FFC v Sunderland [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let's get three points for our FulhAmerican travelers.

Here's my preferred lineup

-------------------- Keller -------------------

Staltieri -- Hangeland -- Hughes -- Bocanegra (a)

-----------------Andreassen ----------------

----- Davies ----- Bullard ---- Bouazza (b) -----

--------- Johnson (c) ------ Kamara (d) ------

Why?
    (a) PK is looking a bit less than lethal lately. Boca can handle the right wingers and is our most dangerous player on set pieces.
    (b) we can't keep playing Davies out of position. Bouazza is a pacy left-footed player -- THE ONLY ONE on our books. He must play.
    (c) McBride's strength and height with Boazza's pace. We have to run over Sunderland's defense.
    (d) Joe is our most confident player. As long as he doesn't try to beat everyone on the dribble.

Macca, Dempsey, Volzy, Smertin, Batista on the bench.

Prediction: 3-1 Fulham [Kamara 2, Johnson]. They tease us a little before breaking our hearts later in the month.

COYW!

2. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I like it Don...makes sense to keep Bouazza and Kamara in, we did get two goals even if it was against Derby...McGod and Dempsey waiting on the bench is also a good idea just in-case as they are proven EPL goal scorers...

However, I would like to keep Johnson and or Kamara on the bench until later in the second half when Sunderland is tired...but if they can capitalize on their speed right from the whistle than I'm all for it...

Bocanegra is a sexy pick to have in there for set pieces but I don't think he is a better option than Konchesky, we need his overlapping runs to get our offense going sometimes...

With that said...here's my lineup, only marginally different from what I was saying...

----------------------Keller-----------------------------

Stalteri------------Hangeland-------------Konchesky

--------------------Andreasen---------------------------
    Davies----------------------------------------Bouazza
    -----------------BullardBullard--------------------------

-----Dempsey-------McGod------------Johnson-------

Bench: Who cares...No guts no glory.

This line-up is why I'm not an EPL manager...the only reason why I'm not an EPL manager.

Up Fulham!!!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wowe, Belle -- a 3-4-3. Howe Bolde

4. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

As I zoned out in a meeting this morning I was playing around with new line ups and formations, because, well why the hell not. Oddly, I ended up with the exact same 3-4-3 that BF4L put out there. However, Beauty & The Beast has not suddenly become my favorite movie.

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

...give it time boston.

give it time...

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:lol:

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Ok, here's my weird lineup:

----------------------Keller-----------------------
    ------Hughes--Hangeland--Bocanegra------
    Davies---------Andreasen----------Bouazza
    --------Bullard---------------Dempsey---------
    --------------McBride----Healy-----------------

We're already using our fullbacks heavily in attack. Why not just use our best crossers as attacking wingbacks? Throw in a 3rd CB for support in the back. If its Bocanegra, we get the added bonus of his aerial skills on corners.

Last time we played Sunderland, their main course of attack was lumping balls up to Kenwyne Jones. Their width doesn't worry me a whole lot, but Hughes and Bocanegra can push outside to support the wingbacks if needed.

...and this is why I'm not the manager.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well big games from here on out.

Every game, home and away, is either Sold Out, or close to for the rest of the season, which shows that the fans are well behind the team. I wish you all could've been there last weekend just to see what our fans can really do, when faced with adversity.

With regard to this match. Firstly, I'm looking forward to meeting Mo and fam, Nick (another NY boy), and the Atlanta army.

Second, I can only hope (and Pray) that the supporters are up for it yet again and we can spur them on to victory. We NEED these point and I do see that Sunderland may be on a high, Roys boys are showing togetherness and work ethic.

I don't like to give lineups but I have to say that Kamara showed she should be on the field and so should Bouazza.

Hope all the FulhAmericans are doing well and screaming at their TV's every Saturday in support of the Whites.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

As Don said this the latest podcast, this match is Dunkirk.

I don't care who plays -- just get us three points and make us proud boys!

