FanDom.. Oh How the Lowly have Fallen

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 18, 2023.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

My second thought on seeing the results of Fulham at Everton was to feel sorry for Blues Fans.
    There's good reason for this. Looking at the standings it's apparent they're mired in no-hope land and forever destined to be that Other football club in Scouse City.
    Shame! Because they do have good fans.
    In my past as a follower, I subscribed to 3 UK messageboards before lighting on Fulham's .. Liverpool, Preston and Everton.
    Obviously, the second two and Fulham were based on McBride. Liverpool was interest in Brad Friedel.
    It was my experience as a Newby Yank on the Scouser board that put me wise to the character of the worst fans in the Prem.
    I was treated with derision even by those who despised David James with white hot scorn.
    I received much different results from Preston fans, and later Everton followers.
    Not that they were necessarily hopeful that McBride would make much difference but they welcomed outside viewpoints, if only to debate.
    THAT'S why I feel for Everton's poor fortunes. Their fans, at least those of decades ago, don't deserve this.
    -30-

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    HatterDon, SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@pettyfog Great points Mr. Fog, but sometimes getting relegated serves the greater good in the long run. I can remember the biggest red headed step child in the league Man City getting relegated, they bounced right back, but the pressure to sell never left. The second deep pockets bought them, Citeh’s fortunes changed and they don’t play second fiddle anymore to ManU.

Everton is building a new stadium on the waterfront that is going to be an over 50K seat state of the art facility. I wouldn’t be surprised if the value of club will skyrocket to the point that the club will be sold to someone or a group that pour cash into the squad.

pettyfog likes this.
  3. tim

tim Active Member

I hope that's the case, Joe. I like Everton (as much as I can like any club that's not Fulham). The new stadium will do them wonders. Just getting out of the shadow of Anfield (quiet literally from my understanding) is a good step. I would imagine it will help attract neutrals, new fans, tourists, etc. Not that any of that makes a huge difference to the generational fanbase, but hopefully gets them back up quickly and helps turn them into a top-half of the table contender before too long.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I like the Toffees too…almost picked them as my team back when I became a serious footy fan. It’s not good for one team to dominate a market. Anywhere. Ever. With the new digs, I can actually see them superseding Pool someday, unless they completely replace Anfield, which isn’t very likely and I wouldn’t expect it.

pettyfog likes this.