FFC v. ToonTown [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Nov 3, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

3 points. Outstanding result.

Hangman was a beast and Demps showed class, again (aside from a couple of giveaways, but the whole club was coughing it up in the 2nd half.)

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

That is quite a compilation of match reports Mike...

I was impressed with Fulham this past weekend. They defended well (Brede was a rock) and linked up well in attack. The key... Fulham finally got a break that went in their favor. Thank you much for the botched clearance and a cool finish from AJ as well.

10th in the table and it is feeling good to be a Fulham fan. Have to enjoy these highs, because there are bound to be a few lows on the horizon. Cheers

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Kinnear's comments regarding the officiating are laughable. Do you think he will come out and acknowledge that Ameobi was offside?

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I recorded the game to watch later and somebody at work had told me they won. Needless to say I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. They didn't just win, they looked like they belonged mid-table.

Hopefully we can keep this play up and maybe bring it on the road with us. Great win.

UP FULHAM!!!!!!!!!!

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So glad I was wrong in my prediction. I'm still not exactly thrilled about our midfield, we still need somebody to throw a bit of their weight around. Nothing nasty, we just need some muscle in the middle.

Fulham may be in 10th place right now, but it's still pretty tight in standings. So please don't get cocky, Fulham.

7. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Great result!
    It was nice to see Dempsey coming on closer to the 60th minute then the 90th. He really added some spark in the midfield and played a few really nice passes into attacking positions, including the pass to AJ that resulted in the penalty.

I think that Pantsil offers a lot to the team due to how well he joins the attack and how well he participates/passes when in the middle and attacking thirds.

Hangeland was great and Hughes did pretty well too.

8. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

No class on those comments. What about why they didn't play better? What about why they didn't hit the back of the net from their multiple chances? His whole "we were the better side" BS was just terrible.

Even the commentator's said it had to be a pk against AJ.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Some belated thoughts on yesterdays win. For Fulham's MOTM, it's tempting to say Cacapa, but all kidding aside, it has to be the Hangman. He absolutely owned the air.

Nice to see subbing earlier this go round. Dempsey provided a nice spark setting up both the AJ goal and our next best chance, the Davies shot that just missed. Nevland looked a gear slow though, but Zamora looked to be laboring and in need of a spell. I believe that's why you see so many clammoring for subs. It's not that they'll win the game, but fresh legs often do make a difference, even if all they do is disturb the other team's attack or chase down that 50/50 ball.

The Newcastle goal was definitely offside, so good to see us come back and take the 3 points in spite of it. I only wish Roy wouldn't play quite so situational. 1 goal is fickle, so playing to defend the 3 pts when up 1-0 or the 1 point when tied on the road, is tenuous at best and it showed in how we ended the first 1/2 and came out for the 2nd.

This team is weird this year. We're 7th in goal differential, yet prior to yesterday, were in 18th. Watching us play though, we often look like an 18th place side. So which one are we? As of today, we're 10th (more indicative of our GD) so hopefully we see more play like the first half and less like the second. If so, we won't be biting our nails next Spring.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm not poor-mouthing The Hangman, but what I saw from him was exactly what I expected. My MOM was Danny Murphy -- a captain's innings if there ever was one.

Somebody should show a little love for Hughes also. He was brilliant yesterday. His back-headed clearance to A3O3 was a thing of beauty, and he busted up attacks all over the park. He has a flawless partnership with Brede. Did anyone else notice how Everton struggled against us for the entire match last weekend, and got the Freedom of East London this weekend? Our back four is fantastic, and I don't think there's any GK playing better than A3O3.

Our defense is gelling just as AJ has the sniff of it in his nostrils. Over our last 5 matches, we've won 2, drawn 2, and lost only once ... on the road ... to a quality side. 8 points in 5 matches will do me very nicely, thank you. I know this run of form won't last forever, but we should celebrate it while it's here.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Incidentally: How the heck did Owen not score that goal? We had a little good fortune on our side, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I agree Don. But the problem is, as I wrote on the offside, is that everyone else is in the same position as us. So unless we rattle off another 2 straight wins, we're still in the throngs of this parity. And its not going to happen, not because we're not good enough but because of the atmosphere of the league.

Which is why I'm seriously wondering when the league became the NFL.

13. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Without a doubt - playing at home provided the advantage Fulham needed to get thru this match without giving up the late equalizer or winner like they seem to do so often.

The supports seemed to be well behind the squad and it made the difference.

I was angry with the selection of Gera AGAIN. I fast forwarded thru much of the match because I was so disgusted... But once Demps came in, I thought he showed that he deserves his spot.

14. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Weird that in the Sky Sports match review player ratings, Dempsey got the lowest mark (4) and was described as having no impact. Every other publication has lauded his performance and called him the difference maker in the second half. Why such a disparity from Sky? Anti-American bias? Writer not actually paying attention to the match? Doesn't make any sense.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

In a sense, I am glad Kinnear made the classless comments he did. That'll continue the fine tradition of gutter sniping, whining, and all around (I don't want to use that type of language on this site, go to the offal and you'll get the idea) that is the norm from the CarToon Army.

I really, REALLY, hope Newcastle goes doen. I guess it isn't as likely as it was a month ago, but they still are tore up from the floor up. Hey Newcastle, shut up and go away.

Also, this is my entry on ESPN's chat today with one of their Soccernet guys:

Steve -- Cleveland OH: What do you think the fantastic Fulham's chances are of staying up this year? I think the goals will be coming with more frequency and the backline is good enough to land them in midtable. Schwartzer has been great. Thoughts?

John Brewin: (10:44 AM ET ) Steve

I went Cottaging at the weekend and thought that they were much improved from last season.

Hangeland looked very good and Schwarzer made an excellent save. They were lucky with Johnson's winning of a penalty but I'd say they were good value for the win over Newcastle.

They perhaps need a bit more steel in midfield; all four are good ball-players but not the best at tackling.

Maybe that could hurt them. That and away form.

He isn't too off base about needing a terror in midfield, and away form, the less said the better...

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Glad I got to see this one!

motm; I mean gotta be AJ, he scored the goal and won the pen

You know after going so long without a competent defense its really nice to now have one. Now if we can just keep that up and start scoring two goals every game we'll be in great shape!

Onward Fulham

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Am I sensing a slight bit of optimism in young Spencer?

18. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Don't know if anyone saw it last night, but FFC did Fan Zone on our game. Great to hear the United fan admit it was a penalty.