Favorite Sports & Teams

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Favourite Sport?

1. Fitba/football/soccer/footie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. College American Football

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pro American Football/NFL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. College Basketball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pro Basketball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Baseball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hockey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Rugby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lacrosse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Since we are on the precipice of a mountain of sports activity that is starting this week (thank you!), and in the name of getting to know our fellow Whites, let's find out who considers what sports their favourites and then the teams they support in that sport. Me first:

1. College American Football / UGA - Oh, I can hear the groans already. Yep, sorry but college football is my first love. Nothing beats watching these young guys sell out on every play, and in the South and in the SouthEastern Conference there is no ritual like College Football Saturday. I can smell the BBQ already.

2.A. Pro American Football / Atlanta Falcons - I still have to give pro football its due. From the days of watching Bartkowski in Fulton County Stadium to watching Vick in the Georgia Dome, the speed, ability, and power of professional American football is undeniable. And the rollercoaster ride with the Falcons is equally as undeniable.

2.B. Football / Fulham Cottagers - The history, the passion, The Cottage, and most importantly, THE FANS! It pains some people that we refer to this as The Beautiful Game, but it really is. The Brazilians understand, this sport is equal parts athleticism and movement, which makes it so thrilling to watch. Add in the history of a team that has been around before the 20th century and fans that swear their allegiance until death (and even after). Well, where do I sign up? Oh yeah, already did.

3. College Basketball / Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - While I used to follow the season, I now anticipate the end so that we can get to the most exciting tournament of the year, March Madness! Again, the fact that so many young guys, with so little of a chance to graduate to the next level, giving every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears in hopes of just staying alive for one more game, especially the underdogs, well that is a feeling that anyone should be able to relate to. And GT was the team I grew up with while living in the ATL. Price, Dalrymple, Hammonds, D-Scott, those were the glory years for Tech.

4. Major League Baseball / Atlanta Braves - Having a baseball team almost seems like a constant (because of the long season perhaps?). Tradition-wise, it is probably the closest thing we currently have to the Premier League. When your team is winning, you buy ridiculous amounts of paraphenlaia, spend too long in front of the TV, and they provide a constant conversation peice about the latest guy on a hitting streak or the success of the starting rotation. If they are losing, well then they have to compete with washing the car or watching golf. The Braves have been bittersweet in their success, with a record number of consecutive division championships (14, I think), but only one "World" Championship to show for it. But still, harking back to my days at Fulton County Stadium to see Dale Murphy, Chris Chambliss, and Bob Horner, to todays lineup of rookies and recent stars, the Bravos have always been my team.

That's enough for now. Look forward to others' lists.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I notice that you didn't include soccer in the poll, but did in your list. Nemmind.

Here's mine:

1. Fitba -- FFC, LTFC, anyone in Europe fielding Yanks, MLS

2. Baseball -- Houston Astros -- Heard their first ever regular season game in 1962 and have been a fan ever since. I liked the dome but love the Juice Box. Catch every game I can on TV, but the Tim and Bob Show has cut down my road trips., Baltimore Orioles I began to follow them in the late 50s when they replaced the Tigers as the "Yankee Killers." I continued to follow them and then, in the early 80's we moved to Anne Arundel County and I got to see about 20-25 games a year, including the Oriole Magic year of 1983 -- my only successful pennant race lunacy experience, San Antonio Missions I grew up with Minor League Baseball and continue to love it. I love the Missions because they have the best mascot in all pro sports -- Henry the Puffy Taco -- and because Wolff Stadium is the only place I know where a rain delay resulted in cheers and applause from the crowd [drought, don't you know].

3. NBA -- San Antonio Spurs Good style of play; good citizens on the roster. The city is full of retired Spurs and they grace us with their presence. Shame I can't afford to attend in person any more.

