FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmh

jmh New Member

Speaking of Gooch and Standard, something I just learned: Because Standard and Anderlecht finished the season tied on both points and wins (the only tiebreaker used by the Belgian league), they will play a home-and-home playoff tomorrow and Sunday to decide the league championship. The two split their season series, with Anderlecht winning 4-2 in Brussels and Standard winning 2-1 in Liege. Exciting stuff. Good luck to Gooch and company!

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Thursday's game ended 1-1. It just got even more exciting.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I heard good things about G. Barnes and he was a left footed winger.

I heard good things about L. Cook and he was a left footed winger.

Hmmm, these fellas have something in common but I can't put my finger on it...

I trust Roy's judgment in that Barnes is surplus to Fulham because there's a bigger plan (insert hallelujah chorus).

Europe, baby. Europe.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Both matches wound up 1-0 Standard. Gooch's last two seasons there were Standard's first league championships in a generation. He may be a legend there already.

I'd love him at the Cottage, but I'm betting that O'Neill gets him at Villa Park.

7. heestj10

heestj10 New Member

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

great player; huge upside. Let's get him.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

also word that we might be tracking Nigel Reo-Coker who is not happy with his playing time at Villa.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Cameroon midfielder Modeste M'bami who plays for Marseille mentioned as well. Sweet name, Modeste.

11. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Fulham set to make £4.5m move for Baggies defender Brunt
    By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 12:10 AM on 25th May 2009
    Comments (0) Add to My Stories Fulham are poised to move to sign the £4.5m-rated winger Chris Brunt from relegated West Bromwich Albion.

OK I'm confused what is he a Defender Midfielder or Winger?????

Not to worry I went to WBA website they say he's a Midfielder...BUT I'm guessing likes to defend out wide!

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

didnt LS try and go after Brunt two years ago when he was at Wednesday?

And if we're after a winger, lets recruit Bastos from Lille.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Brunt is Northern Irish. So, yes.

I'm not sure why that one article labeled him as a defender, he's a left wing midfielder who has also played on the right a few times. He's not a defender though.

Don was a bit off about the Belgian championship playoffs. As RidgeRider mentioned, Standard and Anderlecht drew 1-1 at Anderlecht last Thursday; Standard won 1-0 in Liege on Sunday and retained their championship.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Must be left-footed.

16. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

Brunt really stood out to me when watching WBA play, he's not afraid to have a go from distance, and he has a rocket left foot, Arne-Risse / Konchesky style, i'd be happy to play him over the other former Baggie we have.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I really would hate to lose Hangeland, but I think that it would be a mistake for him if he left. If he goes to a team that isnt as well coached, isnt as disciplined in the back-line, he may not look as good. At a top club he could end up spending time on the bench 'cause of it. He looks very formidable as a part of our defense but a certain degree of that success is due to Woy. Hangeland can be beat. Consider Hughes, he looks much better now than he did under Sanchez.

But then Steve, you certainly know defense better than I do.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a lot to what you say, Mo. Any CB is really a half-player. If he's not got a good partner, he'll not do well. Rio Ferdinand with any other player is not nearly so dominating a player as Rio partnered with Vidic. It's a given that Hughes blossomed this season playing as Hangeland's partner, but it's also fair to say that Hangeland wouldn't have performed as well withouth Aron next to him.

You really don't want to mess with this situation. Hangeland appears comfortable with Roy and with Fulham. I'm hoping that we're all really tactically savvy when we say he won't want to leave -- as opposed to just whistling past the graveyard.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

The thought crosses my mind that he's signing a new deal a la EVDS and inflating the transfer fee for FFC's benefit. I hope not, but if that's the reason, it would be a classy, final move and best of luck to him.

20. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

For the most part, I think you're right about it not being in his best interest to leave. Unfortunately, there's one exception - Arsenal has two very clear weaknesses, and those are both CB positions. Hangeland (and possibly Hughes too) would be a significant upgrade for them.