Fire=Frustration

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by DawgTheDon, May 13, 2009.

1. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Not sure how many more draws I can handle this season. Last Saturday I literally spent 10 minutes or so with my face buried in my hands...just sitting in front of my computer. Eventually my wife said "So, did the Fire lose or draw".

You know its getting bad when my reaction is the same for a loss or a draw.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! {No, dont.. that's called a 'rhetorical device'} 8)

And now, pettyfog puts on his critical thinking cap and responds to hyperventilating Fire fan:
    Short version:
    Look at the East table. Who's on top.. and who's on bottom, and where Fire is. As a Crew fan, whose team is bottom of the East table, I aint worried about anyone in the East but the Chicago Fire. And if I aint worried, why the hell are you?

Long Version:
    However, it only FEELS that way when you have no losses. Nows the time you start looking for, and paying attention to Power Rankings
    See.. on MLSNET, fire is #3!

We all know that's bullhockey though, dont we. Fire, right now is the best team in MLS. Except PERHAPS Chivas

We know that because of the 'intangibles we gathered in our heads. Another example is KC, rated #8. Also BS. Even though KC didnt play well at Bridgeview, there was that little something that on lookback said it WASNT JUST a breakdown in the Fire D. Then if you watched the Crew KC game, you were pretty sure of it.

So where do you go for verification that the Fire is doing better than the record indicates?

To the Crew BS board, natch where we've had one guy working on the problem of REAL predictions for a couple seasons. On his algorithm, Fire is #1.
    {I cant scrape that ranking table to here, incompatible code}
    There's some headscratchers on the Foos factor though... look at Gals and Chivas rankings compared to ELO and Pyth. But KC is where they belong and so is Seattle.
    And we all know DC doesnt belong on top of the East table.

So now... all you have to worry about going forward is the PSYCH factor. That's hugely hard to quantify and where you have to worry about the Crew and Fire PSYCH factors, respectively.

And isnt that how it really SHOULD be, at this point in time?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dawg, it's always a conundrum: is a draw a point stolen or is a draw two points dropped?

Hang in there. You've got a great product to watch, and BMB plays for your team. What's not to love?