4. Cricket -- West Indies of the 60s-90s From Garfield Sorbers to Richie Richardson and Courtley Ambrose, it was cricket with style and steel drums. A joyful experience. One reason I miss living in England was making the Sunday afternoon stroll back from the pub include a detour to the local cricket ground for 8-10 overs. A beautiful, peaceful sport; nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

5. Highschool Football -- the REAL Texas religion

6. College Soccer -- Men's/Women's -- WE have the Big 12 Women's tournement here every year, and I enjoy the NCAA playoffs. I root for Maryland, naturally, but this is the only sport where I've ever rooted for UNC in a game.

7. Maryland, Troy State, UNM college sports. I don't really care for College Football or Basketball [except for March Madness]. I do enjoy the CWS in baseball, but I wouldn't pass up a 4th replay of a CCC match to watch a game.

8. NFL [only because there's no lower ranking] -- Whoever is playing the Redskins.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I called it Football, but perhaps I should have changed it to Fitba, which I like quite a bit.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

1. Football -- Fulham FC
    2. College Football -- Clemson
    3. Hockey -- Used to be a bigger fan before the lockout and restructuring of the game/rules. Grew up a Hartford Whaler before moving down south.

5. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

1. American Football (pro / college) - my alltime favorite sport; I'm sure nothing will ever eclipse this. Growing up, the pro team of choice was the Houston Oilers, and then (secretly) the Tennessee Titans, but now we have the poor, poor Texans. And I love them. Also, my grandfather played at LSU a billion years ago, so I'm a big Tigers fan. I played a year at Millsaps College (Div. III), so, um... go Majors!
    2. The OTHER Football - played it since I was five, but this is my first year following the EPL, so Cottagers are it! I do like the German national team, though--especially this past WC. Great names: Schweinsteiger, Frings, Podolski, etc.
    3. Baseball - It gets really boring between August and the playoffs, but I've been an Astros fan as long as I can remember. I was crushed when we lost to the Mets in the '86 NLCS. I was also 7, so the love started early. Being a 'Stros fan is much like being a Fulham fan--a LOT of ups and downs, but if you're a fan, you're a good one and a fan for life.
    4. Lacrosse - it's a hard one to follow because it's still an up-and-comer, but I played it in high school (team captain, thank you) and really, really enjoyed playing it. Especially the hitting part. With sticks.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

1. Soccer- Fulham and DC United.

2. MLB- Boston Red Sox. I remember my first game at Memorial Stadium with the Red Sox playing the Orioles. My first Fenway Park game when I was 6; the "tastes great, less filling" chants, beach balls, taunts at the opposing team. My cousins and I sat behind opposing team's bullpen in the bleacher seats and tried to get autographs before the game, but heckled them during. I don't even remember the final score or who the Sox were playing.

3. NFL- New England Patriots. They were my team through thick and thin, but no more. I tired of seeing my favorite players move on to different teams. Vinatieri in a Colts uniform--yuck. Sorry, good-bye NFL.

I used to follow NHL and NBA until every city had a team, now there is too many meaningless games and awful teams.

7. BC

BC New Member

1. Football/Soccer- Fulham FC
    2. NFL- Chicago Bears
    3. College Basketball- University of Illinois
    4. MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
    5. Hockey- Chicago Blackhawks
    6. College Football- University of Illinois

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

1. Soccer - Fulham FC

2. NBA - Chicago Bulls and Cleveland Cavaliers

3. College Football - Michigan Wolverines and Notre Dame

4. College Basketball - Duke, LSU and anyone who plays the University of Illinois

5. Tennis - both womens and mens. Favorite players are Anastasia Myskina and Maria Kirilenko on the women's side and Andre Agassi on the men's side.

6. NFL - Chicago Bears. Outside of the Bears I do not really care.

7. MLB - Chicago White Sox....when things are going well as has been the case recently, baseball is fun, but when not, this sport can get boring quickly.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

1) Soccer- Fulham FC, USNT

2) Formula One- Used to claim the first spot, I find my interest in the sport is slowly declining. Main reasons are my favorite driver Juan Pablo Montoya crossed to the satanic world of NASCAR, and Bernie Ecclstone is a greedy douche who doesn’t give a rip about the history of the sport.

