Family Values

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jan 31, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. tonyb

tonyb New Member

Holy crap that's a lot of kids to have. Dammmmn. That's a total of 14 freakin kids. She's out of her mind. God help her

3. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Re: RE: Family Values

[​IMG]

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I read a much better article concerning this over the weekend. This truly is unconsionable and this sort of thing should be illegal - ethical debate my a$$. What the article that Don posted didnt mention is that the woman is single and her other six kids were born via fertility treatments also. So this single woman now has 14 kids and her poor mother is having to help her. Any wonder why our health care costs are so high. Pregnancies like that are very risky so they require extra visits to the docter, repeated ultrasounds, and long hospitalizations both pre-birth for the mother and post birth for the children.

Sorry but Dan Quale was right all those years ago.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, you're blaming this on a fictional character also?

6. Clevelandmo

What Quale criticized was glorfying single moms to the point that no one will dare say "you know what, that isnt right"

It stems from an actual respect for the challenges a single mom faces and concern for children.

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'm with Mo on this, we are too politically correct as a society. Rights we hold are not always black and white. Common sense needs to prevail at times. As the old saying goes, there is the 'letter of the law' and the 'spirit of the law". I have and love kids but nobody should be having 14 kids from a sperm donor while living with their parents, I defer to TonyB, he made perfect sense when he said:

"Holy crap that's a lot of kids to have. Dammmmn. That's a total of 14 freakin kids. She's out of her mind. God help her."

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm not the slightest bit shocked to hear you conservatives so strongly in favor of women having fewer children. It's what I expect after your efforts to support contraception and abortion rights. I'm proud that your resolve doesn't weaken when you're accused of supporting Eugenics and China's one-baby policy. I admire your resolve in the face of people accusing you of being elitist know-it-all nannies who know so much better than everyone else how they should live their lives.

I am a little confused about "the spirit of WHICH law," though, Ridge. Is there a law restricting the number of children a woman can have? Nationally? in California? And what would you have society do about this woman if only theyd stop being so "politically correct?" Which of her black and white rights would you restrict?

I'm also a little confused about how a TV series that went off the air 20 years ago influenced this idiot to have 14 children, Mo. But then again, I don't assume that everything I disagree with exists because of permissive Hollywood liberals.

Sheesh, y'all.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

this is nutty

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

[Pardon me as I hijack the content of this thread, but keep in it under the topic]

Can anyone really explain why everyone is so up in arms over Phelps' pot photo?

Honestly, its pot. Was it dumb? Yes. Illegal? Yes. But decriminalized in 12 states!

Had he had another drunk driving arrest then I could see the uproar. But everyone pontificating so is appalling.

"How will I explain this to my daughter?" Mike Golic just asked.

Well she does plan on going to college, right? She'll find out then, and probably try it there, anyway.

Utterly ridiculous.

[disclosure: I dont smoke or promote its legalization]

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

his gold medals are safe. NOBODY would ever call marijuana "performance enhancing."

12. jmh

jmh New Member

For musicians, maybe. :wink:

13. Clevelandmo

Totally agree. Let him be human; he's worked harder everyday than most people will ever work.

14. tonyb

tonyb New Member

yea it dont matter he might lose a few sponsers or endorsements but he will be fine. hes started training for the next olympics and i think within 6 months of the olympics drug test does any pot or drugs show up. but still a stupid idea especially for him. i wonder what his little mommy did to him.

15. Bradical

Bradical Member

Don't forget about our national obesity problem... which gets worse by the day, and costs us (taxpayers) billions.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

On, Phelps. The dude lived like a monk for years. He is young, let him frolic a bit. I also thank he handled it well by admitting to it quickly.

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Phelps - a minor embarrassment. But why hasnt anyone linked the pre-olympic articles on his prodigious eating habits to pot use?

Just my own opinion but I'd guess Phelps is one of the 85% who wont go on to more destructive drugs. Yet.

- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
    This:
    [​IMG]

compared to the topic starter?!!!!!!!

Why doesnt jimSig or the original source point out to us exactly who in THAT photo is likely to be a drag on society's resources?!!!

I dont support or endorse that family's size, nor the parents' reasoning in having one baby after another.
    But if you learn anything about them, you know they are self-supporting, mutually supportive and will contribute to the community rather than suck up our tax dollars.

18. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I did not post the photo as I feel that the Duggers are a drag on society as I have seen the show and know what it is about. From a rights prospective I feel that as long as people can afford that many kids they have a right to have them. Personally however I feel it is a bit ridiculous to have that many kids.

I just think it's funny photo and saying, thats all.

19. Clevelandmo

This case is different from a family having fourteen kids. The distinction is that this is a single woman who had six kids all at once and then eight kids all at once. No one, or couple for that matter, can take care of 8 infants by themself. This woman will undoubtedly burden her family (sounds like it is just her mother) and the system. She has certainly already over burdened the healthcare system with the extraordinary costs of having fourteen preemie babies and two extremely high risk pregnancies. I've heard nothing about the health of the kids but odds are they will have significant health issues and at the very least devolopmental delays which their schools will be burdened with. It is insane and criminal that we allow this. Find me an adoption agency that would let someone adopt six or eight infants all at once.

I have no problem with the family in jimsig's picture. If a couple wants to have fourteen kids the old fashioned way then I say "have at it".

And Don, why I dont mind being branded as a conservative, I have always supported abortion rights and contraception. I also support gay marriage soley because they are allowed to adopt children and have in-vitro fertilization (i.e. marriage, children, family values). Also, I never said this woman was influenced by Murphy Brown. However, she does live in a society that glorifies single mothers rather than communicating that single motherhood is a situation that you should try your best to avoid. When the magazines showed a single Angelina Jolie adopting an African child, there should have been a disclaimer - "warning, Angelina is a filthy rich, professional nit wit, please dont try this at home."

20. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I decided I wasn't going to post on this issue again, since it is bound to misunderstood by my political opposites on the board but screw it...Agree with you 100% Mo.