8. Croatia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Holland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The Turks final goal was a quality shot. Anyone think Cech is going to sleep well tonight?

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Hehehehe, Petr Choke.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sucky. What the hell was Petr Cech doing??? If you are not going to catch it, punch the damn thing away!

Regardless, 2-0 up, and you lose in the final 15 minutes. No excuse. Gutted.

On to my next team.........Deutschland, Deutschland, Uber Alles....

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

featuring the far more stable Jens Lehmann between the pipes. :lol:

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

:3d funny:

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yes, but choosing which European team to pull for is a bit like choosing your family. As in, you can't.....at least if you have ANY pride in your ancestry.

For better or for worse, die Mannschaft!

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

What do you mean pride in your ancestry?

How do I pick from THAT? Do I pick Germany, Holland or England?

Do I have to go with the LARGER nationality contingent?

That would be {gasp} Holland, near as I can tell, just going by the surname as origin.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well, England is not in this competition, so that narrows it down to two for you. Holland is pretty darn good choice considering their first two matches.

I went with my surname first (Franek = Czech), then my larger ancestral contingent (Germany). But that is just me.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Being a typical American 'mutt' I follow the largest % of ancestry first and then so on. Sadly it all slipped away through Pete Cech's fingers (how many nights will he wake up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare about that howler??). Next on the heritage line is Scotland, but for the life of me I can't seem to find their Euro gametimes anywhere :(

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If I use my ancestry Irish is largest - they're not in it. English is next - same result. The only ancestry option I have left is French and I'm not rooting for them, just cant for some reason.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'd be supporting the Bravehearts, the Tartan Army, the Scots also, being at least 1/4%, but I seem to have run into the same problem.

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

My ancestors are the bad guys of the Balkans, the Serbs. Try to get your rooting arms around that one. I personally cannot.

Although I will make an exception for Vidic -- he is a tough, hard man. I like watching him play.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm waiting for the Cajuns to make it. That's my father's side. On the maternal side we're English with some Russian and German thrown in.

The Cajuns probably don't play a lot of footie, but they could write great songs about it and prepare some tasty stuff eat and drink while watching it.

On a more serious note, I've been watching regional and world competitions since 1966, and I think this is the best I've seen for game-after-game entertainment. Somebody give the refs some love for letting things flow.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am a fan of Poland. I can't give the refs, or at least Howard Webb any love after the penalty he gave to Austria last Thursday. I am still sick to my stomach thinking about that one.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I liked what the Polish coach said. He said the penalty was a bad call and when the interviewer asked him about Poland's allowed offsides goal, he said,

"Well, he got two calls wrong".

Like the players, these officials need to really give it that extra bit in the last minutes of the game. Affecting the outcome of the game is one thing but doing it with minutes or seconds left to play is another thing entirely.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

humans make mistakes, but contrast the role of the refs in EURO2008 and WC2006. In the earlier tourney, most of the games were ruined by card-flashing idiots. There were too many whistles and not enough flowing play. This summer there's been breathtaking play a'plenty. I still say they deserve some credit.

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Or contrast them to the NBA.......

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

So Germany beat Austria and Poland couldn't even muster a draw against a squad full of reserves for Croatia. Portugal must be pissed right about now. They were expecting Croatia and get Germany.

19. Terrier4FFC

Terrier4FFC New Member

I'll agree for the most part about the refs, but I'm not sure what the guy was thinking at the Germany/Austria game. A little touchy and trigger-happy there.

The games, in general, though have been really engaging. I can't believe the heart Turkey showed. Tuncay was a maniac and has to be credited with keeping Turkey in it.

My ancestry has me going hard for Scotland or England. Failing that, I want both France and Italy to lose tomorrow (I know, but dreaming is dreaming). I'd love to see the Netherlands do well, and expect them to get to the finals.

20. Terrier4FFC

Terrier4FFC New Member

Petr Cech gets some credit too, poor bugger.