Fed Up.......

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Mar 13, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Garber: '20 by 2012'.. skidoo!

Undaunted by the results of overexpansion by NHL...

Sadly, I have to link Ives the Terrible, again. He seems to be the only one who caught it.

- - - - --
    .. hilarity ensues:
    In news related to Drew Carey's fan 'Alliance' scheme. TFC bosses think it's a terrible idea!

Hmmm.. preseason predictions by yahoo on Yahoo!
    Boy, if we could get a few major wonks to go along with that, the effect at EOY might cause Toronto to change their tune.

2. pettyfog

Fed Up? - MLS health

Here's something you might want to consider as a sign of impending wellness.

When a team's season opening AWAY game can draw about 400 purpose driven fans to local bars to watch the games together, that's pretty good. Damn sight better than it was 5 years ago.

My compiled estimates for Crew @ Houston:
    Claddagh (Crew sanctioned 'Official HQ') > 200
    Studio 35 (food&drink theatre) - 75 counted
    Ruby's (campus) > 75
    Chatham (Indpls; a 3 hour drive from Clb!) - 17 counted
    Fado's Easton > 20

That's people who said they went there to watch the game, not just watched because they were there.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: Fed Up? - MLS health

The first professional soccer match I ever attended and last was the Portland Timbers in high school. Remember watching Clyde Best play. I didn't know much about him other than he was from England. I am very excited to here the Portland Timbers will be back in the top league of the US.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Pettyfog Justifies The League & Mentions Crew in Every P

Just want to make sure no one is misled.

5. pettyfog

So what!

You made that clear. Here's the difference, you keep complaining how the MLS glass is half empty, I like to point out areas where it's filling... and how it could get better.

I was 'wowed' by Toronto's fan success. Even more so by Seattle. How could I not reference the huge improvement by my own team in just a period of 2 years. All the general seat and club seat fans of 5 years ago havent come back yet, but the kind of fans that will gather in pubs instead of staying home to watch the game are something we didnt have 5 years ago. We didnt have ANYTHING LIKE Nordecke before. That's a sign to me it's gonna be better than before.
    The league cant improve without fans.. they are the lifeblood of success.
    What's wrong with pointing that out... you who SAY you want the local league to be more like Europe's?

If you think I'm just being rah-rah, look at this thread by a young turk wanting a 'write - in' to local media complaining they dont cover Crew enough. Point being, we have more and better local coverage than ever before, starting last season before we won the league.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: So what!

Fog, WB is a known Euro elitist and will slag the MLS every chance he gets so consider the source.

I like the fact you are excited about the Crew and the MLS as it gets you posting about soccer. For the longest time I didn't even know if you followed the game. ;-)

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Re: So what!

Correction, "The League". If we are going to start a groundswell of support, I am convinced it must be CAPITALIZED.

Your Welcome.

Cheers!

8. pettyfog

Re: RE: So what!

We all know that.. the choice is whether to ignore him or not. Dont think either works so I just put in my boilerplate to match his meme. Sooner or later he'll have to point out EXACTLY how Bush destroyed the Constitution.
    Oh... wait... never mind!
    Here's the thing: there's plenty of guys on here know the game far better than I do. And have the tools to analyse it better than I do. I enjoy watching and can tell when they are playing well but it's just like music.. I can pick one sour note out of a concert but couldnt tell you who did it... or what note it was.

What I can do is comment on the ancillary stuff. Everything that surrounds the game. If you look at my stuff on the main page, I used to do a lot on acquisitions, sponsorship and that sort of thing.
    The stuff that excites me about the Crew, other than their play, is the results on the fans and the city and how they regard the club.

Like I said... what other soccer club fan tag line {'MASSIVE'} in any city has had a print reporter apply it to the more established pro sport {NHL}?

And how good is it, while general ticket sales and attendance is still to recover, that fans who gather at pubs to watch an away game, available on cable, go from about 40 count, five years ago, to over 400 count!