FFC Summer 2009 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Edin Dzeko, we're apparently interested in Edin Dzeko. He's a tall, lanky Bosnian kid who is starring for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga this year.

We are staying up, we are staying up! We are staying up, we are staying up!

http://www.imscouting.com/global_news_item.aspx?id=1661

Roy Hodgson was in Genk to watch the game between Belgium and Bosnia.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog; could you merge this thread with the other summer '09 transfer thread? I think MLSHateBhoy started it.

Thanks, pard.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Always was in "Other Clubs" forum. At least that is where I started it.

Pay attention Don. Don't hate, participate.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, 'fog.

What's that irritating buzzing just above?

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Probably just your alzheimer meds kicking in.

8. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

Well, Looks like Roy is doing well already. I would love to see him go after someone expensive, but that is why he is the manager not me (well... thats probably not the only reason). These guys are quality at a good price. We picked up a couple of midfielders in the January window but we are definitely stretched across the top and I would love to see atleast one top not striker get added... although Dempsey probably wouldn't get as many chances to start up top which I have thoroughly enjoyed this season. Not to kick Zamora when he is down, but we could use a quality youth who isn't going to get frustrated and slump as Bobby Z has done from time to time.

Now we need to do that within our budget.....

Good luck Roy

9. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Just for fun - since it'll never happen and because the transfer window is still months away - if Fulham was going to splurge on an expensive player (over $20m) who would actually be the best fit for the Whites based on who they already have? Villa? Drogba? Fabregas?
    Your thoughts?.....

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Out of Villa, Drogba, or Fabregas... probably a healthy, in form Drogba. Villa would be the best bang for our buck though, I'd guess.

Dzeko would be a great pick up, but he might opt to stay at Wolfsburg since it looks like they may actually win the Bundesliga and would have Champions League football next season. He is apparently in talks to extend his contract at Wolfsburg. Other, bigger clubs are interested in him as well.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just for fun?

Michael Essien. I'd take him for Fulham over any player in the world, including Kaka, Messi, Ronaldihno, or Ronaldo. No contest.

And he probably wouldn't even have to move out of his neighborhood.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Linked from that article, and from the "disappointing but probably inevitable" department:

Hangeland could be tempted away
    And:
    It's a bit of a backtrack from his previous stance, which seems to have been "I'm happy here, please stop asking me the same question over and over."

The linked article was light on information on Zlatko Dedic (didn't even say what position he plays), so from Wikipedia, he's a 24 year old striker, 6'0", 14 caps and one goal for Slovenia. Spent a bunch of time at Parma and made a few senior appearances but never scored for them. Good strike rate in Serie B, including 10 goals in 22 appearances on loan at Piacenza last spring. 6 goals for Frosinone this season.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, I'm not sure Hangeland backtracked, more than he just said more about his situation to a Norwegian journalist. It's more or less the same line he gave before, just more fully explained.

I think he might stay still. However, he is 27 and if he wants to play for a Champions League caliber club he'll need to give it go now, while he's at his peak.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The only way Hangeland will start for a Champions League side would be for him to to back to the continent to one of the smaller leagues. He's a brilliant player, but he's not going to be first choice for United, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea.

I think he'll stay. He's just being smart. Never say never.

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I don't know... there aren't a lot of top tier centre backs around. There's been mention of this on some of the podcasts out there and in some of the more high brow football commentary. I think he could play for Arsenal for example, the problem is he's not young and Wenger normally doesn't buy guys at their peaks, but brings them up in their system. I team like Arsenal could use him though because he's skillful on the ball and he's tall. They don't have any height whatsoever on their backline.

Aston Villa would also take him I bet. Everton too. Definitely all the German clubs in the CL would have him, even Bayern probably.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Exactly my point, Lyle. Everton and Villa could use him, but they'll not be playing CL football next season. It would have to be on the continent and a step down from the Prem [i.e. not Italy or Spain either].

19. Bradical

Bradical Member

Wrong thread, but Leon Andreasson scored for Denmark today.

Edit: Let me beat the first jokester to the punch - somewhere Danny Healy is probably on a hat-trick for N. Ireland...

Also, Gera scored for Hungary today..

20. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't know if he's taking a lot of PKs or what, but Di Vaio is scoring a ton of goals this season; he's the co-leader (with Zlatan Ibrahimovic) of Serie A with 19 league goals.