FFC to be sold?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ob, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My thoughts as to why Mo might be selling is that he now knows that he can never make Fulham into a huge club that he maybe once envisioned...couldn't make a bigger stadium and a new and richer owner moves into town. He will never be able to compete against Abramovich, it's that simple. I'm with some of the others, I don't think Mo is in it for the money, but to make a bigger name for himself and for his ego. He knows he can't beat Chelsea as the big club in town, so now he's off-loading some of the debts to make Fulham a more attractive buy.

2. McBride'sHeader

McBride'sHeader New Member

It's not as black and white as businesses have to make money or you tighten the purse strings (no Fulham pun intended). I think Al Fayed is in this for a variety or reasons, most of which I am not privy to...and I am certainly one of the least knowledgeable fans on this site to be sure...
    Martin, I understand your point...but it's not always about the money. As I said before, some owners just want to have their ego massaged by different crowds - in Mo's case, the world of sport. I assume Al Fayed had enough of a clue to realize that Fulham wasn't going to knock Chelsea off the map by simply writing checks (that haven't even left a small dent in his wallet). I just think that Al Fayed likes to have his mug plastered all over the world of football in addition to the plethora of other avenues he has become famous. You can quote me on this...FUlham will not be the last "new" thing Mo does with his stash to continue to make his family's name bigger...

3. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I agree with you both . but What has not been mentioned and maybe you are not aware. but Al Fayed has for years been trying to get a British passport and has been denied for what ever reason by everyone in Government. perhaps buying Fulham and owning the biggest grocery shop in London(Harrods) he may have thought this would have given him that passport..I don't know if thats right or not?...

4. Martin-in-Nashville

I totally agree with this statement DCHeather. If you remember when Mo took over at craven Cottage He spoke about making Fulham a GREAT Club like Manchester Utd. He ploughed Millions in transfers and took us into the Premiership.having been in the Premiership for the past 4 seasons we have won nothing and have just been a "also run" Mo may now be thinking like you say we aint going to be a Chelsea or Manchester Utd, lets sell up and let someone else give it a try. Fulham could be sold quite nicely to someone who wanted it, going down will lower the price and Mo's thinking might just be lets get out before it's too late.

5. McBride'sHeader

McBride'sHeader New Member

I wasn't aware of his passport status... this could be one of those many odd reasons why a billionare would buy a team.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As I have said and will say til I die, I am greatful to Al Fayed for taking the club and raising them to the level that he has. It was unbelievable what he has done for Fulham. However, why is it that because we support Fulham we should just accept mediocrity? The club was mediocre last season and from we all saw in Columbus, the club will be mediocre once again this season.

Owning a club as Mike and Heather touched on is a business, but as we all know, a business that hardly nets you the profits you can gain in other ventures. My point is this, if Al Fayed does not like the return he is getting, sell the damn club. We, the supporters of the club who will be with the team through thick and thin, should not have to go through this period because Al Fayed wants to pull the plug on the operation.

It is as simple as that. If you are done spending, get out of of dodge. I do not give a rats ass if he does not have a visa or anything like that. If he is not happy with the way things are going leave.

Look at the players we bought this summer.....Ahmad Elrich, Heidar Helguson, Jaroslav Drobny and Niclas Jensen. While they are not bad, that is not the kind of summer you saw at Charlton, West Ham or even Portsmouth for that matter. With the limited funds we have, Cookie has to shrewd and quite frankly, I think one of his weaknesses as a manager is his ablitlies in the transfer market. Whether it be a lack of scouting, a lack of trust or something else, Cookie does not seem to have that magic touch when it comes to bringing players in.

My fingers are crossed that Elrich, Helguson and Drobny make names for themselves this season, but I am not holding my breath. As I have said, it just bothers me that the teams that we will be directly competing with are able to outbid us, a team of 4 years in the Prem, for any player.

Big Mo is watering the talent pool at Fulham. He is selling off the best and bringing in players at 1/2 or 1/3 the value of that player. When you do this, eventually it will bite you in the ass and you will get relegated. I want this club to succeed and the way things are going it is gonna be a rough season on the Thames in SW6. The last thing I want happening to Craven Cottage is one year from now have the stadium pasted in Coca0-Cola signage and be in the Championship! We are better than that and our owner should take note of that and not let us go down.

And one last thing, as an owner and a businessman, wouldn't a club be more attractive to buy if it were in the Premiership?

