FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I like this plan.

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Then, let's all go sit out in the back yard, drink a beer or 6, and ponder the wonderments of next season.[/quote]

This is the only bit that makes any sense HD

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, speaking from ignorance, I wonder sometimes if we are not too harsh on Paul Konchesky. It seems to me, his position on the field is a difficult one. He is expected to attack and overlap on offense, and then get back and cover a space that is larger and more open than what a center back has to cover. To me, that position, on defense, is akin to a cornerback in the NFL, not a perfect analogy, but similiar in a couple of ways. He has to be able to run and move quickly in all directions, defending while moving at high speed, cover a large space, and defend the oppositions best athletes. A guy that has to do all that, and play offense, is going to make a mistake or two and his mistakes become more glaring because they likely to lead to a goal.

He may not be the best LB in the league, but I think he does a commendable job all around and his breakdowns become more glaring, I suspect, due to the overall 'stinginess' of the defense in general.

Anyway, my two cents on PK.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

everybody's job on the pitch is a difficult one.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Konchesky is solid enough for me. He's not the best, but LB are hard to come by. At least he hasn't been injured much, which would have really caused problems.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love these rumors. The Saints are diving headlong into League 1 and Lallana can't get but 15 minutes on the pitch as a sub.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Further highlighting what a top-level scout I am, Bristol City lost against Nottingham Forest 3-2 today to give Froest a jump out of the relegation zone. Yep, top level defending by BC in that one, I am sure.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Fair points, all. However, he does well getting back when he overlaps in attack. His weakness seems to be when the back 4 are pinched in. He has a nasty habit of having a mental lapse and losing his man/leaving him unmarked. It's odd b/c that should be the easiest time to keep up with him. To use your corner analogy, when we're defending in the redzone, he struggles more than with a full field to defend.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bale as a LM. I think he's better suited for it and as mentioned, his defense can be shocking.

Wish Bolton were getting relegated. Kevin Davies seems to provide all the things that Bob does, but also the finishing and passing that he doesn't.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

11. jmh

jmh New Member

We weren't willing to meet Spurs' asking price for Huddlestone in January, back before we really had any idea whether Etuhu would be an effective player in central midfield; I'm not sure why that would change in the summer, unless Harry has his eye on another player who might make him more surplus than he already is.

Bale is an intriguing one; he's tremendously talented but hasn't yet lived up to his talent, and Roy could be the coach to get him to learn some defensive responsibility.

12. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

Another reason I could see Tottenham letting him go for less is if Redknapp realizes that he cannot give him a starting spot and understands his need as a player, as we did with letting Andreasen go in the january window (I think it was him... if not , i know it was someone who went for that reason). Either way, I would love to see Fulham have a couple of shining young stars.... maybe see Barnes come back and play some more.

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, I think Roy and Alistair Mackintosh will have more money to spend in the summer than in January, and Huddlestone may demand a transfer. Hodgson also has the positive reputation now (he always has) to attract higher profile players maybe.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And yet another reason Tottenham would be interested in making some room, rumours that Harry wants none other than Sir Becks on the squad.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ls&cc=5901

16. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't really think that's what Harry is saying:
    To me, this reads more like the interviewer asked him about Beckham and he said what was appropriate. (Though, on the other side of the coin, he can't say a whole lot more than this because of tampering issues.)

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

18. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I've not heard of Papa Diawara. This would definitely be the kind of signing Fulham and Hodgson need to make, i.e., the inexpensive, but quality unknown signing. Maritimo is a run of the mill club in Portugal I think. Beyond their big 3 of Benfica, Porto, and Sporting the quality goes down apparently.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Some very complimentary quotes about our youth setup in this article:
    It's great to read that our youth setup is making a good impression on young players. It's so important to be able to attract and retain quality youngsters if you want to be able to have success on a reasonable budget.