Fred in Texas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Dec 24, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Saw a rare thing this afternoon. You must remember that the Texas primaries are late in the season and seldom, if ever, do you see a bumper sticker for a candidate that isn't actually on the ticket.

In my part of the world, the most popular stickers are:

1. W04
    2. God Bless President Bush and Our Troops
    3. Re-elect Bush-Cheney
    4. My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy [sorry you didn't make it, Kinky]
    5. Honk if I'm an Aggie

But, getting back to today, I saw my very first Fred Thompson ad of any kind in the state. On the back of a brand-new Cadillac driven by a 70-year-old anglo [natch]. The sticker read: "Fred Thompson, 2008, Security, Unity, Prosperity."

Got me thinking.

1. Security=natch. Everybody knows that a Democrat in the White House would mean burkas on Panama City Beach by Spring. Only the Republicans can keep us from being murdered in our beds by nasty homosexual Muslim college professors.

2. Unity=unity within the party. That's because the Republican Party has been so fragmented for the last 7 years. All that dissent in Congress. But then I thought, maybe he means unity like Bush meant "uniter" -- as in, "we'll achieve unity when every one of you assholes agrees with everything I say." Of course, for the last seven years we've had no problem in knowing what the president wants. NOBODY knows what Fred wants -- including him until he reads the script.

3. Prosperity=more prosperity for white guys who drive brand new white Caddys. That seems on message for the RNC.

Another comment. I've actually seen two Democratic bumper stickers for Obama, one for Hillary and another for Dennis K. But nothing for Huckabee, nothing for Mit Romney, nothing for Sam Brownback even!

There is ONE candidate however, who rates a 3/4 size billboard as well as around 50 stickers and an equal number of signs -- many of them home made. This is also the only candidate who's gotten any positive letters to the editor so far. And Pettyfog and Smokin' and the rest of us know who THAT candidate is.

So, by the time my primary comes around, I'll see if any major race is actually contested and then vote again. I missed the last primaries because I signed a petition to get Kinky Friedman on the ballot, but I'm sure I'll vote in one or the other primary.

Ah Democracy. Boy, am I glad I don't live in New Hampshire, Iowa, or South Carolina.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to 'fog, the two aren't mutually exclusive!

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I see quite a few on the democratic side up here in Minnesota, mostly Obama but a sprinkling of others. Apparently a lot of volunteers making their way south to Iowa as well.

5. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Don;

Ron Paul has more political flare than others because he invests in Asian "Paul-bots" that are not only automatic and work around the clock making stickers, banners, and humans carrying signs, but he does it more accurately and for less money... while being made of solid led.

Ron Paul's 'bots also take the initial $ 75 dollars RP started his campaign with and daytrade penny stocks while spoofing IP's, stealing the identity of freedom hating Americans, and re donating it to the campaign.

OK, I'm done....

I enjoy hearing about this, because it is not JUST an endorsement of the self motivation of his supporters nation wide, but some sort of indicator that college kids are motivated to cross state lines and be involved. This hasnt happened before. NOPE NEVER.

Its doesnt mean he'll win, but it may mean in a election or two, the true Republicans will reform the base and take back that party. I'm guess the GOP will have no choice, because if they loose this election, they will topple over come the midterm elections.... and we'll be faced with something equally as bad as a GOP majority...

Anyone catch Meet the Press Sunday?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hope you're right, Smokin'. I've followed Ron Paul for far too long to want him to be president or even on the ticket of a major party, but he's talking positive and he's energizing kids.

When I taught high-school seniors, when I taught college, and now that I'm a church young adult group facilitator, I've said that government and the two political parties will never care what young people want and say until they start turning out in November. Several people have tried to make this happen -- Rock the Vote was my latest disappointment in this venue. Perhaps RP can energize them not only to carry signs and talk him up on the Internet, but also to actually vote.

By the way, you're so clever for realizing who all those republican signs/stickers/letters to the editor were pushing.

7. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Ron Paul is everywhere here in Florida, thats a great thing imo.