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I agree he should sell the club if his heart is not in it. And I think that is what he might be doing. It's better for all parties involved. But I will say my biggest fear in ownership turnover is team relocation--that's scary. But I'm not going to worrying about that now, especially when the first game hasn't even started...I'll be worrying when Mo announces the sale, if he does so. Also, I think you misunderstood what I was saying...I don't think Mo was ever looking to make a huge profit. If he did the only scenario I can see this happening is if he did make Fulham into a Manchester United and then selling it for a profit. But he couldn't get a stadium to do this, plus Abramovich enters the scene, who is only a few blocks away and spends 20 million pounds on a bench warmer...Mo can't compete with that, so he's cutting his losses. Getting rid of some salaries and not spending a whole lot of money.

This is very true, Fulham would be more valuable to the new owners if the team was still in the Premiership. And I think that's what Mo is looking to do...just survive. And I think they will accomplish that mission. If not, then Fulham will still be an attractive buy.

On another note, IF Mo is selling, perhaps Bob Kraft (Pats and Revs owner) might be a good candidate. Didn't he try to buy Liverpool, but pulled out because he didn't want to go too far into debt paying for the club? I imagine buying Fulham from an owner that wants out wouldn't be too expensive. Plus, I think he might be attracted to a London location. And that would ease my fears about the team being bought and moved...Kraft is famous for buying a crap team (and I'm a Pats fan, and I'm not saying Fulham are crap), that was on the verge of being moved, and managed to keep them in Foxboro, get them a new stadium, and turn them into a winning franchise--NO SMALL FEAT (This was a team that was 1-15 a few years before Kraft took over.)

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Heather!

Kraft buying the team has two good points:

1. He knows what it takes to put together a good management, which will then look to building a solid team.

2. It would drive the Offal boarders NUTS! Then they will further display their ignorance of the sports biz and I can be self-assuredly smug at the results!
    ;)

Seriously he would be a great counterpoint to the Glazier bunch!

9. Martin-in-Nashville

I'm not sure who should buy the Club SHOULD it become available who know whats Mo's thoughts are, none of us know him personally do we?...

I can remember when previous owners like Tommy Trinder,Ernie Clay and Jimmy Hill were running the club all every supporter wanted was to buy the best players, it doesn't guarentee anything, Fulham brought players a few years ago that got them into the premiership granted. and Chelsea have done excatly the same thing Fulham did and Brought the Premiership. I guess if you need to blame someone then it's the Managers that have wasted Mo's money with the likes of Marlet and I totally have to say he was a waste of all of Mo's money.

If Fulham is to be sold then we need to say a BIG Thank you to Mo and wish him well. I will always support Fulham come rain or shine..I was born in Fulham, My life is FULHAM

COYW's

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Finding a new owner that is willing to help the club is a huge issue. I do not have any candidates as I am not really up on the rich tycoons of the world, but it would be nice to get someone in here willing to spend a little cash and as Martin said, get someone in here who can find talent and use the money we get wisely.

As for the relocation fears, I do not see that happening one bit. Fulham has been a part of SW6 for the last 125 going on 126 years. Relocation in my opinion would never happen. Perhaps a new stadium would be built in the area which would be a very, very controversial thing, but I just do not see Fulham moving. At least I hope not.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Wimbledon was the only club I could think that went through something like this. I hope this obviously does not happen to our beloved Cottagers!

13. Martin-in-Nashville

You know the sad part for Wimbledon is they rose from Non-League statis in the Southern league upto the Premiership Won the FA cup and Beating a very good Liverpool side and look at them now, stuck in Milton Keynes a town that probable doesn't want them and old Plough Lane supporters having to travel I would guess 70 to 80 miles to watch a home game. I would hope Fulham will always play at Craven Cottage becuase that is thier home. the people who buy houses around the ground can whine and moan as much as they like, the club has been there for 125 years and they knew the club was there before thay brought those homes. Building and relocating for me will be like Wimbledon take away supporters not gain any.There is nowhere to build such a staduim in London let alone Fulham so that option would mean outside London, that for me would be a Killer losing Craven cottage. and would be like losing an arm and a leg for me. lets hope it never comes to that.
    As far as I know nothing has ever happened to Wimbledons old ground at plough lane but that was a few years ago perhaps someone knows what ever happend to that Land.
    Chalton left the valley and returned a few years later perhaps Wimbledon will come home I truly hope so.
    Wimbledon is Fulhams Neighbour of about 8 miles. so it would be another great derby match if it ever happens.