FA Cup Fulham v Stoke [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Jan 23, 2007.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Next up Stoke. The luddites from the potteries are selom as imposing or scarey as their traveling army of animals.

Stoke rival Cardiff, Milwall and Portsmouth for "scum of the earth" followers. Stoke police provied a hooligan hotline to grass them up - honestly - it's like living the the dark ages. Grass up a yob.

Having said that, it is the FA cup, we are at home, and we are due a good result. Lets stuff them and send the fans home to take their frustraitons out on 'thy wives'.

Stoke is a town in the midland, roughly half way between Birmingham and Manchester. The local derby is played against Port Vale, the only team in English league football not to be named after a place. The town is situated on the River Trent and is famous for pottery with Royal Doulton and Wedgwood amoungst the best known names.

We have never played stoke in the FA cup, the only previous cup meeting between the sides was in the League cup round 2 in the 1994/5 season where we lost on away goals rules, winning 3-2 at home and losing 1-0 away from home. (NB Don - we won 4-3 on pens against Luton Town after 1 all draws home and away before meeting stoke).

Stoke City FC is the second oldest professional club in football. Sir Stanley Matthews started his career at stoke and Gordon Banks was also a long serving Stokemon. Peter Shilton spent 3 seasons there while Sir Geoff Hurst played at Stoke towards the end of his career.

They have won the league cup once, but no other major honours.

COYW

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for the history. Stoke were a feature of the old 1st Div when I first got to England in the mid-60s, but like Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, and a couple of others, they've sort of disappeared.

I like us 3-1. Here's the lineup

Warner

Moritz -- Christanval -- Pearcey -- 3U

Routledge -- Brown -- Boca -- Radz

BMB -- Runstrom

Give Liam a well-deserved rest. Bring on Dempsey for the last 30, but don't use Montella unless we're behind and then only at half-time or later. The BMB-IS partnership should begin in Sheffield.

This match will be my second of the day; I'll see you in the chatroom, but probably not until just before half-time.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

This match will not be easy, regardless of it being against a championship side although lets hope our home form continues and we can progress further in the cup.

There's a bit of a buzz about Fulham at the moment and th fans really believe we can make it to the final at the new Wem-ber-ley.

COYWs

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Stoke have added a few new players over the last week or two - I wonder whether that'll be a spark for them or whether they'll have problems due to not knowing what to expect from each other.

5. boudewijnzenden

boudewijnzenden New Member

fulham stoke on tv?

can anyone confirm if the game will be shown on sopcast or any other live internet feed?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bolo! Dude! Don't you have a match tomorrow? :shock:

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I wish I could see the game itself, but all the same I hope Fulham takes on Stoke with the mindset that they are playing a Tottenham or a West Ham or a Chelsea.

No, not that they can take a lead or come from behind for the result of a tie; I want 90+ minutes of effort for the Cottagers and aggression. I think against lower league sides, it may be a good idea to try to assert dominance as early as possible with a goal or two to take any wind out of their sails.

I saw on SkySports' newscast on FSC that Montella will get his first Fulham start against Stoke. Good luck Cenzo!

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Here is today's starting line-up;

---------Lastuvka-------
    Rosenior--Christanval---Bocanegra---Queudrue
    Routledge---Brown----Volz---Radz
    ------McBride-----Montella---

Subs:
    Dempsey
    Jensen
    Davies
    Niemi
    Knight

9. kov4ffc

kov4ffc New Member

Any word on Davies' injury? I saw on the match update he was subbed for injury.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I LOVE it when a plan comes together!

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the match report CT. Finally a comfortable win (maybe Pettyfog can tell us when was the last victory of more than 1 goal was).
    Hopefully the team can carry the mo into the Sheffield U match. They'll be well-rested, but 3 points for the Whites sounds about right.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Davies was not injured, Rosenior was. Perhaps I was not clear on the match report. Davies came in for an injured Rosenior. I am not sure the extent of the injury or what the injury actually was. I hope it is not serious.

Overall, a great win for Fulham. I think their last double-digit win was when Fulham pounded West Brom on February 11, 2006, almost a year ago. It was about time Fulham gave us a comfortable win.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

A very good performance.

