didn't work out as intended. The Turf Moor jinx continues.

Credit to Muniz for that really smart finish. I said to my wife that since he got a start today when I thought he would on the bench he was sure to score.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  6. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Or Munoz as the color guy refered to him as at least a half dozen times. I do miss the championship games with just one announcer. Tough game. Feels a bit like a loss.

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

That was driving me crazy! He butchered some other names (and nouns and verbs) too but somehow Muniz caught the worst of it.

8. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Muniz MOTM. Who would've thunk.

Definition of Fulhamish.

We play Bournemouth at home next. 4:3.

nevzter likes this.