3a) NFL- Minnesota Vikings- very compelling sport with lots of strategy, but to many stops and commercials! I don't have four hours to sit on a couch! Unless its back to back EPL games of course :D

3b) NHL- Minnesota Wild- I like hockey though its not great on TV, really a sport that runs in the family other wise I probably would not have found it

4a) Golf- I watch the majors, Ryder Cup, and Solhiem Cup, I love match play golf! The rest is ok, I watch both LPGA and PGA. Favorite players include Aaron Badley, the always classy Tiger Woods, on the women’s side Lorena Ochoa, Karie Webb, and pretty much all the Americans (excluding Wie)

4b) Tennis- I watch majors, the rest is crap. Went to US Open two years ago and really enjoyed it. Favorite players: most Americans (exclude Serena Williams, Mary Pierce) also like Kim Clijesters, Martina Hinges

5) Miscellaneous- I'll occasionally watch basketball, baseball, and perhaps others

other- International Competitions- actually move to one or two on the list when they occur. I love Olympics. Thought the World Baseball Classic was great, who can't love Mike Piazza playing for Italy? and who knew Holland played baseball? I'm sure to enjoy the up coming Basketball World Championships, though Canada's not in it? wtf? :x yet another sport they under achieve in.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yeah, I really like watching the majors and the Ryder Cup. I am a Tiger Woods fan. With the PGA Championship in the Chicagoloand area this weekend it will be extra cool. Go Tiger!

11. BC

BC New Member

Re: RE: Favorite Sports & Teams

How come you don't like the Illini? Not being confrontational here, just curious.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Football-Fulham FC

NBA-Lakers

MLB-Mariners

NFL-Da Bears

CollegeBB-Tar Heels

College Football-Michigan

Hockey-Avalanche

Rugby-Waratahs

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My dad never liked Illinois. I grew up about an hour away from Champaign and never liked the team. It is a great educational institution, but in terms of their athletic teams, I cannot stand them. I wear a North Carolina shirt around once in a while simply to thank them for beating Illinois in the 2005 National Championship game.

I probably despise this team with about the same passion I hate Chelsea. It is strange, but it is just the way I am.

14. BC

BC New Member

Ouch, that hurts :). I feel the same way about Duke and North Carolina that you do about the Illini. At least we can agree on Fulham!

15. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Re: RE: Favorite Sports & Teams

Soccer- US National Team, Fulham

Football- Ohio State, Cleveland Browns

Basketball- Cleveland Cavilers

UFC- Andrei Arlovski

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Cheers to that BC!! We will not let our differences get in the way of our support for Fulham!

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

O crap! I didn't realize when you said "football" that you meant "football." Sorry PCB; I claim old age and confusion. If those are my choices, scratch one for Baseball and add one for football/fitba/foosball/footie! :rock:

18. BC

BC New Member

Right on, mate :D

19. krhimself

krhimself New Member

In this order:

Baseball - Seattle Mariners, Softbank Hawks (from Japan)
    Footie - Japan NT, Fulham
    College Football - Florida State
    College Basketball - Florida State, Rollins College (D-II)
    NBA - i used to love the Magic back in the day, but now, the interest is basically gone. there are many people in Orlando who feel the same way; just look at all the empty seats at their games.

20. rumstove

rumstove New Member

1. Formula 1 - Even though my favorite driver JPM quit it's still great. I don't dislike any of the teams except Ferrari. Normally I hate Ferrari, but this season I'm looking forward to the Ferrari/Renault battle for the title.

2. Tennis - Fun to play, fun to watch. Roger Federer is top notch. So smooth, so fun to watch. Maybe someday he'll get past Nadal and win the French. I also like womens tennis. :wink:

3. Hockey - DU (as in Denver University), and the Minnesota Wild. I still don't like any NHL teams from cities that never get snow. :x

4. Football/soccer/whatever - Fulham...and in a distance I try to keep up on Burton Albion Brewers and MK Dons.

5. Baseball - I dig Twins and Brewers equally.

6. NBA - not a big basketball fan, but I like it when the Bucks and Timberpuppies do well.

7. NFL - Vikings.