FFC v Sunderland [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 1, 2008.

1. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I am in Kentucky right now for opening weekend at Keeneland with my buddy from Chicago...hopefully we don't have to leave before the match is over and I can sit in the chatroom so I am not opening up the internet to check the score...that is way to depressing...I like to know the result by following the match...that way I can prepare myself for the heartbreak...

All that being said, and completely unneccessary, I will attempt to be in the chatroom...

UP FULHAM!!!

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Forget my second wind, try my second cup of coffee. Will be in the chat for the opening kickoff only (have to try to get some mojo). My daughter has an appointment between the sticks at 8am. Hoping for a clean sheet for her and for Kasey.

3. psand22

psand22 Member

I expecting to see kamara and Booze playing last week. They had really slipped off of the radar, so who knows who will be out there this week...I read somewhere that Litmanen was available and would atleast get a spot on the bench. I don't care who's out there, as long as they play with heart and leave it all on the pitch. If we go down, let's die with our boots on. It'll be a (2-0) win at the Cottage.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Youse guys cross fingers and enjoy a {hunch} brilliant game. I'm gonna be on the road.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

disgusting.

with every other result going our way today...

disgusting.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Done In by Sunderland

In the famous words of Porky the Pig, ba-da-ba-da-ba-da, Dat's All Folks!!

:coffee:

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Son of a...

Murphy is not good enough -- he should have scored on that chance. We just are not good enough.

I wish I would have seen more heart fron the Ws-- Keane and co. definitely had us on that score, especially scoring so soon after we did. Woy needs to inprove on that front. I realize there are not as many leaders as inspirational as Keane, but Woy needs to do better. He deserves the opportunity of a transfer window to see how he can do next year in the CCC.

Damn. We are going down. It sunk in when I heard the Sunderland fans singing "We are staying up".

Damn.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For the last few months, I've been saying things like "look at Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Birmingham, Reading -- we're better than all those guys." Well, I was wrong. We are horrible. We're exactly where we should be in the table, and we can't blame bad fortune for it. If it weren't for Derby, we might be the worst team in the history of the Prem.

I am so sick for Terri, Nick, ClevelandMo and the others for sitting in the rain and watching all this unmitigated crap.

Que sera sera; whatever will be will be; we're going to Barns-a-lee; que sera sera.

9. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, being a 'newbie' to the sport. Are we the worst team in Prem history (I realize this is an exageration) because we lack quality players or has this team been so poorly managed that the players have given up? Is the stink is so thick at Craven Cottage that not even Roy, with some of his guys coming in the transfer window, could not change the morale of this group off players? I didn't get to see them last year so I can't compare year to year. I just watched the 2nd half and we were not inspired and not everyone was working hard. I have observed we seem to play unspired football most games, Villa, Blackburn, Everton being the only exceptions I can remember since late November.

I read a lot of knocking the players for our woes and Roy's choices as well. For those of you who have earned your football chops, what is it?

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sanchez was a significant reason for the demise of the Club. He brought in what I consider one of the worst crops of players, considering who left the Club.

However, the rot started much earlier then that, when Mohammed Al Fayed refused to splash the cash early enough last season. Our place in the Premiership would most likely be secure if Cookie had been given money winter of 2006-2007, hell maybe even as early as the summer of 2006.

Of course, it is not as if it was not fixable, but the gamble by MAF to not make a significant investment (until too late) was Fulham's version of The Butterfly Effect. And it has been as disasterous now as a Cat 5 Hurricane wiping out the collective dreams of all FFC Supporters.

Nothing left to do now, but rebuild.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Thanks. Very interesting.

Was it widely known that the players that Sanchez brought in from Northern Ireland and other places were not Prem level?

Or did it just become obvious after they stated playing games?

Is MAF a second rate owner? and we should never expect him to create a consistent top half of the table team?

Is the club just not big enough in terms of potential draw of fans to ever aspire for that level?

