Footy Misc for our time

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Aug 17, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Bill Simmons, ESPN, on USA v Mex

A MUST READ by a non-soccer writer. H/T
    - - - - - -- - -
    RSL Fan moans about MLs offal's
    If the guy actually paid attention to footy, he might note that the Ref's in EPL are relatively just as bad. Worst is the incidents he complains about were pretty much by the book.

Not one has the GK pulling the ball 4 feet back over the goal line

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the post 'fog, Interesting article. Didnt quite finish it but it appears he waxed on about Altidore, which is fine, only not over the US - Mexico match. ANd he didnt mention Davies who I think of late makes more of an impression.

However, the description of the conditions at Azteca was very good for reinforcing my decision to forsake soccer as the wretched sport that it is. The international game is what originally attracted me to the sport and now I see it is futile. Of course, I'll check the scores now and then, make sure everyone is okay, that sort of thing.

3. pettyfog

Mo' de-camps?

WHAT!!!

There MUST be more to it than that! If you'd been to USA Mex at CCS it should have been much different, save a few bad actors.. I know it was in 05.

You need to write a long essay on your views.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I do hope you're being sarcastic Mo! As if someone as on top of it as you wouldn't have known that flying objects were part of the package. After all, in this country the words soccer and riot are associated with one another just as much as peanut butter and jelly are.

Personally, an entirely sanitized world is not one I would wish to live in.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Amazing that a guy who admittedly knew next to nothing about soccer could see this Sanchez-like approach to the game. And they need for a left back.

6. pettyfog

Two things...

he CLAIMED to know little or nothing.. but mainly just didnt care for it. His allusions to basketball however are not an accident, there's a lot of similarity in playmaking isnt there.

And Mo... I suggest you regroup and focus on the Crew, maybe. There's some lovely stuff going on down in cols.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yeah, if you judge the sport by the World Cup and it's qualifiers, you'll find yourself wanting. It's funny, I tend to forget how bad the World Cup really is until I watch one. Probably why they run it every four years and not sooner.

I like the midlife crisis bit. Might explain how I fell into the sport looking back on it.

8. pettyfog

Flying Pigs..

MLS in running to buy USL

Ye-{snort}-ah, RIGHT!
    How to put this.. oh, I know, let's grab a BS Crew Fan comment:

I could'a worded it better, like 'buying 'em one at a time for {minus}$40 million'
    -but-
    Game set match

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Flying Pigs..

Hey, if Tom Delay is going to dance on television, anything is possible

10. Clevelandmo

'Fog you were right about the US Mexico match in Columbus being a great atmosphere with the Mexicans (in fact I mentioned that in my rant on the azteca game thread), but you might remember that I was pretty peeved about the conditions at Crew stadium for that game; made me in no hurry to haul my but all the way down there to see a Crew game. And I was far from the only one. So I have forsaken Crew stadium also. I am Irish and can hold a grudge with the best of them. If I were a soccer fan anymore, I would be a fan of Cleveland City or just go see some U of Akron games

11. Clevelandmo

Spencer this is my first time 'round watching the US play WC qualifiers at Saprissa and Azteca. I had heard about he conditions but that's not the same as actually witnessing it while you went into the game caring. I guess I dont have the mettle for it. But I must say I'm surprised that no one else on here thinks sending players like Dempsey, Gooch, Davies, etc from Europe to that futile effort when they need to be with their teams is worthwhile.

And I'm really not a fan anymore, I just ended up on the site by accident. Pushed a wrong button or something

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Say it ain't so, Mo. Say it ain't so.

As to why send the Europe based players to Azteca? Remember that it took two absolute wonders of a goal to beat us. On another night each of those two screamers could have hit row Z, instead each found the only square foot of space where a goal was possible. That doesn't seem remarkable, but remember that both goals were hammered. Also remember the Davies missed a hat-trick by a total of perhaps 12 inches.

2-1 was a fair result considering the overall quality of Mexican play in the 2nd half, but I wouldn't have been embarrassed at 1-1 or 2-2.

Azteca is a tough place to play, but we didn't play poorly, and it did us good for our "best 11" to play against the Mexican's first choice. We're going to play them again in CONCACAF, and we learned a lot.

By the way, Up the Cleveland City and Up the Zips!!!

Football's the beautiful game, Ms. Maureen. Stay with it -- and us.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Wow - you cant be swayed by a few knuckle heads! If you want something to turn your stomach and heart away from football start looking closely into fifa and the scams they run.

By the way - there is no getting away from it. Tell yourself you are off it if you want, but it is in you now.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

see what you've done, Mo; you've got me agreeing with Jensers ferchrissake.

Come back baby, football never forgets

15. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i'm with 'Mo.

anyone else up for some badminton?

16. Clevelandmo

have you ever seen people that are serious about badmitten play? they get crazy too - swat the birdie as hard as they can with venon in their eyes right at you

I think I'll try scrapbooking.