European Cup/Champions League Quiz...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Team_of_McBrides, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Apologies if these quizzes have become too frequent or boring, but there just isn't much to discuss on the Fulham front due to a lack of signings.

Anyways this is the 4th quiz and the questions will focus on the European Cup now affectionately known as the Champions League.

1. Which two clubs have finished as runner-up 5 times each? (Hint...one is form Portugal and the other is from Italy)

2. Which English clubs have appeared in a European Cup/Champions League Final? (Hint...there are 6 clubs)

3. Who is the European Cup/Champions League's top scorer, this includes qualifying rounds? If you can also state how many goals he has scored.

4. Which England International has the most appearances in the Champions League?

5. Which three clubs has Clarence Seedorf won his four Champions League trophies with?

6. Who is the only manager to coach/manage a side to three European Cup/CL Championships?

7. What club has won the European Cup more times than they have won their respective domestic league?

Best of luck and hopefully I didn't mess up any of the questions.

Cheers

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i'll give it a go...and won't get any right!!! :)

1. Benfica and Inter
    2. ManU, Liverpool, Leeds, Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham
    3. Rudi Voller 19 ? obviously i'm reaching with these answers
    4. Bryan Robson
    5. AC Milan, Ajax, Juventus
    6. Carlo Ancelotti or whatever his name is
    7. Feyenoord?

ok...how did i do? 0 out of 7 most likely. :)

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Bust out the red correction pen on this answer sheet

1.Befica, Inter
    2. Liverpool, Arsenal, ManU, Leeds, Aston Villa, Everton
    3. I think Ruud and Sheva were passing each other this year...Sheva w/45
    4. Paul Scoles
    5. I'll copy Oms' w/AC, Ajax, Juve
    6. "' "" "" """ "" w/Ancelloti
    7. Absolutely no clue...Borussia Dortmund

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know a lot, but I do know that Notts Forest made two Euro Cup final appearances, so I think that both Aston Villa and Newcastle have to go.

Other than that, you're on your own.

Bonus question: Who was the first British club to win the European Cup?

5. Team_of_McBrides

Technically "British" could be titled as Celtic FC when the Lisbon Lions won it, but if that isn't correct I believe Nottingham won it after them.

Am I close?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Celtic it is, followed a couple years later by ManU.

Which was the first ENGLISH club to hoist a major European trophy? And which one was it?

7. Team_of_McBrides

Sheesh a quiz upon a quiz...let me mull this one over for a bit. No cheating, I promise.

So defining "major" I am guessing would be the European Cup, right?

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Aston Villa maybe.

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

no fair Don. just because you're two years older then the rest of us doesn't mean you can resort to "age tactics"! :)

10. Team_of_McBrides

I will say Villa Don...Could be Liverpool, but it is a question of what you consider a major European trophy.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually is was West Ham who beat Munich 1860 to win the old European Cup-winner's Cup. I think it was 64 or 65.

At the time in prestige, there was the European Cup, then the Cup-winners Cup, and then the Fair's Cup. The Fairs became the UEFA cup and, sometime between 1975 and 1990m[when I was out of the country and not looking], the Cup-winners got folded into the UEFA cup.

Nice to see everybody go wrong. And yes, as my friends like to tell me, I was "playing the 60-year-old card."

12. Team_of_McBrides

Geezers...Thank you kindly for the bit of trivia and I will use that to stump some of my friends who claim to be experts of football.

(parity) I'm told repetition is a fantastic way to learn from your mistakes...(parity)

13. Team_of_McBrides

ANSWERS...
    1. Which two clubs have finished as runner-up 5 times each? (Hint...one is form Portugal and the other is from Italy) Benfica (Portugal) and Juventus (Italy)
    2. Which English clubs have appeared in a European Cup/Champions League Final? (Hint...there are 6 clubs) Liverpool, Manchester United, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Leeds United and Arsenal

3. Who is the European Cup/Champions League's top scorer, this includes qualifying rounds? If you can also state how many goals he has scored. Raul (56 goals)

4. Which England International has the most appearances in the Champions League? David Beckham

5. Which three clubs has Clarence Seedorf won his four Champions League trophies with? Ajax, AC Milan and Real Madrid

6. Who is the only manager to coach/manage a side to three European Cup/CL Championships? Bob Paisley

7. What club has won the European Cup more times than they have won their respective domestic league? Nottingham Forest (2 European Cups and 1 Domestic Title)

14. Team_of_McBrides

Re: RE: European Cup/Champions League Quiz...

With SoCalJoe and Omsdogg being the only ones completing the quiz and Omsdogg getting one answer correct and SoCalJoe none...Omsdogg is the victor. Well Done