Fulham Alumni Report

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Aug 9, 2008.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Nathan Ashton took part in Wycombe Wanderes Johnstone's Paint Trophy 7-0 drubbing at the hands of Shrewsbury. Ashton came off on 73 minutes having only been part of allowing 3 goals, with Shrewsbury piling on the pressure to score 4 more after his departure. Ashton's only involvement in the squad to this point had been substitution appearances and it's a safe bet that he won't find any time with the first team any time soon as evidenced by his exclusion in the 16 for their match against Grimsby Town on Oct. 11. Remarkably, Wycombe sit atop the standing in League 2 even though they suffered such a heavy defeat in Cup play.

Michael Timlin was an unused sub for Swindon Town against Milwall in a 2-1 loss on Sept. 28. Timlin then went the ful 90 on the 3rd of Oct against Hartlepool and played well in a 3-3 draw. Timlin had a free kick tipped over the bar but saw his side squander a lead in a match that saw two hat tricks. Timlin again played the full 90 for Swindon in their 3-1 loss against Huddersfield on Oct. 11. Timlin won a penalty kick for his side but the shot was saved, and Huddersfield used the momentum from the miss to run out clear winners.

2. LOBO

LOBO New Member

Too bad about E.J. Hopefully he can step it up and find a groove, but with 5 minute cameo appearances it doesn't seem likely. He may find himself back in the MLS very soon...

Encouraging news about Hameur. At least he is getting some regular playing time even though he's blowing his scoring chances. Probably a matter of time before to starts finding the net...

Cheers for keeping this thread updated! :3d footy:

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

4. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Gabriel Zakuani started for DR Congo on saturday in their World Cup qualifier. They lost 2-1 to Malawi, but it's good to see another one of our players in competitive international matches. I still like Zakuani, I think he's a smart and steady player, and he's done nothing but perform at all of the lower levels...it's just a matter of whether or not he has the ability to keep up at the top.

A few other overseas alumni of note:

Bjorn Runstrom - OB - 9 starts, 2 goals (also played in the Intertoto Cup)
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... &TEID=1528

Chris James - Tampere United - 11 starts, 4 subs, 3 goals
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... &TEID=3212

Jaroslav Drobny - Hertha Berlin - 7 league + 2 UEFA Cup starts
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... &TEID=1179

Jari Litmanen - FC Lahti - 4 starts, 4 sub, 3 goals
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... &TEID=3063

Facundo Sava - Arsenal (in Argentina - MLS isn't the only Europoseur league!) - 7 starts, 3 goals
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... &TEID=5789

Junichi Inamoto - Eintracht Frankfurt - 3 starts, 1 sub
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... 36&TEID=79

Carlos Bocanegra - Rennes - 8 league + 2 UEFA Cup starts
    http://touchline.onthespot.co.uk/guardi ... 6&TEID=586

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, guys. It occurs to me that I'm a little tardy in my updates for Moncur and Omozusi. I'll dig something up.

I love the fact that this thread has so many reporters!

6. richardhkirkando

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Thanks guys for all of the updates, I've really enjoyed the thread so far...

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

One of my former favorites Papa Bouba Diop's steady presence in the Portsmouth lineup has led to some fine performances from Pompey. In their last match against Stoke, Diop went the distance and was a menace to the Potters throughout. Papa did a good job of gettig forward into attacking positions and his passing was spot on and led directly to several opportunities in a 2-1 Pompey win. Sean Davis also played the full 90 for Portsmouth. The two suited up on Sept 13 in a 2-1 win over Boro, and also a 3-0 win over Everton on August 30. The good news for both players is the club wins when they are on the pitch, but in the matches they have not seen any action, Pompey were destroyed 6-0 to ManCity and 4-0 to the Blue Poo. Look for more playing time for both players as Pompey certainly have been better with them in the lineup.

Frank Queudrue continues to rot on the Birmingham City bench. Que had made one substitute appearance in a League Cup match for the Blues and looks as though he'll continue on the pine for City. Frank has been stellar for the Birmingham reserves however scoring 2 goals in 4 matches.

Zesh Rehman, who came from Fulham's youth academy and made several appearances with the first team, has made little impact with Blackpool this season. Zesh who is on loan from QPR with whom he signed after leaving Fulham, was on the bench but failed to appear in Blackpool's match agaisnt Coventry City on Sept. 27. Rehman did appear for the final 4 minutes of Blackpool's 1-0 win over Birmingham City on Sept. 20. Rehman played the final 9 minutes in the Tangerine Army's 1-0 win over Southampton on August 30th. Zesh came on for an injured player in the 49th minute of Blackpool's 1-1 draw with Norich City. Both goals were scored after his appearance, although he wasn't directly involved in the Canaries goal which was assisted by none other than former Cottager Dejan Stefanovich who headed a set piece back across to the goalscorer. Elliot Omozusi was also called for a foul and subsequent penalty from which Blackpool scored.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Former Fulham playesr Tomasz Radzinski & Paul Stalteri went the entire match for the Canadian National Team in their 2-2 draw against the Mexican National team on Oct. 15. Radzinski put in a tremendous performance as he was everywhere on the pitch and finished with a goal and an assist. Canada took the lead through Radzinski's strike partner Ali Gerba who began the scoring after taking down a chested ball from Radzinski and firing home from just outside the penalty area in the 12th minute. After a Mexican goal tied the match, Radzinski got in behind the defence and slotted home a cross from Gerba in the 49th to make it 2-1 for the Canadiens. The Mexicans fought back to get another goal and then the Canadiens left two solid chances go by the wayside. Stalteri who was very impressive running up and down the right flank made a tremendous run with the ball and his rocket shot from outside the area cannoned off the top of the crossbar. Radzinski then was able to get behind the defence on a long ball and went just wide with the keeper coming out to cut down the angle.

