First Glimpse of London...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Team_of_McBrides, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

So I've finally made it. Hopped across the pond and starting to find my way about. Culture shock doesn't even begin to describe the differences between London and the lazy midwest back in the states.

In the two days that I've been in London I've went to maybe 5 pubs, including the hollowed Golden Lion. Watched England v. Russia and was a bit let down by the atmosphere at the pubs that I was at in Queensway. Probably were just locals for yanks and tourists. Stopped by today for a quick pint and to finally use the tube. Wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Thanks to Stu, Mike, Tom and Spencer for all of the tips thus far all of the tips thus far. Might be able to post some pictures later.

Can't wait for Wigan away this weekend (I'll be at the Golden Lion for that) and even more anxious for the City at home.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Have fun man and live it up. Don't forget to go to muesums and historical shit.

3. Team_of_McBrides

I am booked to see tons of sites and historical landmarks. Bit of a history enthusiast so I can't wait for the courses to get started and to see what England has to offer.

Piccadilly Circus might be in the plans tonight. Anyone ever been there before?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now there's a silly question!

Just remember, you're over there for all of us so send reports/take pictures, and have fun!

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Get to the continent if you can. It sounds like you're focused on Brittania, which is cool, but the continent has a lot to offer. If you're in to history, like I am, definitely get to Paris and the Louvre. Actually you can't go wrong wherever you go, cause there is history everywhere.

Amsterdam is also one of the most beautiful cities in Europe in my opinion. I was there last fall for the third time. Great architecture. Go.

6. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Queensway is probable not the best place to watch a football match, and to get atmosphere your need to find a Local pub in Fulham on game day.

Watch out for all the tourist traps in Piccadilly and especially if you end up in Soho.

Lyle is correct about Amsterdam but I dont remember much about the weekend I spent there?????

Barcelona is well worth a visit also and if you get a chance and a Ticket take in a game there also.

Good Luck wherever you end up and send pictures it's always nice to see dear Old Blighty my home town.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

You have my most sincere jealousy!

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Glad to hear you made it T_O_M!! Have fun and don't hesitate to send some pictures.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I enjoyed the Imperial War Musem imensley. Its free, its amazing. Theres a replica of a WWI bunker, its dark spooky with sound effects of gunfire, soldiers yelling, ect.. A guy walking the opposite direction came around the corner and I literally jumped and yelled! Also good spy and holocaust exhibit. I know the Holocaust stuff can be played out but this is a really griping exhibit. I'm not really a museum enthusiast but I spent over three hours in this one without noticing it. If your into history I'd hit this one up.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi T_o_M,

Glad to see you've made it safely. If you make it down to Wimbledon I will buy you some lunch.

There is loads to do round Piccadilly Circus and loads of good clubs. Do your research so you end up in a place where you like the music.

GBFC

11. tibor

tibor New Member

Have fun man. Could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't leave anything to chance.

:banana: :twisted: :banana:

12. BC

BC New Member

You have my jealousy as well! Enjoy yourself, it will be one of the greatest times of your life. I spent a semester in Aberdeen, Scotland and I swear a week doesn't go by that I don't think about some aspect of that time.

Some of the small, highland villages in Scotland are a wonder to behold. My favorite was Braemar. It's as picturesque as you can get.

If you make it to the continent, Switzerland is absolutely beautiful. Take a train ride through the Swiss Alps if you can. You'll never forget it.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Now for some contrarian views...

You're in London, you follow a London/English team.

FORGET touring, unless it's in the surrounding counties.

IMMERSE. Absorb. Get to know some people, get to know the towns. You'll remember that longer than you will the tourism parts.

I wont rule out a one or two day in Paris, ride the metro.. see Versailles and walk the Left Bank, walk Champs Elysee to Eiffel tower { going UP in it is lesser value}.

Here's something you'll probably remember, though... take the tube to or from High Holburn and report back on the escalators.
    ;)

Walk west, from St Pauls, on Fleet Street ... staying on the main drag...until there's nothing interesting to see.

Also on that walk:
    Stop at the Charing Cross McDonalds {count the service registers} and have a Big Mac, Fries and Choc Shake and think of me. Only way I maintained my weight in the four months I spent.

14. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I remember my month in London fondly. I still chuckle anytime I hear something on BBC about "to let".

When I first got off the plane and was riding around the city, I had to pee like none other. I asked my guide if we would stop at one of the buildings that kept saying "To let", thinking they had just forgotten the "i".

I had no idea they meant "to rent"!

15. Markus

Markus Member

Piccadlly-...sorry a bit late to the party here.

If you take a right out of the tube station past the fountain and head back south on Haymarket(?)...go south towards Trafalgar Square and there's an American type two-story bar where loads of 'septics' hang out. You quickly want out of there, but neat to see anyway (I watched the 03? MLB playoffs there w/ the cubs/Bartman incident).

After that, keep heading south and Kinda turn left towards Trafalgar Sq...there's another US tourist trap there "The Texas Embassy" restaurant. Mexican food below par but still kind of neat to see..(especially me being from TX).

I found myself hanging out in that general area quite a bit.

Oh, and there's a neat pub in Covent Garden called Punch'n'Judies...neat spot.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Thank you much for the tips and stories. I am starting to plan several day trips around London and the sites are fantastic. I've even had the pleasure of frequenting the Golden Lion. Watched 6 hours worth of football there last weekend. Great bunch there.

Next on the to do's for pubs is the Bricklayer's and The Fox & Hound.

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

What's your plan this week T_o_M? Maybe we can meet up for a pint...or at the very least we can meet prematch this weekend and I'll introduce you to the Brick.

18. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Punch n' Judy's is awesome...

I enjoyed The Cutty Sark in Greenwich when I was there.

I'm very jealous...hopefully, I will be over there next summer :D!

19. claude

claude New Member

London

Hi mate

Agree with people who say avoid the touristy areas, there's really nothing there that you won't already have seen somewhere else and you'll get overwhelmed by all the tourists who don't know where they're going.

Some ideas:

cross Westminster bridge after dark or very early in the morning. Being over the Thames at times like that can be really beautiful.

in fact anywhere in London early morning is really nice. It's the crowds that mess it up!

Try some of the old pubs around Fitzrovia (e.g. the Wheatsheaf). There's no TV or anything in most, but these places have a really good old-school vibe. That area, around the British Museum and behind Tottenham Court Rd really appeals to me, for some reason.

Come down to somewhere like Tooting for the evening. It's not far from Fulham but a real down and dirty part of London. Come out of the Broadway tube station and try one of the Indian restaurants on the High St. Superb. Might be a bit of a shock to the system but it'd be "real".

Maybe go for a guided tour of Lord's cricket ground. Even if you don't know cricket, you'll dig the history of the place. Amazing.

If you want to do shops try somewhere like Marylebone High St, which is a bit away from most of the crowds but still maintains a Londony feel.

Nip into Crockatt & Powell booksellers down Lower Marsh! Sorry, obligatory plug, but if you like books these are good lads....

But I guess the main thing is to explore, go where your vibes take you, see what happens. It's a much smaller city than it looks, and really does reward walking (as opposed to getting on the tube) around. You'll see so much more and it won't take that much longer than the underground does.

cheers then
    Rich

20. jmh

jmh New Member

RE: London

Man, reading this thread makes me want to go back to London.

Wait, I am! :D