God, I hope we can get back up after next year. Not being able to see them on TV will be difficult.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good questions. Here's some opinions:

1. MAF is the best we've ever had. Without him, were struggling in League 1 instead of the Prem.
    2. Steve Davis and Hughes had some Prem cred. Healy not so much, and Baird was promising, but not at right back.
    3. The big disappointments have been Kamara and Bouazza. Both were expected to do better than they have. Sanchez's philosophy was fairly sound, actually. He believed that the pace of the Prem was such that getting players from outside the English game would result in a long adjustment period [can you say Eddie Johnson?]. He figured that tough English-based players who had plenty of international experience would be ready sooner and, over the course of a season, would achieve as much as more talented foreigners who have to take time to adapt. I'm afraid that I'm one of those who bought into his thinking.
    4. PCB is right. Had Coleman been given the money that first Sanchez and then Roy had been given, we'd be hovering around 10th.
    5. The club started having trouble when we sold off Van de Sar and Saha and got nothing for them. We then got rid of Malbranque and Boa Morte. In those four transfers we lost almost all of our speed and creativity, and -- to some people -- the most consistent keeper in the prem. Had we invested all the money we got for those guys in the transfer market, we might have done better, but we bought cheap, and we bought way too late. That's the board's fault.
    6. The other fault of the board was to react to their cutting the squad of speed, creativity, and diversity of attack by blaming it on the manager. Coleman should never have been fired. Nothing that he did caused this team to self-destruct -- although he could have handled Steed better. Not only did he never get the money that his successors did, he never got the money his predecessors did.
    7. If you'll check the archives for an article I wrote called "Reality May Not Bite, But it Sure Does Suck," you'll see that I thought that, with solid management and creative signings, we could slot into the middle tier of EPL land -- along with Pompey, Blackburn, Villa. Teams that don't really have a shot at the top 4, but can cause trouble and have a nice cup run. You can't do that by gutting your core and playing on the cheap.
    8. Teams that bounce back up do so because they keep a top-level squad. You can keep top level players in the CCC for one year IF you pay them good wages. We don't pay Prem-level wages IN THE PREM!! I don't think we're bouncing back up. I just hope we don't continue dropping.

Don't quit though, RR; I'm wrong about so many things on so many topics [although I'm never wrong when I argue with Pettyfog], I could be as full of crap on our chances to bounce back up as I was about where we'd finish this year [I think I said 12th].

14. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

OK. It all is starting to get a little clearer. Thanks for the great background. I am going to search for that article.

So when do we start our collective letter campaign to Rupert Murdoch to televise Fulham CCC matches next year? :)

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm gonna go along with the rest of you lot and say that if Cookie had been given 20-30 in 2006, we'd be in the top half this season and last season. The one thing Cookie did right was spot talent. Remember he bought Diop at 2m and brought in Dempsey for the same price. This guy can obviously spot a player. Had he been given actual funds, we'd be challenging for the UEFA cup. I remember one season where he was talking about how we couldn't afford Darren Bent at 3M. 3M! The board set Cookie up to fail. And Cookie did just that. I was a tough critic on Cookie, but looking back, it wasn't his fault it was the boards fault.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

17. krhimself

krhimself New Member

What he said...

Aside from that, I honestly have nothing else to say that hasn't already been said. Just waiting for the Grim Reaper to arrive, really.

It's truly messed up how this season has transpired.

18. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

...shit.

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well the fat lady is warming up and to be honest, after watching that performance, I'm not surprised. We don't look like a team in a relegation battle. We look like a team about 5 points above relegation and breezing through the end of the season. I'm livid with all of our boys, even Hodgson for not mentally preparing them. For fucks sake, giving up a goal just before half time?! Is this a school boy league or something?!

I have to say that I was more gutted against Derby but it was the 2nd lowest I've been since I became a fan. The inevitable awaits.

I had only a few bright spots from Saturday:

1) Meeting Nick and Mike from NY, Mo and family and the Hotlanta crew. Albeit brief, I really enjoyed talking to each of them and I still feel horrible that Fulham didn't justify their long flights. Hope you all get home safe.

2) David Healy's goal, wow! But it was cruel since I did get my hopes up.

3) The Fulham fans in the pubs were singing like we won, all night. Most likely out of defiance but its great to see us all coming together.