Fox wins rights to 2018 and 2022 World Cups

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by tim, Oct 21, 2011.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Per a report this morning: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/world/story/fox-wins-2018-2022-world-cup-tv-rights-reports-102111

Thoughts anyone? Fox has been super aggressive in picking up rights, and trying to grow the audience by putting some games on the broadcast network, etc.

Is this the death knell of soccer on ESPN? They have Euro next year, but not sure how far that partnership extends. Of course, they still have WC 2014 in Brazil. But after that, is it just some USMNT and MLS matches? How's that going to stack up to what Fox will soon be offering?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It would put ESPN at disadvantage for soccer viewers, but that's about it. My guess is they'll probably increase their offer for rights in the coming years. I would prefer ESPN won rights to broadcasting, simply because they have more channels availalbe to show soccer with most cable premium channel line-ups. I still can't get Fox Soccer Plus here with Comcast, which is crazy for our market area. :roll:

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I know Don will be real broken up at the prospect of less Ian Darke.

I can't stand ESPN these days, so good news as far as I'm concerned. Plus when it comes to platforms, while ESPN is probably ahead on internet content, when it comes to channels, Fox has slightly more alternatives to deliver the WC. Unfortunately, the FS channels aren't as widely distributed. Adding the WC may help in that area.

4. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I'd say Fox will use Fox, and say FX to show matches and not FS or FS+. They paid big money for the rights, they want to make sure they get their money's worth back from advertising with bigger audiences. So unless FS and FS+ are available in the same number of households as Fox and FX I don't see them showing any matches there. I bet they would do some highlight and analysis shows on those channels. You have to figure they would use the WC matches to promite FS and FS+.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The downside is that, by 2018, Darke and Harkes will be working for Fox.

The upside is that, by 2018, I'll spend most of my day drooling into my beard and won't know what the hell the World Cup is.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think it's a good thing. Like others have said the world cup will be shown on FOX, not FSC. ESPN is a bit slicker, and is the sports authority in this country, but it's time for the World Cup to be shown on a major free access network station. Y'all complain about Darke and Harkes; it's Chris Sullivan I cant stand. The truth is we all watch too much soccer so we're going to eventually get sick of anyone. It's a lot of listening to the same person talk about the same thing.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I think FOX will use FOX and FX (they have added college football to FX this year and are looking to add more to that station) and probably show replays of the games on FSC and Plus.

All of this said, it is still seven years away so a lot can change between now and then when it comes to announcers/production/and so on.