Euro 2008 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCBaltimore, May 31, 2007.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I spent the summer before high school traveling around Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England.

My favorite places were London and County Cork in Ireland.

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

dude...Hagi was sweet!!! If I remember correctly, he was in his older years during that cup, but man was he good!

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Quickdraw...that is pretty much what I will be doing this fall. Primarily staying on the west side of London though. I hope to visit Wales, Ireland, Scotland and maybe even Amsterdam.

Dogg...Hagi was fantastic. Even when he began to age he still had amazing control and could strike the ball with good precision. Top player in my book.

4. FFCBaltimore

FFCBaltimore New Member

Kickflip89-

Thanks for the response. I've tried all those sites, to no avail. After two months of research and tinkering I've answered my own question: if you want to watch streams over the internet of football matches, you are simply out of luck if you own a Macintosh. There is a Quicktime plug-in called flip4mac that allows Windows Media streams to be viewed in Quicktime, and this worked for a while through jumptv, but it does not play DRM protected streams and now it seems that everyone (uefa.com, jumptv, sports5, etc.) have drm protected their streams so flip4mac is useless. Microsoft no longer directly supports media player for the Macintosh and there are no workarounds/hacks.

My personal solution was to buy a compaq presario (currently on sale at Bestbuy for an amazingly low price of $199, and includes keyboard, mouse and Vista Basic!) and hook it up directly to the VGA port in the back of my flat screen (I ran a separate cord for sound). Now I can watch all the Euro games I want. This isn't the best solution for a Macintosh owner that wants to watch one or two qualifiers but I follow the Greek National Team religiously (despite my irish name, I am half greek) and now I can also watch regular season Greek Super League games through drm protected streams (such as through http://live.supersport.gr/default.aspx , a web-site that also did not work on my Mac).

For any of you guys that follow teams, like Greece, that don't get their qualifiers aired on FSC unless they are playing England or Brazil, you may want to look into streaming these games to your television. It's good fun and beats crouching over your laptop.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Big day in the UK...

-Gotta feel for our NI contingent. Own goal for the second straight game (at the death) resulting in a couple 1 goal defeats, and all but sinking their Euro dreams

-Scotland 1-0 over France in PARIS. Is there anything better than making the French coach whine?? McFadden caught the whole french defense and GK flat-footed w/a long range bomb. I'm sure the rest of Europe wouldn't mind the Scots qualifying since it would knock out either Italy or ze French.

-England rolls Russia. two 3-nil games in a row when 3 pts was needed.

-being the American mutt I am w/both Czech/Irish ancestry I was hoping for a tie, but the Irish hit the post in a 1-0 defeat and would need a miracle to qualify (but my Czech team is sitting pretty).

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I was impressed by England - they are playing with more spirit than I have seen in a long, long time.

I think Gary Neville has lost his spot at Right Back.
    McLaren needs to look at other options at Left Back; Ashley Cole was the worst English player on the pitch.
    Gareth Barry looked good; Owen Hargreaves is in for a fight for that spot.
    Lampard's only hope of starting again is if Gerrard can't play due to injury.
    Who would have thought Rooney would have to fight for his spot when he returns, but the Heskey-Owen companionship has real chemistry.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I completely forgot who was playing on FSC channel yesterday -- abnormally slow work for me -- and then clicked on just as the Holland match came on. I clicked back and saw that the Wales match had just ended, clicked on Soccernet for the score and realized that I had missed a 7-goal match with Davies playing a crucial role. Timing. What exactly is that?

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

France dominated Scotland, but just couldn't find the net. McFadden hit a cracker from deep on a swift, but rare Scottish counter attack.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Interesting matches today:

Russia v. England (starts in under 30 minutes) 10:00 a.m. Central

Georgia v. Scotland (can the Tartan Army make it?) 12:00 noon Central

Sweden v. N. Iron (to watch half our Club's squad in action) 1:30 Central

Switzerland v. USA (not Euro 2008, but worth watching [the other half of our Club's squad]) 1:30 Central

Germany v. Czech (because it is nearly always a good match) 1:45 Central

That should cover it. Enjoy! :3d footy:

10. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Anyone providing chat room updates for us poor working folks?

Oops! Should I have said that out loud <8-(?!!?

-T

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Can do. For all the matches or just USA?

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: Euro 2008 Qualifiers

ummmmmmm, Russia 2 - 1 England. Holy cow!

England up 0-1 at half on nice Rooney goal. Things went south about 5 minutes ago. Rooney yellow, for taking guy down in the box. Penalty converted. Then just seconds ago, shot outside the box parried away, only to be chiped in by Ruskie.

Great match so far.

http://4.livefooty.doctor-serv.com/wed1 ... gland.html

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

terri; I'll be in the chatroom for the USA match; hope there'll be others there as well.

Re-Russia match: Will somebody PLEASE take the job away from McLaren?

14. DCDave

DCDave Member

Mighty Romania is in!

Romania has qualified for Euro 2008!

Their 2-0 win against mighty Luxembourg today puts them in the final. They currently lead Group G over Holland and Bulgaria, and Bulgaria's draw today coupled with the Romania win clinches the spot for the Tricolorii.

While they've been close to qualifying for major tournaments, this will be their first appearance in a Euro final/World Cup final since 2000.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Mighty Romania is in!

Dracula should be very proud (and my neighbor across the street, since he is Romanian).

Felicitări!!!!

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

17. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

England

Just a few thoughts on Good old England.

The British media have once again excelled themselves, after the Russian loss they immediately wrote off England, and of course McLaren, they were so sure that Russia would go there and win easily, a place I will add that only one team as won in the past 18 matches (make that 19).

They also gave no thought to the fact that Croatia might also slip up with a trip to Macedonia, two events that actually transpired, now they write England have been given a second chance by Isreal, because of the shock result yesterday, it was only a shock to them, Isreal are a tough team to beat these days, especially in Isreal, they only failed to qualify for the last World cup by goal difference.

The truth of it now, is that England can actually win the group on Wednesday, and if they do will these same sooth sayers come and apologize to Steve M , of course not, they will write their stupid gossip articles about who will replace him, you know if he was wrong as many times as they are he would have not one many games, but here he now stands one win and two goals from winning the group.

I am sure in England these same writers are giving Croatia no chance at Wembley, thats the only thing England have to guard against is feeling so confident that they only have to walk out on the pitch to win this one.

The press seem to forget, its not the coaches that play the game, its the players, it was not Mclaren who missed from 5 yards against Russia to put England 2 up and certain qualification, and it was not Gus out there playing for Russia against a group of soccer professionals who were not going to let a foreign team come into their house and walk all over them, just because the press said it was so.

Exactly the same thing goes on in the US, this year more than most years, every week the pundits and so called experts come out with their rankings for College football teams, and every week we are supposed to be surprised when one of their top teams get beat by so called nobodys, the truth is the games are played by humans, if the media was always right, there would be no need to play the games, but the media are humans as well, so that is why we do play the games.

I will be cheering as loud as any English fan on Wednesday, I will admit that we have not played well, we have had injuries but so as every team, our new coach as made mistakes, but he does not mould these players, and most of the time he as picked the best he could, and if we get the result we need in three days, next summer we will be as usual a very hard team to beat.

Lastly I would like the English media to know a saying that I learned when i first come to the US, and that is it aint over to the fat lady sings, and that was not in Moscow three weeks ago, it is 5.00pm EST on Wednesday, and all us English fans hope it is a song of sucess.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: England

and so say all of us, John. Eng-er-lund, Eng-er-lund, Eng-er-lund!