Five Reasons to Watch MLS

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

There's a poll on yanks-abroad. Out of 350 votes, nearly 50% rate MLS as most equal to the Championship league

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

:3d laughing:

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Eurosnobs always have a long list of objections to MLS. A few major issues they list as reasons that cannot, do not, never will watch MLS. While as time marches on and MLS improves it knocking away those excuses but the Europhiles always sounding vaguely threatened simply come up with new ones. Round and round we go.

Pretty tedious exercise I've grown tired of.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

After hearing that I am slowly starting to side with FFConPCP...

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

99% sure this is meant as the "Championship" aka The Fizzy Pop League,
    not the "Champions League". There is no question in my mind that DC United, Houston, New England, LA, and Chicago could certainly compete in England's second tier. My daughter's step-Grandad lives half the year here, half near where Plymouth plays (so I've seen them play on tape 6 times this season). They would by no stretch of the imagination dominate the MLS and are currently 6th in the Championship and are in a playoff position.

More than half the teams would be "Championship" level, the rest could certainly compete in "League 1".

6. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Aaaaah, I see it now, good call Joe...I was never good at the reading portion of standardized tests.

Thanks for the insight from somebody who's actually watched CCC play...can anybody else weigh in on the issue???

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Maybe he'd be playing in the Champions League, maybe not. Some mid-tier English teams wanted him if he had wanted to go back to England. He didn't actually play a whole lot at Real Madrid last year, but did help them out in the run-in towards the end of the Spanish season. He may not have played a lot for them if he had staid.

He's so comparable to Pele, Beckenbauer, and all the others at the Cosmos it ain't even funny.

Blanco, Reyna, Angel... the same goes for them as well.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Lyle. Beckham was arguably the best English player on the pitch in their last competitive game (against Croatia) and he was starting regularly at Real Madrid UNTIL he announced his signing for LAG. He had offers from top teams in the Spanish, Italian, and English leagues; something Blanco, Reyna, and Angel didn't have (i.e., they're not even in the same class).

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, until his injury he was ... along with Hargreaves and Joe Cole ... the best England player in the '06 World Cup.

I'll agree that having him in MLS is an anomaly, if you [Lyle] will agree that he's not diminished goods JUST BECAUSE he plays over on this side of the water.

Side note to my "interview buddy" -- I gotta say that if there's any play on a handle better than PettyFox, it's FFConPCP! You got served, CF!

That Belle is one funny chick!

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I read that as the Champions League the first time also.

I would imagine Houston and a couple others may be able to hack it in the Coca-Cola Championship.

In a somewhat ironic twist to pettyfog's earlier "all or nothing" quip, Spencer undoubtedly subscribes to that philosophy regarding MSL, but for nearly opposite reason. In Spencer's, and apprently a few others', minds, you either have to tout the MSL as some great American hope and contribution to the world game, or you are a turncoat who doesn't believe in the American domestic soccer league spirit and its ability to overcome all obstacles, as whatever they throw out there on the field will ulitimately become some of the best soccer product in the world, as the MSL and their legions chant "Yes we can!"

Buull-shiit. Save your nationalistic fervor for something more important, and relevant, like the upcoming Olympic qualifying.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Made me laugh when I read it. Reminds me of an friend from way back when who was in the band "Rich Kids on Acid". :rock:

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that even in its glory days, NASL was ALSO 'really crap'.

Otherwise the Cosmos would have just walked away with the cup each season.. and they didnt .

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He is diminished goods because he's slower, not because he's in the MLS. His right foot is still one of the best in the world, but he isn't the same player he once was. Therefore, he is over-the-hill. This is what they think in England and I don't disagree with them.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

PCB at it again!

You really couldn't be further off base PCB. I understand why not everyone shares my enthusiasm for MLS. I know, I know, I get it. Its not ManU, its not Real Madrid, its the Kansas City Wizards.

I simply object to the outright hostility often hatred directed towards MLS or anything that comes within a hundred mile radius of it. That is what I don't get. Its this constant screeching, pointing out every single flaw on can possibly conceivable, the "I will never ever watch it and it is and will always forever be crap" attitude. This is never ending and it always comes across as if the whining banshee, whoever it may be, feels threatened.

I have always simply contended that MLS is better than you give it credit for, on the up and up, and at this point measuring in quality to say the Swedish, Danish, Norwegian leagues. You however always chose to ignore such statements and put some supposed stereotypical MLS fanboy words in my mouth.

AND COME ON... Franke I know you can come up with a better faux acronym then MSL. The letters aren't even in the correct order and you've been using it several times per post for the last year and a half. Your letting yourself down, you can do better.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: PCB at it again!

Aw - the only reason the Brits are down on Becks is because he plays over here. If he'd have gone to one of the five or six Prem sides that came knocking, they'd be singing his praises. Becks was never fast, and the half-step he's lost wasn't ever part of his game anyway.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: PCB at it again!

Don't just take my word for it:

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mod ... nt&id=3750

Think on, MLS fanboys!

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

RE: Re: PCB at it again!

Ahhhhhh, it would still be cynical and focusing on the negatives. Thats not really helping your case (at least for me) right now.

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: PCB at it again!

Unfortunately, any words of constructive criticism are met by all you MLS fanboys the same way: negatively.

Quit hurting the domestic game with your rose-colored spectacles and unrealistic impressions of the league, and we all be better for and benefit from it.

As I have said many times before, my problem is not that I don't care about the domestic league, it is that I care TOO MUCH!! More importantly, our domestic players are my ultimate concern, and I see the MSL hurting them in far too many circumstances.

19. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

This arguement is pretty much over for me by now because there will always be two very contrasting viewpoints on the issue, which in most respects is a good thing.

One thing I have to mention though, and feel free to tear me apart on this because I have no idea who the commentators are for EPL games nor do I know how good they are in terms of soccer knowledge, is that I did hear something that I found very interesting during the Fulham broadcast on Saturday.

The color commentator referenced, numerous times, Eddie Johnson's goal scoring record with the Kansas City Wizards; which was something like 14 goals in 26 matches I can't recall the exact numbers. But during the first half the commentator said Johnson was playing terrible and nothing like his goal scoring record indicated.

Then, in the second half when he put a bullet off the corner of the post and crossbar, the commentator said something to the effect of him looking more like the player who had a great goal scoring record during his time in the MLS, or 'MSL' if your on PCP.

My point is that if the MLS was conceived to be such an inferior product in Europe and England especially, then the commentator would not have made mention of his good goal scoring record in MLS and would have just shrugged it off as goals that were scored because of the lack of quality in the league.

20. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Re: RE: Re: PCB at it again!

Fixed your post.

In my opinion, take the negative opinions and laundry lists of things wrong with the MLS, take em somewhere else.

It's called supporting your shit, local team/league whatever. I want to see live soccer, and the MLS is it, and that's all I need to know to buy my pair of season tickets every year. We can argue quality, marketing, blah blah blah blah . . what it comes down to is: it's the only live option we have, and it's getting better every year, and I'm proud of it.

End of story. Close the thread. God has spoken. ;)