England bids on 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by quickdraw, Nov 1, 2007.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/s ... index.html

Now I know this may not be a big story now, but I wanted some opinions on the matter.

We all know by now that Brasil will be hosting the 2014 World Cup. Good for them. So now the attention of the football world has moved to 2018.

I've heard many things from English supporters stating that they should get it pretty much by de-facto since THEY invented the sport and haven't hosted since 1966 when they won it.

while those are decent arguments, and right by my judgement, it's also not everything. FIFA will no doubt look too places with the infrastructure in place and good previous hosting records. When the USA hosted in 1994, the games had the highest average attendance of any World Cup. That's not bad for a country who apparently is inferior in all ways when it comes to soccer and sports in general.

Do you think England should get it? The US? Someone else?

I'm a bit saddened by the doing away with of the Rotational Policy. That seemed the fairest method of at least scraping off much of the competition from the beginning.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Best choice: England [it's time, and most of the stadia are already built]

Worst choices: China or Mexico [my biggest concern is choking air pollution]

About the United States: Not before 2022. By then we should have plenty of soccer-only stadia and a better following of the game.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

If London runs the Olympics successfully (which they will), the WC will most certainly be awarded to them (I think the announcement comes a few weeks after the Games). Unfortunately, the US is being used to keep South Africa and next up Brazil to keep them in check 'get it together, because we can always go to America in short notice'.

Don the soccer specific stadiums in the US are way too small to host the WC, but we have so many great gridiron stadiums from which to chose. The new stadium in Arizona, the new Cowboys stadium opening in a couple of years will be sick, and the man who built the Staples Center in LA owns 600 acres in City of Industry (a 5 minute drive from my house) and wants to build a state of the art stadium, all woud be amazing venues.

4. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I'm really unsure weather or not England is the right place to hold the 2018 WC, many things have changed since 1966 and I'm hoping the Olympics will change my view on this happening. I along with you all will just have to be patient and wait & see.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think that it should be in England. They deserve it and it's certainly time. I just wish it werent so far away. I would like to book my tickets now and by 2018 I'll probably only last for one pint's worth in the pubs.