Facebook Redux - rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 1, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

We've had a few discussions on here about Social Networking, the latest being Mike's thread on doing one for Fulham

Well.. I made the mistake of responding to some message that my facebook profile was going to 'expire' or that it was incomplete.. dunno which. So I 'refreshed' it.

Big mistake. People coming out of the woodwork trying to 'friend me'.

And now for some reason, I'm getting a ton of 'Classmate' bs, as well. All I did was go there and LOOK.
    So.. I get a message from a 'girl I knew' back when in HS asking where I've been. Answer: same place I was last time she asked.. about 15 years ago.
    Am I going to the 50th?
    Answer: Dont know. Some of my most annoying memories are of HS. Everything I accomplished came AFTER. Everything that shaped my Personna came BEFORE.
    You know those movies about 'reunions' and old school buds? Those attitudes arent fiction. I've gone to a few reunions and had a good time. I had a better time at my wife's though.. and she's six years after me.
    Don't get me wrong.. I wasnt one of the 'shunned', I got along with most everyone and no one was cruel or even mean to me. But I wasn't one of the 'insiders' either.
    If I aint thrilled about getting together, wholesale, with my old school chums from fifty freakin years ago, why the hell do I want friends of friends, most of whom I never even heard of and never will meet?

Some guy even wants to be friends from Lauren Doble's page.. WTH!!!
    Lauren was, and prolly is still, a sweetie.. but she's like what, 20yo now?

What I like about this site and my interpersonal relationships via what I do and where I go, whether on the net or off, are they are basically obtained one on one.

I'm gonna repeat what I said before about those sites... the only ones that make sense to me are 'vocational'. Meaning 'LinkedIn'. Since I aint doing 'vocational networking', then why bother!

So, when these people ask to 'friend' me.. what do I do? I'm leaning to doing nothing.
    If more people do this, maybe I can delete my facebook and classmates profile.
    Nothing personal but sheesh.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Sucker.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I have over 500 friends on Facebook, most of them those I went to high school with. That said, I guess it's different for me. I went to Frankfurt American High School, Frankfurt Germany. I have a really tough time relating, regarding high school, to those who went to high school "state side." Us military brats have a different kind of bond that allows us to connect far easier than circumstances would normally dictate. Heck, I went to a class of '82 reunion in Baltimore (and I'm '87) and still had a great time and made good friends, all because we had such common experiences.

So yeah for me, Facebook has been a huge boon in connecting with people that I want to get back in contact with. And no, HS wasn't great for me - I was a 145 lb nerd; after 20+ years, none of that matters now.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've got 150+, and only ONE is a person I went to high school with. I've discovered a bunch of music-related groups that have come in handy, and I have managed to rediscover lots of good people I'd lost track of in the last 20-25 years or so, so I think it's a good thing.

Fog, you have the ability to block all the people and games and events that irritate you. That certainly helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

5. pettyfog

Top 10 gaffes on Facebook, Twitter and Google

Serious Dain Bramage displayed

Resurrecting this as it came up in a family gathering.. I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the chains of 'friending'.
    Of course there's ways of dealing with it. But why should I bother?

Oh... and yet another thing for Your Favorite Elected Democrat to get Whiney-Nanny face time over

- I exercise my personal option, schmuck! I dont care for it.. but I never expected them to do otherwise.
    Of course I suppose most of Schumer's constituents are as stupid as he believes we all are... is that it, Chucky Boy?!
    dont like it? Call for TWO SENTENCE T.O.S

- If you talk about it, click on it, or just hover your pointer.. we notice and record.
    - We will sell that info unless you say we cant
    - Oh... and we know where you been and plant little blips to tell the next sites you were here. But you knew that already, didnt cha!

Ooops! Guess that's three if you go the extra mile for Schumer voters

6. pettyfog

Potential Twitter Trainwreck

Ohio Considering Using Twitter to Announce Executions? WTF! Epic Fail

Could'a just linked directly to Dispatch but better to have unknown law-blogger viewpoint.
    Ya Think?
    Is there a Dont Use Social Media Option?
    Why?