Rosinior walked off and did not look too uncomfortable. Volz slotted in at right back.

The game started very well with a goal after 10 minutes. The goal itself was a bit scrappy, but Montella was their to poach a tap in.

The second goal was pure class, and the third I missed as I was looking the wrong way!

It is the first time I've seen Montella play live so I watch him for a while. I was very impressed. His movement is excelent. He never goes anywhere in a hurry and ghosted himself into good positions. He is a thinker, on several occasions he played good balls to where someone should be, McBride will feed off him as soon as they have an understanding. He was a spent force at the end of the first half. But fitness will come with matches.

Dempsy came on for the last 15 and played in every position all at once. He looked good, if a little overkeen! He put himself around, contributed at the back and moved well. He will take a while to settle and find an understanding, but he showed he has a physical presence and good movement.

McBride looked like he enjoyed working with Montella. After scoring his goal they both went straight to each other which is a fantastic sign for a team that works hard for each other.

Boca and Christanval worked well and seem to be developing a better understanding. We were exposed a couple of times, and a more potent outfit may have punished us. 3Q and Liam/Volzy were mostly untroubled.

All in all it was a good performance and I really enjoyed the game. Fair play to the stoke fans also - with 15 minutes to go they were all on their feet and belting out "3-0 and still singing, 3-0 and still singing". Although it was a little intimidating leaving the ground.

Well done FFC!

14. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Thanks Tom and GBFC, I'm very glad Fulham not only won a game but won decisively.

Let's take it to the Blades next!

15. hakeon

hakeon New Member

very good reviews from CT and GBFC about a very good game - thanks guys - having this quick feedback from the match helps us who have to imagine it through the other guy's radio feed.

and for those of you in the chat, fog pointed out the obvious to this dull boy - so now, thanks to this assistance seeing the obvious, i shall also be cool in the room. :banana:

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You've always been cool, dude!

Thanks also the ChiTom for his quick match review -- coming as it did only moments after the final whistle. Quicker and of much better quality that what we see from Sky or the Beeb.

FSC's SuperSaturday is scheduled for 3:30 this afternoon [Central]. Who knows, they might highlight the Fulham-Stoke match. Any road, they're bound to show the Kenilwork Kalamity!

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That was fun. Looking forward to see who we go up against next. I don't think we should be afraid of any team. And hopefully, we'll get to watch the next one.

Hat's off to the lovely DCHeather, for knowing that sharing is caring.

18. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

I was there today, and on a positive note Fulham were clinical!
    Montella was excellent, you could see his class and experience on and off the ball. Volz excelled again, and Radz keeps improving. When Davies and Demspey came on, they both looked amazing. Davies was solid and passed well, and Demspey looked confident, and almost scored with a 30 yard drive. He was very skillful, and took the mick of Stoke's defense with a few skills and flicks, and confident mazy runs. On a bad note, Rosenior didn't look injured, but was poor. He was very lacklustre and gave the ball away way too often. Volz looked comfortable and assured at Right Back, and in my opinion is much better than Rosy.
    Also, good news on the signing of Smertin-a possible centre-back? Also, heard that Craig Gordon, potential GK target to replace Niemi, was left out of the Hearts squad today because of ongoing negotiations with an unnamed Premiership team. Also, Maloney is on his way, so by the 31st we could have a pretty decent first team:
    Gordon
    Volz PC Smertin Queudrue
    Davies Deuce Brown Maloney
    McBride Montella

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Holy bananas! When was the last time Fulham handily defeated a team? And by handily, I mean demolish.

Its good to know Jensen is still alive, and Montella - welcome aboard! I know his status on the squad wasnt really ever an issue, but its so reassuring to finally have a second striker besides McBride. Seriously though: Radz is now a midfielder hybrid; John is a complete albatross both on and off the pitch; Runstrom is still a teenager; and Helguson must be suffering from some psychiatric disorder, as someone needs to notify him that bookings are not goals. If they were, Fulham would probably be fighting for a European berth right now.

So exicted for Tuesday. Lets go get our first road victory since (freaking) september!

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, I am still new to a lot of these players but what is Maloney's first name, trying to read up about him online?

Thanks.