Here are the match highlights. you may want to fast forward past the national anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzmBOgM ... re=related

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

EJ gets some time. Eddie Johnson got 25 minutes of action for Cardiff in their 2-2 draw with Watford yesterday as Cardiff fought back from a 2 goal deficit to earn a point. Johnson did not do much in his time on the field however and City were helped by a man advantage. Last Saturday the 18th Ross McCormack, the man who took EJ's spot in the starting lineup a few weeks ago fired home two more goals in City's 2-0 win over Charlton. EJ came on for the final minute of the match. City benefited in this match as well playing against 9 men for over 35 minutes as Charlton had 2 men shown red.

Hamuer Bouzza played in the Charlton match against Cardiff City and went the distance yet again. Bouzza started the game nicely with a crisp pass to a teamate who shot wide. Hameur then shot into the side netting, sent in a perfect cross that his teamate headed behind the goal, put in nice through ball that his teammate botched on the attempted shot, and then had two more attempted shots saved by the keeper and sent over the bar. Bouazza twice more went close on goal but shot wide of both posts. After the red cards Bouazza was forced to be more defensive and never threatened much.
    Bouazza featured once again yesterday in Charlton Athletic's 2-0 loss at home to Bristol City. Bouazza got off to a flying start again driving a shot just over goal in the 4th minute, and forcing the keeper into a save a short time later. Bristol City took the lead in the 27th minute and Bouazza did not do much from that point on and was substituted in the 75th minute.

From what I can tell, Bouazza has been a fantastic attacking option for Charlton. He gets forward and in to positions where he has opportunties on goal but has been unable to put his chances on frame. I like how he can run through the defence with the ball and that is something we lack (other than AJ maybe), especially on the left hand side. My hope is during his loan, Hamuer can figure out how to find the back of the net so we can get him back and get him in the first team.

Lee Cook (if he does exist) has made 14 appearances for QPR this season, including 13 starts. He has no goals and 1 assist on the year although it was in Cup play. Don't think we miss him a bit.

Former Fulham Academy player Dean Leacock continues to feature in defence for Derby County. Leacock has made 8 starts and one substitute appearance for Derby this year and returned to the lineup from suspension in their last match, a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Blackpool. Leacock, a crowd favorite, has a club high 4 yellows on the season.

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Volzy played the full 90 in Ipswich's last two v Swansea and Nott'm Forest. In the former he drilled a shot that required a tipped save from the Swansea keeper.

Boca helped Rennes complete another shutout v Auxerre this past weekend. He played the full 90.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Niclas Jensen, Danish left back that Cookie brought in is back playing with his former club FC Kobenhaven. Jensen has made several substitute appearances but is not a regular in the first 11. When he was here at Fulham, he was the starting left back for a time until we signed Wayne Bridge on loan from Chelsea. After that, Jensen only made one more appearance and left the following year. Jensen made an appearance off the bench in Kobenhaven's 3-1 UEFA Cup win over Lillestrom on August 14. He also played 30 minutes in their 4-0 UEFA Cup win over Cliftonville July 17, and started and went the distance in their 7-0 demolition on the return leg. The only League match Jensen has featured in was a 3-0 win over Aalborg on September 21st and was only a cameo appearance off the bench.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, doggie; I'd lost track of him. Just checked, and he didn't leave the bench today in their home ass-whupping against St. Etienne.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

no prob...now I'm looking up Claus who I liked a lot, guy just used up all of our band aids, but man was he technical.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and The Fire are still benefitting from our Captain in their midst:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=237953&cc=5901

one goal of their haul of 5 last night. Brian didn't get credit for an assist on any of Rolfe's three goals, but you have to wonder how much disarray he caused in NYRB's defense that made the 5-spot possible.

16. richardhkirkando

Thought Claus retired, but he still had something to offer IMO. On a related note, I wonder what Philippe Christanval and Sylvain Legwinski are up to...

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

according to the always-accurate Wikipedia, each of these guys is without a contract at the moment.

I liked both of them. Leggy was a guy who could disappear for 40 minutes at a stretch and then hammer a goal home or deliver a killing through ball. Christanval was the best CB partner that Bocanegra had, IMHO, and I'd still take those two over any pairing I saw for the black 'n white except for Hangeland/Hughes [I never saw Goma when he wasn't limping, and never saw Cookie play at all].

At least Leggy had a good career. As for Christanval, he just couldn't get out of the sick bay. Sad.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Christanval, Simon Elliott, Mark Pembridge....none of those guys could get out of the trainers room.

and yes Claus Jensen is retired and I think that's a shame. He's only 31 and man did that guy have skill on the ball. I would take him on RSL!

19. Bocacrumbs

Bocacrumbs New Member

I remember the goal he scored against Arsenal a couple of season ago. Perfect placed 'loop' right over the keeper.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it makes you realize how fragile these guys' careers really are. Elliot and Pembo had long runs, so did Legwinski, but guys like CJ and Christanval only have that "if only" experience.

When I was a little kid, the Class D Albuqueque Dukes had a center-fielder named Del Brogden. About mid-July the guy was hitting around .360 and playing defense like Willie Mays. In a game my dad took me too, he went full blast into the concrete outfield wall chasing a fly ball [no warning tracks in those days] and broke his right wrist. He was gone for the season, got a look in the following year when he was "healed." He was hitting about .220 when the Athletics cut him.

Of all the sad words of tongue or pen,
    The saddest are these "it might have been."