FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dead serious. The team is playing better football since Murphy has been free to express himself.

We really need to have this discussion over a pint or two in the garden of a nice Greene King house. I miss England in the springtime!

2. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I am on Don's side with this one, Bullard scored more than Etuhu, but how much did Murphy score when he was along side Bullard? Bullard made Murphy be the defensive midfielder. Etuhu is big strong and fast and pretty good at stopping the run down the middle allowing Murphy to be the aggressor. Etuhu-Murphy is a very strong defensive midfield pairing and Murphy has the ability to score just as much, if not more than Bullard, with more consistency and in more needed times, and he appears to be a better leader for the team. We are Fulham, we have never been a team that is out to outscore the opponent, just outplay the opponent.

3. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Etuhu over Bullard in a heartbeat. If you can't see that Etuhu has made Murphy better, then I don't know how I can help you out M-I-N. Bottom line is results. The team is playing much better now than when we had Bullard...period.

4. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

So, you'd rather see GOALS than RESULTS? Wow...ok...

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Etuhu may match up with Murphy better than Bullard did, but I'm not convinced the results have actually been better since Bullard was sold, at least not significantly so.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I think we have more glaring needs than the two CM spots. And since we're Fulham and limited in budget, I don't think upgrading CM is a luxury we'll be able to address this go round, unless we do so at the expense of another need.

Etuhu v Bullard as a partner for Murphy is an interesting discussion, however the results aspect is a little mis-stated. For this season: with Murphy/Bullard, 6W 5L 7D +3; with Murphy/Etuhu, 4W 5L 3D +2.

As for left-footed, doesn't Barnes meet that requirement? Assuming he's ready to go this fall?

7. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

So, you'd rather see GOALS than RESULTS? Wow...ok...[/quote]

You cant get Results without GOALS....DOH

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Sure that would be great Im going home May 2nd to May 9th tell me where and when and I'll see you there.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Etuhu's job isn't to be a game changer or goal scorer, he's supposed to collect the ball and distribute it. He does a decent job of it I think. If we could have Owen Hargreaves over Etuhu, I'd take Owen Hargreaves, but we probably won't be getting that quality of player in. Perhaps Hodgson can find someone though.

All-in-all I like how Etuhu has done. Seems a team player as well.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I think he's right-footed, but he might be able to use his left-foot as well.

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

where are all the naysayers? Did they all get tired and stop posting? Where are the:

1. He's a Championship player
    2. He'll never come to Fulham
    3. We can't afford him

Every post about a prospective player has either been met with silence or written nods.

This is scary! Mind you, I like Huddlestone, Bale, Priskin ... .

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Exploit! Exploit! Exploit! :)

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Yep.

Isn't Bale a true lefty? Seems like a hard working kid. I have caught him a few times watching Tottenham but didn't notice much beyond he works hard. Anyone else?

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He's a true lefty and very talented. His problem is he's overly attack minded, and runs himself out of position. His defense leaves something to be desired, but Hodgson can jedi train him into a LB, I think. Than again, he might should just be a LM.

Here's Huddlestone's passing vision (a pass to Bale no less).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Ezcr8ba74

Bradley Orr has spent some time in jail.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... e61862.ece

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wouldn't mind seeing Orr in a W jersey -- A pretty good RB. He plays for an overachieving manager for a smallish side. Hmmmmmm...

It's kind of funny that when you google his name the 3rd result you get is Bradley Orr prison. In his case, I think the statute of limitations for dumbassed drunkenness has expired.

Also, I would like to see Zamora back next year. I think he is one of those players you do not appreciate fully until they are gone, and I hope we don't make that mistake. Unless we get someone better, of course, but I view that path with trepidation.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bale had [and maybe still has -- Jensers, can you elucidate?] the strange record of having Spurs lose every one of his starts.

He does have a good left foot. He's an accomplished FK taker with a lot of curl and accuracy [U-21s used him this way]. Lyle is dead right about his over-committment to attack. Warts and all, I'd love to see him as a replacement for Konch, for whom I'm still waiting to fuck up this season the way he almost fucked up last season.

Huddlestone is a nice combination of (a) a large lad who's difficult to muscle off the ball, (b) a smooth passer, (c) the possessor of a thunderous shot, and (d) a hard worker. And he's young and English. Why in the world would Harry let him go? And can we afford the transfer fee and wages for an overpriced English youth player?

Priskin can score goals. Full stop. He gets garbage goals and he can take your breath away.

Let's get them all, bring Eddie back from Cardiff, make a run at Michael Bradley and find another solid CB to give us some depth. Then, let's all go sit out in the back yard, drink a beer or 6, and ponder the wonderments of next season.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

PK -- another reason I liked the Orr rumor. He has fucked up this year -- Hull away, and more recently with thee details escaping me right now.