Five Reasons to Watch MLS

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Feb 29, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I happened to be watching on TV one of Brian McBride's earliest matches with Fulham. The British "color" announcer was almost having an orgasm describing the class and quality of the new American striker as demonstrated in Korea/Japan, his earlier spell with Everton, and his consistent quality in MLS.

I firmly believe that anyone who denigrates the scoring records of American strikers in the MLS or, say, David Healy's international scoring record has not done a lot of striking himself. Scoring goals against a defense designed to keep you out is a devilishly difficult thing to do. Yes, it's harder to score in serie A than in the MLS, but it's still bloody hard. Anyone who can score consistently in the MLS can do so elsewhere.

Finally, can we all agree that we understand that Lyle and PCB and a couple of others are never going to appreciate the MLS? And that it will not become necessary for them to weigh in and trash the league for us to understand that they don't rate it highly?

If so, then perhaps we can leave the MLS-related threads for those who want to talk about the league and have sides to support. And then, perhaps, those anti-MLS folks will just ignore those threads, much as I ignore pretty much anything dedicated to the NFL or NHL.

This has been a public service announcement by a really old, but incredibly good-looking, guy! 8)

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Re: PCB at it again!

Fixed your post, sublicon. Glad to return the favor. :3d devil:

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: PCB at it again!

Don, I agree, but I am pretty sure someone dragged my name into this at the beginning.

I'll make a deal with everyone, don't mention me when talking about MLS (there, said it), and I won't have to point all the obvious reasons you fanboys are all an ongoing, and increasingly more funny, joke.

Capisce?!?!
    (In honour of all those Italian defenders who are ridiculously hard to get around or score on, but make it look like they hardly break a sweat while doing their job.)

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Don and FFConPCP...where's the fun in that???

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm fine with keeping on. Especially since when I checked back to see who it was that brought me up at the beginnning of the thread was........Don!!! :wow:

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ah well; just take it easy on the newbies, will ya?

7. EricD

EricD New Member

I say keep on keeping on.
    What is the purpose of the site if we are not sharing what we think whether it is postiive or contructively crirticizing (hahahaha)?

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am a fan of the MLS and appreciate it for what it is becoming. I don't think it is one of the stronger leagues in the world but I do believe it has come a long way in a short period of time. I am grateful to get the chance to watch guys like Maurice Edu (who I became a big fan of during the last MLS season) and Brad Guzan. The MLS has attracted the attention of other leagues who pay to take the best talent out of the MLS which does make the MLS a feeder league. However, to me that is a big step forward from where we were 12 years ago where guys like Edu and Guzan could have fallen through the cracks rather then continuing soccer as a carrer.

To PCB - A pox on you for your overwhelming negativity. May Guzan never protect the Celtic goal and instead go to Rangers where he can torment you at least a couple of years before moving on to bigger and better things! ;)

9. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: PCB at it again!

I live to be a joke. It's what I'm here for. I've learned long ago to not fold under the criticism of others and I will gladly fill the role of "joke" seeing as how i like to make people laugh (even if it is from their own cynicism).

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: PCB at it again!

This is pure trash PCB. Your blind spots on this issue are enormous and unrelenting. Your version of constructive criticism seems to be "forget improvement, forget ambition, and just give away your players on the first asking to any club from the continent or anywhere in the vicinity of it regardless of circumstances”. It’s is like beating and verbally abusing a child every night and then claim your doing it because you love the kid.

Once again you cite MLS fanboyisms as proof of your argument yet don't bother to cite any examples or quote anyone. Preferring to just keep repeating the same "rose colored lenses" lines as many times as you can and wait for it turn true. The best you've done this time around is to post an editorial by someone else whose point hinges on a few players leaving for Scandinavia. Ignoring the fact that others have come back from Scandinavia only to be half the players they were over there and the marginal MLS players have gone over to be top players.

And lastly your notion that those of us who actually SUPPORT the domestic league are hurting it is a use of pretzel twisting logic is worthy of right wingnut radio. Whatever you need to do to keep justify this untenable position of yours brother.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

It's all PCB's fault, lets burn him!

I don't understand the need that many have to try to compare the MLS to other leagues (for good or bad). Enjoy the football for what it is, as a Fulham fan of some time I can guarentee that I have seen Fulham play a much worse brand and level of football than the MLS, but it never stopped me enjoying the game and savouring the wins. If you have a team, back it, regardless of the level.

Stop trying to compare the MLS to other leagues, don't try and guess where it will be in 20 years time, but enjoy the journey. I hope the US continues to produce good players, that the MLS inspires kids to play and that people can enjoy the MLS for what it is, not what it may be or what it lacks. I bet Clint Dempsey would not be a Fulham player now if it was not for the MLS so it gets my vote.

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

What do you know about having kid??

Worrying about how the MSL ranks on a global club scale is not supporting the league. It is instead a futile attempt to justify your fanboy support of a league that in your and other fanboys' minds will challenge the big European leagues competitively.

Let it go. It is wasted energy by all you fanboys, and it not only stunts your growth, but that of future fans and the league in general . Worry about creating soccer fans and soccer communities (just like they have for over a 100 years in Europe) for now.

Here is something I know quite well from having a child, they have to walk before they can run. Right now, the MSL is still breast feeding. Once you and the league are off the teet, I'll be happy for you to try to have a more mature and well thought out discussion of the topic.

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

All very good points Gary...but it's just human nature to compare what you have to other bigger and better things, or sometimes worse things. But you make numerous points that illustrate why many watch the MLS and why many do not.

And how the hell did you get your name on this thread FFConPCP?!?! In any case, I must say your analogies are inspiring...

14. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

You know what, Dammit?
    I am going to pay attention to MLS this year.
    The "pro" arguments are convincing, and the "con" arguments sound like angry old men...

Now, I just have to figure out which team....I know it won't be the 'Herbalifes' or the 'Xangos'. Prolly Houston (closest to my old home town) - too bad they don't wear the hoops...

Does Blanco still play for Best Buy? Love that guy...

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think I need to write an essay about MLS and expectations.. I've said it all before but never in one place.
    I can do MOSt of it from the Crew perspective.
    Brad Friedel came into Columbus and rescued the season for us in 97, yet the keepers that followed him were no slouches, either. There was no gnashing of teeth because of GK quality dropoff {with ONE exception - Matt Napoleon}

Stern John excelled at back to goal, collect, turn and shoot -'Stern Turn'- but none expected him to set the English league on fire.. he had faults. Those proved out in his future clubs.

Boca was good in center defense but never a standout... at least in the games I saw at Columbus.

McBride was the center of Crew attention - was and is the ONLY generally recognized Crew soccer name in Columbus.. meaning he's known by those who never saw a game and never intend to. Yet he's not head and shoulders above the stats for the Crew, his forte and role was EXACTLY what it is now for Fulham.

Over the years, Crew fans moaning about 'long ball' tactics, both for Crew and MLS... different from Fulham, HOW?

- - - - -- - - - - - - -- --

It took McBride leaving to get me interested in the Prem, again. In the 90's the few games I got to see on ESPN left me cold as I was treated to interminable stretches of midfield passing practice. Prem fans and Euro litists deny this but it was true.. I once counted 20 consecutive passes in the center 30 without a single shot or play-through... or serious attempt at a tackle.
    Perhaps it was just unlucky.. but what difference does that make?

finally....Do you slag off fans of Luton or Preston? If you have a local team in reasonable driving distance and you DONT make the effort.. you arent REALLY a fan of the game.

PERIOD!