FIFA limit photos of World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Feb 23, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This has got to be the dumbest move FIFA has made in regards to the World Cup. Here's the story:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 88&cc=5901

I don't understand why newspapers will not be able to publish photos online. People are going to put their own up and could easily scan newspaper photos online. There is no way FIFA could stop World Cup photos from making their way online, so why put such restrictions on the media?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This is hilarious.... what is FIFA going to do if the press simply ignores it, ban the photogs and reporters from remaining matches? Have they realized the backlash from that?

And how will they find out? Do they have an army of 'moles' ... or some interns bravely scanning the net while the action is going on?

Finally, what are the perceived damages to WC and FIFA? I cant think of ANY negative outcome... other than WC boredom brought about by too much exposure and information.... but that would be stupid for the violator, wouldnt it!

MEthinks things might be going too swimmingly in the FIFA organization and someone thought they had better justify their paychecks by making up some useless 'rules', just to show who's in charge!

Heh... shades of 'brave new world'.

Seems to me FIFA's asking for some 'in-depth, investigative reporting' into their organization and agendas.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

You have to wonder about how a decision like this comes about. Ludicrous, is the only word I can think of that accurately describes the decision to 'keep WC photos off the internet'.

So newspapers will have to keep them off but everyone/anyone who goes who has a blog can simply go nuts with it?! It hurts my head just thinking about the stupidity....

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am going to take a wild stab and say this new rule has something to do with Sepp Blatter. He is possibly the biggest idiot in the world of soccer. How he is still main man for FIFA is beyond me.