1. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Absolutely true! What minute was that?

I was traveling today and didn't get to see much. I saw the last 10 or so and wasn't overly impressed with the pressure placed on England's D.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

weirdly the england - ukraine game has actually made me against goal line technology and other such instant replay technology in soccer. If you had goal line tech then maybe Ukraine would've been awarded a goal. However, the goal started with a missed off side call so how is that fair. Technology can be used to award the goal but not get the call that would've prevented the goal scoring opportunity, Most agree that we cant use technology to get every call in soccer right but these missed calls do sometimes lead to goals that arent given. Also, when do you stop the play for these missed "goals'? What if before you stop play someone counters and scores a goal before you can review the video? I would be somewhat in favor of goal line technology if it was instantaneous but I dont see how you can reliably do that.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

There will never be a perfect system, there are still mistakes made in other sports that have replay (the NFL especially), but there is ZERO excuse that technology isn't used in goal line circumstances. Plantini had to want to throw up when his precious little linesman standing 5 feet away didn't get the call right. It's apple and oranges when comparing offsides calls to goal line calls, getting an offside violation right from 40 yards away and when the offender is barely inside the opponent half isn't near as egregious calling a ball a goal or not. Yes, the flow of the game would be interrupted, but it would happen very seldom and should be implemented.

Aside from that, hat's off to Roy. They might not lead in style points, but the squad has bought in and to win the group is quite an accomplishment. He'll need Young and Milner (if he keeps starting) to raise their games to beat Italy.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

If you can get it right in the NHL, there's zero excuse for soccer. Hockey pucks are smaller, fly faster and are much easier to lose visually under goalies & players, and yet they've really it got it down.

I was wrong on England, unfortunately. I was certain they'd go up 1 then sputter and choke away the lead to lose 2-1. I'd love to throw the "goal that wasn't seen" up as an excuse, but given it wouldn't have happened had the offside been called properly, it's moot. I thought both teams had equal chances and both missed a sitter, so credit to England. Roy's luck is going to run out soon though with that back four, particularly his center back pairing. Man, Terry and Lescott are slooooow. I realize I'm in the minority not rooting for Roy.

So we've got Czech v Portugal and Spain v France on one side of the bracket and Germany v Greece and Italy v England on the other side.

I still like France as a dark horse but from what we've seen, I'm thinking Portugal v Germany in the final.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

62nd minute on the Ukraine goal, er, oops, I mean, not quite a goal.

6. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

I agree that momentum could have gone Ukraine's way, but that's playing the same "what if" game that is going on in the other thread. Ukraine lost 2-0 to France and needed a comeback versus Sweden to get the three points they did manage. They failed to keep themselves from being in a position where the refs controlled their destiny. Never good.

The group as a whole was unimpressive, in my opinion.

7. SoCalJoe

Agreed, hard group to figure out. Sweden probably played the best, but couldn't hold a lead. You would think Spain and Italy will take out the France and England, but I don't think it would be anything more than a mild surprise if the French or English advance.

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

SoCal, you might be right, I just don't see Italy having it together honestly. I think with each game England gains a little more confidence and seem quite happy playing as a team and playing roy's style.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Match today: the Czechs v. Portugal. Picks?

I'm taking the Portugese 2-1 over the Czechs. A bold pick, I know.

10. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

I agree SoCal. It helps that the English have a goalie that's playing well back there, too.

11. SoCalJoe

No Rosicky makes it doubly hard for my boys, didn't think they'd win with him let alone without him. 2-0 Portugal.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm gonna pick the Czechs, with Petr Cech having a big match between the pipes.

13. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

still 0-0's, so I can predict right? 2-0 Portugal

14. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Portugal once again had no problem creating chances and the Czechs never felt like they were really in it.

More bus parking tomorrow with Greece trying to thwart Germany. I'm expecting the same result. Germany have enough class in attack to unlock the Greeks.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yay Germany! Onto the next round.

16. SoCalJoe

Cream rising to the top so far in the quarterfinals, someone better bring their A game to the Germans.

17. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Was anyone else rooting for the Greeks after they leveled it up?

18. SoCalJoe

I had a deja vu moment back to the 2004 Euros when they won it. Was stunned back then, but was snapped back into reality when Khedera hit that sick volley. Don't root for either team, but don't mind the Germans winning since a Germany-Portugal semi should be great for a neutral.

19. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

I was rooting for the Greeks, didn't watch the game though, because of political reasons. Now I hope Portugal takes it to them. If that fails, then lets go Spain or Italy.

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I was rooting for Greece too, but only 'cause I wanted a good match.

Anyone notice Low is looking and acting more and more like Adolf Hitler all the time. OK there, I said it. But he is starting to act a little crazy.