1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

So if the Italians win this thing, that doesn't give our win in Genoa in February more street cred?

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

tweeted by Grant Wahl,
    No is the short answer. It already happened with Olympic qualifying

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

After the horrible group play, I haven't watched the knockout round besides a couple of games. Sounds like it's been boring throughout.

I will do the unthinkable and root for Italy. I am like 40% Italian after all. I have to do it.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

No, same country, different team. How they fare in the Olympics may though.

5. jumpkutz

Plus they were sans Balotelli in Feb. The "good" Mario has certainly been a big difference for them in this tournament.

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

That kid is an incredible talent. Can you imagine what he'll be if he can even halfway develop some professionalism? Scary.

7. jumpkutz

Agree. I'm not optimistic about that happening at this point. I see a massive implosion on the horizon. And it'll be a hug shame. And give the tabloids huge amounts of material, I'm afraid.

8. jumpkutz

BTW, I like the Italians on PK's today.

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I like Spain. I don't think Pirlo will have time to sit on the ball and ding it around the pitch in the middle of Spain's 6 midfielders.

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Depends if ESP runs with 6 mids or gives El Nino a chance. Could mirror POR v ESP and go to pks. We shall see!

11. jumpkutz

Uh-oh. Did anyone else lose ESPN?

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, lost it briefly. Congrats to Spain, definitely were the better team today and throughout the tournament.

13. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The last team to knock Spain out of a tournament.........USA.

14. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Lol. Well Spain earned it. Tired them out then put the dagger in at the end.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I don't find Spain to be boring at all. They absolutely dominate and execute their game plan - they allowed a single goal all tournament - to Italy in the group stages. Their defense isn't as notorious as the tiki-taka, but they are a damn fine defensive side. Casillas in goal doesn't hurt either.

Spain beg the question: who needs a No. 9 if you have six No. 10s?

That US win in So. Africa looks better and better.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Word.

Had ten people at the casa for brunch and the Final, half of which weren't "soccer" followers. The uneducated were impressed. The hurting the Spainards put on the Italians was clinical.

17. jumpkutz

Clinical is a very good word. They carved 'em up like a microsurgeon. The question is can they keep it going for two more years? I know that's a long time and history is against them, but I wouldn't bet against them repeating in Brazil. No one seems capable of stopping them in Europe right now, who else would even have a chance? Unless they lose some key guys to injury, and several more begin showing their age in the interim, which isn't very likely and you wouldn't expect it, you've got to like their chances. Somebody would have to improve A LOT and/or catch them on a really bad day. I just don't see anybody stopping them from doing it.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Only four of Spain's Euro roster are over 30. Of those four guys, two are goalkeepers were age is not a huge factor and the other two, Xavi and Alonso, are guys where speed is not what makes them good.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Those of us who watched the match saw something akin to history today -- Iniesta and Pirlo on the same pitch. Very similar to

a. Bobby Charlton and Eusebio
    b. Bobby Charlton and Pele
    c. Johann Cruyff and Franz Beckenbauer.

For my money Iniesta and Pirlo are the very best in the world at what they do. If you like football rather than support a team, you had to like watching Italy and Spain this tourney -- although I could have done without all of Italy's fake injuries.

20. jumpkutz

Yes, why do the Italians seem particularly bad at faking injuries? They got their just reward in the end, though...a real injury after they'd used up their subs killed any faint chance they harbored of coming back by reducing them to 10...that's when Spain really stuck the knife in. They didn't deserve to lose 4-nil...except for the diving, which finally caught up to them.