[EPL] Portsmouth - Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by andypalmer, Aug 6, 2009.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Fans in very good voice as well.

2. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Congratulations to the whole Nevzter clan! I'm so glad to see Fulham continuing its time-proven tradition of winning the games that I can't watch.

But it still feels so good to be back in regular-season play. COYW!

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

A big congrats to the Nevzters, and I'm glad to see you arent wasting any time getting him match fit. This Saturday for some headers on that soft compliant skull shouldnt be a problem and may actually "mold" him into the next McBride.

And waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to go Bobby Z

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Nice to see Zamora is already halfway to his 2008-09 goal total in EPL games..... ;)

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Great crowd in the chatroom today -- I counted 27 at one point -- and good humor as well. My favorite line of the day [sorry, I can't remember who said it] was when we lost the iraq goals feed: "You know we pour so much money into Iraq, you think they could keep the link up."

Highlight: hearing the travelers loud and constant.
    Lowlight: Not being able to hear it on Gentleman Jim. I think the computer thought each of us was a bar or restaurant that had to have a license from the EPL to listen. Hopefully, Fulham FC will have that figured before the next broadcast.

A great day for Fulham. On to Europe!

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Always good to open the account with 3 points on the road. Ironically, most of the rest of the league thought so as well. I thought the boys looked good for the first league match of the season. As Roy stated in the postgame, the goal may have been fortunate, but we had 2-3 that should have been converted (AJ's gotta still be kicking himself).

Portsmouth actually looked a lot better than I expected, but for all of the shots, were hardly dangerous.

Lastly, a :banana: for the traveling supporters. They were tremendous.

COYW! On to more Europa glory.

7. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

That might be the line of the season.

8. LaxAttack

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A great Saturday! Fulham starts the year off with a 1-0 road win. 8) My nine year old and I got the rec league concession stand is cleaned out and ready to be stocked. :banana: Our local independent league baseball team got a 7-4 win in a nice night out at the ball park. :D Columbus is ahead 1-0 on my DVR'ed copy of the match. :D Now if I could just beat this damned insomnia. :cry:

10. LaxAttack

No wonder Zamora turned his back so quickly on Dempsey's shot that resulted in the goal:

[​IMG]

11. sullytex

sullytex Member

I can only comment on the highlights from MoTD. Fortunate to come away with all three. Pompey have a good argument for a draw. Both sides missed what I would consider sitters. I thought Zamora was going to double his goal output in the first game this year with that header.

However we had one go in and they did not. Great start! Can't wait for the home opener

12. FulhamInPDX

FulhamInPDX New Member

Great win to start the season. The winning goal was not pretty, but will take it. The performance as a whole was not pretty but will take it. Pompey controlled most of the game but being away it was nice to hold on to the lead and get the 3 points.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

o_sullyvan, I don't know what they edited for MOtD, but I didn't see a Pompey shot that the defense/Schwarzer didn't have well covered. Even the two or three shots that went "just over the bar" would have been easily handled by Tha Big Aussie had they been in play. On the run of play, 0-2 would have been much fairer than any draw.

It weren't pretty, but I never had a moment when I thought we'd lose our lead. Of course, I had no audie or video for the last 5 minutes, so ... .

14. sullytex

sullytex Member

There were two opportunities I recall that pompey had, one near the 6 yard box that was launched by pompey that should have at least been on goal. Given our goal was a bit of a fluke, it sounded like walking with all three was a bit fortunate (I have Zamora on my fantasy team so no complaints!). That said, I think aj and zamora should have scored a second from the highlights I saw, especially aj.

I qualify all of this as it was based on 3 minutes of highlights and the discussion of the talking heads on motd who did not say fulham should not have won but pompey did not do as well as they could have on some of their opportunities.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fantastic win and thank you very much for all of the well wishes! Fulham have a new good luck charm (even if he did sleep through 75% of the match!)

Onward and upward, COYW!

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Good game for Fulham, strange weekend for the EPL.

We deserved a 0-2 scoreline. I didn't see any chances by Portsmouth that would've troubled Schwarzer.

My MOTM: Clint Dempsey. Besides the "assist", he was involved in every goal scoring opportunity that Fulham created and was also very good coming back on defense.

Interesting factoids: Only TWO away teams (relegation favorites Burnley and Birmingham) failed to score and only FOUR home teams got victories. There were also ZERO draws. Add to that Fulham getting their first away victory in week one, and this is gonna be a CRAZY season!

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Pompey had the majority of attacking play, but they never really looked dangerous. The only opportunity they had that should've been a goal was when Nugent went for a field goal instead of a goal outside of the 6 yard box.

I'm happy for Zamora, but jesus christ he needs to learn to be decisive on breaks. We had a 4 on 2 and Zamora looked like he never lead a break before.

Really our attack was nothing special, but a win is a win.

18. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

To win when you don't play your best is an attribute I'll gladly take. We have to be better, if we would have played 15 other teams, the end result would have been different. AJ's sitter and Zamora's header are opportunities we cannot afford to squander.

Can we get Duff in there so we can get Gera to the bench???? The sooner the better. Gera proved to be rubbish, again, and I just don't see what he brings to the squad besides "you know what you're gonna get". He's only able to play with one side of his body, and is extremely limited in what he can do.

We know in a game like this in previous years, Pompey would have found an equalizer, and I think that's the difference with us now, the mental strength to hold on to the result. 3 points!!

19. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Without Hangeland in the middle the game could have gone differently, but all and all Pomy beat themselves by not taking advantage of those chances.

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Gera was awful in the first half, but he did step up in the 2nd half and at least eliminate his mistakes. He's still a big downgrade from Davies.