Family Values

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I thought this also. I started working at a huge hospital this past year and was astounded at the amount of health care resources I saw going towards obesity related health problems. I had no idea how many health issues arize because of obesity. However, I looked into it and was unable to find proof that obesity causes increased health care costs for society. In fact, the only studies that I could find showed quite the opposite. Over the course of a lifetime, it is the healthy people, not the obese or the smokers, that actually cost more. Healthy people live so much longer and the costs of nursing home care and chronic age related conditions end up being higher. Obese people cost more at younger ages but on average they do not survive long enough into old age to cost more.

This means companies that provide health care would want to encourage employees not to be obese, but when a government is providing healthcare for all it's citizens it would actually be cheaper for them to be obese or smoke.

So while we have a government about to pass an 800 gazillion dollar stimulus package that our children will be burdened with paying back, at least we have lots of obese people that wont burden our children with their healthcare costs.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I agree with much of what you posted as well, but I think the remark about Angelina Jolie is cheap and hackneyed. When so much is written about navel-gazing movie stars that care only about themselves and their looks, trashing Jolie who spends much of her time between movies promoting nutrition and health care in Africa and Asia as a volunteer for several international NGOs is as misguided as you can get. Like her or not, the woman believes in what she believes and does something about it. And the international health agencies that have benefitted from her interest over the last 10-15 years are very appreciative.

Why do you [and most every other conservative I know] always need a bad guy to make the counter to your point?

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

What's an 800 gazillion stimulus package compared to an 11 tragillion national deficit? :wink:

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Hmmm....talk about stereotyping. At least Mo used a specific person to make an example so you can better understand her point. You basically make half the country the bad guy with your consistent attempt to paint conservatives in the darkest light you can find. I thought you were against that idea Don?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fair point, Ridge.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

To be fair to Mo, I think AJ's previous personna has stuck in her mind.

I once thought the same.. but AJ has continued on with what she thinks is the right thing to do and supports many other causes to do with the third world.

And she does it without making a big political deal out of it, unlike some!