Five Reasons to Watch MLS

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Feb 29, 2008.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That's fine. Ranking leagues is a great "other thread". But, I don't think there is one Middle School League team that could hack it in the Champions League, and probably only barely in the UEFA Cup, if!

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The weather excuse is a joke. I mean is it really any warmer in Boro or Lyon during the winter? Do they not have snow or bad weather from time to time? Play the games during the afternoon and the weather would not be a factor. You might get the odd snow game, but they have those too in Europe and if it is really that bad then you re-schedule.

Nice weather during the summer? Are you serious? In NYC last year I experienced 100 degree temps and it felt even hotter. Isn't this a risk to the players? With players droping like flies, certainly this should be a concern. In LA it can get up to 105 degrees and feel worse. That's not nice weather, that's hotter than hell weather.

Baseball is one of the big 3 sports in America. There is alot of games, but there is also alot of games played in Hockey and Basketball. I believe that the fan attendance would not disappear if it was played druing fall and spring. The die-hard fans would still be there along with parents that want to take their kids to a football match. I believe though that the MLS puts way to much into getting parents to take their kids to games. They should focus on their base of support and work from there and not the other way around.

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

It seems as though this thread has gone from me being an ambassador to the game in the U.S. to people whining about what needs to be changed or not be changed. It has been very interesting but it has gotten off topic. I stated 5 reasons why it would be good to watch the MLS and given the current circumstances count your blessings for now and hope for change in the future. This is a very exciting time for the sport in the states and I just want people to be there and support it and witness this.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

You are right Ianhux5, it is an exciting time for soccer in the US. I am enjoying it. Thanks for reminding us with the positive thoughts.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't be discouraged, ianhux; you've provided us with a thoughtful frame of reference and it ballooned into 5 pages.

Bring on the season.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Feck it. It is the most interesting, or at least entertaining, thread we have had in a while.

One theory says, if Fulham weren't looking relegation smack in the face, it would hardly be as relevant.

For the record, in case anyone was wondering, I give roughly two shiits about MSL.

Bring on the Fizzy Pop!!!!!

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I am quite content (more than content) with the way this thread and blossomed but the cynicism had to stop. It was driving me mad although i did expect this. I guess I wasn't prepared for the ferocity of both sides.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well, Ian, there are the realists, and then there are a bunch of passionately gooberistic homers, who somehow think every sport in the world revolves or should revolve around the United States.

It takes people who can think outside of the "Super Bowl, World Series, World Basketball Champion" mentality to really grasp the full reach and effect of the original football. It takes awhile for many, and never happens for quite a few.

9. IanHux

IanHux New Member

That is true, I guess I could (and would) use the MLS as a gateway to introduce people to the european game. After all, we're all avid supporters of our beloved Whites.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Cheers to that, Pal!

11. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Yes, its a bit like marijuana aka the MLS (oooh drug analogy, in caseyou haven't figured out that i love analogies), it leads to the harder stuff (europe). Yeah that might seem a bit out there.... but so am I.

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Trust Franek to stick with the contrarian view. he sees everyone as on one side or the other.

Put in perspective, if he was a Spaniard and loved basketball he wouldnt bother going to EuroLeague games.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

And he'd call it the RUE-O League.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm sure MLS introduces some people to European football, but most people probably know about European football by either going over to Europe or they like soccer and understand immediately that the best football is played in Europe.

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Beckham's international career is more or less finished Don. He'll get is 100th cap and that will be it probably. I haven't "craped" on MLS, I'm just writing truth.

Palmer made an argument that doesn't carry water and I just pointed that out.

16. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Did everyone hear the news??? The MLS just announced on their offal:

"With it's first pick in the 'apparently never going to amount to anything soccer leagues' draft, the MLS selects the Fulham Football Club from the city of London."

YES!!! YEEEEEEEEEES!!!

that's a lot of frequent flier miles...guess FFConPCP is gonna have to find another site to post on.

17. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Dude - most EPL teams can't hack it in the Champions League and not many more in the Cup.

Top to bottom, the European leagues have a large disparity in quality. The MLS has a far smaller disparity. So yes, the MLS can't compete with the top teams of the Euro leagues, but they can sure as heck do it at the bottom and give it a go in the middle. The question is, how do you judge a league? By it's top teams or by its median? Based on the median, the MLS is approaching the top 10 already.

Capello will give Beckham more than 1 cap, if he's healthy. He's still better than most of the squad he has to pick from.

Also, do you realize that if Beckham were not playing for the Galaxy, he would likely be playing in the Champions League this season? That's not exactly what I would call "over the hill."

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

*yawn* :roll:

19. EricD

EricD New Member

I watch the MLS. I watch the EPL. I watch international fixtures (any level of the USMNT). I watch the Champions League. I watch the Serie A. I watch the college games when I can, and sometimes I catch the Argentinian league (mostly coverage from FSC). I enjoy it all as long as I know what I am watching. It is similar to a speaker knowing his audience. I do not expect to watch the best play when RSL and the Galaxy are facing off. I expect to watch top level play in the elimination stage of the top teams in the Champions League, WC, Euro, etc... I have a greater emotional tie to the USMNT when they play because of my personal allegience, expectations and aspirations for the team (similar to FFC).

I think the MLS is improving. I think Beckham, Blanco and a few others can only help the league as long as they are healthy and playing (specifically Becks). They are types of players who can make others around them better. They have a greater demand of their teammates on the field during the game, so ideally these players will improve. That will ultimately lead to improvement of the overall game and league. There is an increasing amount of competition for roster spots with the influx of Central and South American players, so that is another way that could possibly increase the level of play.

Now, I agree that the MLS is a feeder-type league, and it will be until the level of play reaches point where it is internationally respectable. But, I like the idea that there is an opportunity for US players to get a chance here to show what they can do to possibly catch the eye of the international scouts, and possibly move onto a better opportunity.

The league is going through growing pains, and it will take a while to iron them out. Until then, I still watch as a fan of the game. I am always looking to see if I can spot the next target of the European teams, I like to watch the development of the USMNT players that are not on European teams (or if they are not performing too because I want the best for the USMNT), and I have hopes for the future of the sport here in the US.

20. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Good points Eric and as Don said earlier NOBODY on this site has ever argued that the MLS is on par with top European leagues.

It truely is a gateway league, but that's not bad considering where it was not even 20 years ago!!!...as in it didn't exist.

It is just assenine when people sit here and say that it is so bad they just don't watch it. The fact that this entire discussion has taken place just proves its emergence into the soccer world's consciousness.

Good discussion though, those are five great reasons to watch the MLS this year ian, and hopefully we'll have five better ones by the time the season is over.

And FFConPCP, you're a good sport. 8)