EPL Transfers (Not Fulham)

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 8, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5854030

Hmmm, Henry and Ribery in front. :shock: Arsenal will have quite an arsenal. We better get that defensive help stat! Especially if we are planning on a Champions League appearance. :wink:

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would expect Ribery to play on the wing rather than up front. Although Ribery is one of those players like Cristiano Ronaldo that can play most any position on the field in the attack. He will be a good addition to Arsenal's team and will add some width to the team if he does indeed play wide.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with Tom about his best position; and Arsenal's system rewards what they used to call "deep-lying inside forwards" which is, essentially, what Henry has been the last two seasons.

Ribery is a real talent, and was a major pain in the butt during the WC. I kept thinking as I watched him that the Prem is his true home. ... But, he has a new home almost every year; he has a reputation as a trouble maker and as poison in the clubhouse. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I look forward to seeing Ribbery in the prem. In other news, Sol Campbell to pompy. That one caught me off guard. Hard to see his reasoning.

5. rumstove

rumstove New Member

No other club wanted him with his wage demands.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Looking over today's transfers, it seems like old folks are really in demand. Andy Cole from Man City to Pompey? Dwight Yorke from Sydney FC to Sunderland?????

Hey, P-Fog, if this trend continues, we could be on our way to Accrington Stanley by dinner time! :lol: :big grin: :3d smile: :3d funny:

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano signed permanent deals with West Ham. Am I the only one who thinks these deals are a bit suspicious? I mean, how do you go from signing the likes of Carlton Cole and Lee Bowyer to getting two of the best players in South America? Not to mention that the owners of Corinthians (MSI) tried and failed to take over West Ham before the start of the 05-06 season.

Maybe it's just me, but something smells fishy in the waters of East London.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree that something fishy is going on here. Rumours were swirling last year about a possible buyer of the club from somewhere in South America. Perhaps they got this money through that channel. Not sure.

Regardless of what it is, it is a hell of a coup for West Ham.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I have a feeling that West Ham is being used as the middle man in this transfer. None of the top teams want to put up the big money for these two guys with out knowing that they'll make it in the EPL. A move from South America to the EPL is probably the hardest to make and not many players can do it. I sincerely hope these two can't.

What I suspect is Corinthians sent these two over to West Ham with the intention for them to only stay short term in order to prove they have the skills to make it in the EPL. A big team comes in and pays a HUGE fee and Corinthians get most of the money and West Ham gets a nice fee as well.

Its very suspicious but not surprised that the Iranian is involved since he owns Corinthians!

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Now on to the Ashley Cole and the ridiculous drama his transfer has caused us in the last year.

In the end, Arsenal made out on this deal and Jose's reaction and dismay at Chelsea using Gallas as a bride in all of this confirms it. Chelsea Finance man, Peter Kenyon, went above Jose in using Gallas to get Cole and Jose was appauled at the move.

Gallas plays a much more vital role with Chelsea than Cole at Arsenal and the fact Gallas can play at CB or on the left goes to show his versatility. I hate Gallas due to his stomp on Heidar but he is good.