See everyone in the chat zone.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Nice page timmyg. And as you said, I, too, don't care who is in the squad except for Keller. Also, I hope Woy remembers that he has other player options during a match prior to the 89:59 mark.

Another win, simply to tease us, the masochistic faithful, is the most Fulhamish thing I can envision...

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The one time in the entire spring season my daughter has a 8am game (way down in Yorba Linda no less which is a good 25 minute drive). So I'll be praying (perfect since this is my 667 post, thanks Don for making me aware) when I turn on the laptop to find out the result.

Brede on Jones should be quite a matchup. 3 points and survival will still be a longshot, but at least still in the realm of possiblity. COYW, give the FUSA contingent a day at the Cottage they won't soon forget.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

If you're going to play 3 in the back, this is the 3 you have to use. Stalteri-Hangeland-Konchesky would be guaranteed to give up a couple of goals.

What I'd like to see:

----------------------Keller-----------------------
    Stalteri - Hangeland - Bocanegra - Konchesky
    ------------------Andreasen----------------------
    Davies------------Bullard-------------Bouazza
    --------------McBride----Kamara-----------------

Niemi, Hughes, Smertin, Dempsey, Johnson

A) I feel bad not finding a spot in the starting lineup for Dempsey, but the issue I'm having is the same one that I think Roy is having, namely that the two best roles for him are occupied by the magic man (Bullard) and the captain (McHead). So unfortunately he has to come off the bench.

B) Kamara seems more settled than EJ at the moment so he gets the nod.

C) Hughes is not good enough in the air to be a starting center back in the Premier League. It's cost us goals more than once in the recent past. Bocanegra had a great match for the USMNT against Poland and even potted a goal. He starts.

D) I agree with Don about Bouazza. I think we're a better attacking team when he's on the field.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Almost no chance we go 3 in the back.

Looking forward to listening to timmyg's 2nd podcast, with special guest HatterDon. 1st one was good.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'll try a lineup this week, in the convuluted help that I will curse the no lineup curse, and Fulham will have 3 points when I have lunch on Saturday

--------------------------Keller

----Stalteri ---- Hangeland ------ Hughs -------Boca

----------Davies----------Andreasen------Bouazza

-------------------------Bully

-------------------Ironhead --------Kamara

Smertin, EJ, Deuce, PK, Niemi

I want offense, I don't fear Sunderland's offense too much on the road.

Please, no 4-5-1

15. BarryP

BarryP New Member

My sons U-13 team will be kicking off at the same time as Fulham so no chat room for me.

I really don't expect to see many changes from last weeks line-up which is to bad in my opinion. I really hope Dempsey sees significant pitch time because he has been one of our better players this season.

So for this coming Saturday COYW's!

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re Deuce's absence from matches: I don't see how Woy can justify keeping him off the pitch any longer - 7 goals in 12 matches under Woy, while the top scorer rots on the bench, isn't a sign of strong tactics or strategery. He probably shouldn't start, but he should at least play 1/2 the match and let's see if he's recharged his batteries...a rejuvenated Deuce could be the "defining moment" in this relegation scrap.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ROBOT ROLL CALL! Who'll be in the chatroom for some mayhem in the A.M.?

Now that we're back in sync with Old Blighty, kickoff will be at 0900 central [or just about the time SCJ gets his second wind. Let's support the Lads and our traveling FulhamUSA.com contingent!

COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Kathy

Kathy New Member

When I saw that they had Murphy coming on to sub instead of Dempsey last wkend, I almost choked. Will be away at tournament so probably can't be in chat, but will try with laptop. C'mon FULHAM! Have fun those of you in UK!

19. RDG

RDG Member

Too funny!

MST3K lives!!!

I don't want to speculate on this one. Their Roy inspires them. Our Roy, well, um, doesn't "inspire", I guess, um, at least he has them passing competently, um, er, uh, though I do have some questions about his selections and his substitutions. . . .

20. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Oh good. a 10am EST kick off gives me enough time to listen to it and make it to my girls team's first game at 12:45.