FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Mo, I don't know defense better than you.

I know kicking people and getting nutmegged better than you, but not defense.

Don is right -- only a rare specimen indeed at CB can carry the day all by himself, and at Arsenal, I don't see it with what they have. Chichy? Very good but a wide back and injured a lot. Gallas? He was overrated, now no one rates him. Toure? Best of the lot, but I still say no. Sagna? Also very good but also a wide back. Silvestre, decent, but if he was at that high a level would Man U have let him go? All their other fullbacks ar members of Wenger's kiddie corps and Hangeland would have to carry them more than he had to with Hughes this year. Assuming Wenger doesn't sign a secod top name CB, is Arsenal's situation that much better than ours right now? I say not really.

Please get Brede signed!

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Marc-Antoine Fortune’s agent has revealed to setanta.com that the striker will sign with either Fulham or Wolves this summer.

4. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

don't know much about him, Wiki says 6ft striker that was on loan from Nancy. I'm sure he would be cheap, any value here?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He's one of the few WBA players who didn't impress me this season. I'd pass, but I believe in Roy's judgment 100%

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Sounds like a hot and cold player, but he did alright in only a few games. 5 goals since January is a nice total, though I believe I said the same thing about Jon Stead once...

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Fulham want to take Kaka's brother Digao on loan from AC Milan next season. Would Digao be a good signing?

Pronounced Gee Gow by the way. ;-)

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Kaka's brother? Is he the "Dom" to Kaka's "Joe"? If so, sign him up.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Matthew Bates from Boro:

"The Stockton-born player admits he faces a huge decision after coming through the ranks at the Riverside Stadium, and with Wigan understood to be leading the race which also includes West Ham and Fulham for his signature, he could be one of those who goes as Southgate re-shapes his squad in the wake of relegation to the Championship."

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Rich at Craven Cottage Newsround reports from an "impeccable source" that Fulham are on the verge of signing Gary O'Neil from Middlesbrough. O'Neil is a London native and reportedly (but unsourced on Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth) had trouble settling up north. He's been a regular for Boro the past two years, and for Portsmouth the two before that. Seems like a pretty good pickup.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Reading his wiki, he seems a pretty good pickup.

Fairly consistent though unsettled as to his place on his teams. The kind of guy given a chance in a settled role causes fans to say "Well, Where's HE been all this time!"

15. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

Just turned 26, seems like the perfect kind of addition needed for the extra amount of games next season, can get Dempsey a rest on the right side, or when he's away on intl duty. Maybe even lets us play Dempsey on the left and not have to play Zoltan (please!).

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Hangeland on transfer rumors (in the context of an article about the prospects for the future in general):
    Sounds like he's tired of being asked the same question over and over again, if you ask me.

Also, Hodgson on summer transfers:
    Roy clearly sees a need to strengthen the squad. Given that he expects the summer transfer market to be a difficult one (Chairman Mo's income has to be down like everyone else's), I think his inclination will be to try to find bargains as clubs that either have more players on the books than they really need (Spurs, say) or need to cut costs due to relegation (the O'Neil rumor I linked to earlier in the day, or certainly I could see Newcastle selling some of their older players) rather than making any big splashes like he did with the F5 signing last summer.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If money IS really tight all over, then having a guy with Roy's ability to assess talent, his nose for finding the committed player, and his huge network is going to work even more for us than it did last summer.

The thing is, logically we're in the 5th through 9th group [and isn't THAT great] that includes Everton, Villa, FFC, Tottenham, and Man City. If we're going to finish 7th again [and remember that meant nothing in terms of European qualification in 2008], two of those other four sides have to finish below us. It's going to be a struggle. With all of their attention based in England, you'd expect Man City to mount a firm struggle, and, Harry should have one good complete season with Tottenham before he fouls the nest there [as he has done with every club he's coached]. If we play as well next season as we did last season, and have a season just as free of injuries as we did, we'll probably finish 9th.

For this reason, Roy has to have a brilliant summer to keep us fighting for European qualification -- a new goalscoring striker, more midfield cover, SOMEBODY WITH A LEFT FOOT, and no injury or mental problems is a must. In a constricted market, I like our chances with Roy at the helm. Let the silly season begin!

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Spurs released Ricardo Rocha.

Dont know about you, but 18 appearances in 3 seasons sounds good to me!

19. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

All that being said, you could swing that around and say that the lack of buying power for most teams means it's a buyers' market. Maybe now would be a good time to splash a little money, since they've qualified for Europe...

Just a thought.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

of note is that Gareth Barry went to Man City today for 12mil. This is a lot of dosh, but it's 5m LESS than Liverpool offered for him last transfer period. quids is getting tighter.