FA Cup Rd. 4 at Old Trafford

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Never a good thing to have low expectations, and after traveling to the blue side of Manchester and having exactly ZERO shots on goal, it's hard to think anything good will happen Saturday. However, maybe the pressure of not having to worry about the league table will help (No, I haven't been drinking this morning). Being realistic means our best hope is probably a smash and grab draw to take it back to CC for a replay. Considering the environment I would think Berba will do more running and less complaining, and would not put it past him to find the back of the net. Most interested in seeing who he starts at LB if RIchardson can't go. JAR is deep in the doghouse and to be fair to Jol has been terrible, but Briggs seems to make one or two huge errors a match so the experience of an ex-Liverpool player might be a smart move. Predictions??

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I like the Cup matches b/c I think they're our only shot of ever winning anything. So it's rare that I'll ever endorse pissing that opportunity away. However, I feel if we stick with the status quo, that's exactly what we're doing.

So play the kids. Maybe they'll be overwhelmed enough by the situation that they ignore Jol's tactical instruction and just go out and play instinctually. Not saying we'll win, but it may be entertaining (even if it does end in flames). It's not like there are points on the line anyway. The more Prem experience they get the better equipped to compete in the Championship they'll be. Maybe they even inspire the first team with their fight.

Who knows, maybe Jol radically changes the approach and we win.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I wait to see who is playing for United before I turn my expectation meter on.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We need Berbatov up front. He has something to prove to SAF. I'd go with the 4-4-1-1 AND MAKE THE BULGARIAN STAY GOALSIDE OF RUIZ!

United likes to play 2 or 3 wingers against us, and Evra and the Ninja Turtle are really overlapping this season. We need pace on our wings to keep them honest: Briggs, Riether, Dejagah/Duff, Special K.

And we need to go for it. I don't think we can win, but it would be nice for us to show some aggression. I'm tired of seeing a wimpy Fulham out there. If you're going to die, then go down fighting FFS.

5. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

agree with Don, hoping to see them really go for this victory. Fulham have been quite boring to watch lately, so would much rather seem them lose in FA and going for it.

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

This! Exactly this! There is no ramifications on goal differential so as the game proceeds there is no good reason to play it overly safe. I won't be able to fault Jol for coming out organized with a counter-attacking game plan but at some point you have to let it all hang out.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

COYW!!!

Given the recent form, it would be quite Fulhamish to eek out a draw/win...somehow.

8. SoCalJoe

Richardson out with calf strain. Frei could be out for awhile. Diarra is out for at least another month (I agree it's a month..the month of April).

Back to Richardson, let's see exactly how out of favor Riise is w/Jol. If Briggs starts, will JAR be sold before next Friday?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I want Briggs to play instead of JAR because Briggs is playing better than JAR is.

10. AggieMatt

Could be a lost in translation thing. Maybe Jol left out the word "out" when talking to the team, because our performances have looked like they just hang.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And I want Briggs to play b/c I don't want JAR being injured before he's sold this month.

12. SoCalJoe

Good point Nev about selling JAR.

Nice and early on the left coast, got the dog walked, got the coffee brewing, and getting ready to watch the match and be in the chat....AND it ain't on until 9:30 PST?? :shock: :angry-banghead: :doh:

Have places to go later this morning and now will be forced to set dvr. Won't watch it if the scoreline is brutal, so hoping to see the match later and the boys put up a fight, COYW!!!

13. AggieMatt

That was embarassing. The bright side, we managed more shots on goal and scored one. About the only thing Hughes did right all day. Sidwell was dire. Berba was strolling around like he couldn't care less. If that's not a team that has quit on it's manager, then I don't know what one looks like. What's worse is we STILL didn't change our strategy and tactics.

Watching Fulham = :sad-roulette:

I'll watch the West Ham match, but it's getting harder and harder. Said this in the chat, but f'n Stoke are more entertaining to watch than us at the moment. By a wide margin. That's just pathetic.

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm getting damn close to switching teams...pathetic.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

quick bullets, since I'm not writing a match report on an abortion.

1. Game ended in the 2nd mint
    2. The best pass Sidwell's made all season was criminally wasted by Rooney.
    3. 6:30 before we touched a ball in Man United's half
    4. 32 minutes before a Fulham player touched the ball in Man U's penalty area.
    5. Hughes's goal -- which made it 4-1 -- was our first shot on goal in Manchester in 160+ minutes
    6. Berbatov won't even try to regain possession he's lost when the ball is only a foot away from him.
    7. The last time I saw anyone walk more on a green expanse than Berbatov was Tiger Woods in the Masters
    8. Why did Jol remove Duff when he was our most aggressive player?
    9 The outfield players were so uniformly poor that Schwarzer looked good by comparison.
    10. Our man of the match was Mark Clattenburg. Why? Because he
    a. could very well have red-carded Hughes for an intentional hand ball stopping a scoring opportunity.
    b. Ignored Duff's equally blatant handball.
    c. Made two or three very strange calls against United when they were threatening.
    d. singlehandedly kept the score at 1-0 for more than 45 minutes.

We sucked today, gentleman. We had no desire -- until Dejagah came on -- no defensive acuity, no central midfield cohesion, no positioning, no toughness. We are playing worse than we did under Sanchez, and THAT IS FRIGHTENING. :confusion-helpsos: :confusion-helpsos:

16. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well both Don and Matt already said what I was thinking - this frightening and someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

17. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

How the mighty have fallen...:(, oh and for all the Berba vs Dempsey debate, today put a nail in that coffin...

18. SoCalJoe

Score was not surprising, the effort was sadly not surprising, just a total joke. Knew the score but decided to torture myself and watch it and I don't recall a game (aside from my daughter's pee wee games years ago) with as much poor passing. I literally said aloud 'what are you doing' about a dozen times. HD, at least your second point made me laugh, but 6 & 7 needed to be reiterated. When your best player doesn't give a s#%t it effects the whole side. Does anyone think Berba would get away with the crap he pulls if he were still on United? We all get he's frustrated as hell, but doesn't anyone have any guts to point out he's part of the problem?? Nothing gets better by ignoring the issues. This team needs a serious attitude adjustment and it better happen at Motspur in the next training session.

19. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Yea Joe, if they don't come out with a lot more effort next time, I'll be very dissappointed. Being bad is one thing, but a lack of hustle is inexcusable to me...

20. AggieMatt

Tim, you're probably the most qualified person here to answer this.

1. From what you've seen, do you think Jol has lost the locker room?
    2. If so, is there any way for him to get them back?

Completely agree about the nail in the coffin on the Berba v Demps debate. I have to wonder if Berbatov isn't cancerous to the side.