EJ .. still controversial

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Sep 2, 2013.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Fulhamish... {in the broader sense of the classical def}
    Monday MLS Breakdown: Eddie Johnson exposes the other side of big money deals for Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan

Well... you know what they say... if you aint getting paid enough, go to Europe. Raising your salary isnt going to make MLS profitable.
    - I didnt pick the Sounders game to attend because EJ was there.. I went to see Clint.
    Added: btw..read the comments on that link, all bases are covered. Summary: What I just said.
    If you still think his $150k salary is a pittance, read this

In related news:
    Unionized strip club owned by Feminist Strippers shuts down
    Lolz!

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great pic of the family Fog on the other thread, glad you were able to take in a game. Even though your interests have changed, enjoy reading your snapshot reactions to the game that you still know like the back of your hand. Hope the coaching change in Columbus will make you start watching the Crew a little more.

EJ went to Europe to get paid, and failed miserably. It looked like his career was destined to end meekly, but to his credit he has resurrected himself and probably has earned a pay bump (of which he should give a % to Sigi for the huge helping hand). However, EJ is not clicking the turnstiles.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lol.. thanks, Joe.
    Wont say I know the current game all that well. I'll leave it to you guys that have watched every chance for the last 5 years.. and to Don of course. No one analyses like he does. Long before I quit watching, I concentrated, here, on the biz and sideline aspects and that's still my main interest. CERTAINLY, I am not gonna weigh in on Fulham's on-field play or talent. I know diddly squat.

But I did recognize Clint's backheel nutmeg immediately. Thought I must have made a mistake, seeing things. A chance bounce and there might have been an own-goal.

In fact, though.. I reckon I'm gonna take a lot more interest in the Crew, given the new owner's passion to improve the club AND interim coach Bliss.. always liked Brian, his passion for the game is unparalleled.

Except maybe for Frankie.
    You know the guy has love for the crew when 'SurferDude' stays in Columbus. And, according to 2nd hand info on the Crew forum, Precourt has been in touch with Frankie a lot, concerning the club.

4. tim

tim Active Member

Brian Straus from SI on EJ: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130903/eddie-johnson-goal-celebration-mls-salary/

His take seems to be that, yes, EJ is underpaid, but not by enough to merit such a gesture. Interestingly, it also includes comments from the Sounders brass who seem to have no issue with EJ's antics, admitting that he's underpaid and that it will be dealt with.

I've never been a fan of such self-aggrandizing behavior. While he's been in good form of late, let's not forget that Seattle took him in from the wilderness, and as Straus points out, if he's expecting Dempsey/Donovan/Henry money, he's dreaming.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yep, when you feel like you're being underappreciated or slighted, you do tend to get a little snippy.

I hope he hits the ground running with DCU and in Brazil.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the celebration and frankly, his goal totals aren't that impressive. While I think they justify a raise, I don't think that they justify DP money. Especially given continued reports like this:
    Sounds like Eddie's biggest problems are still between his ears. As for the USMNT side of this, If DC pays him, does he lose his "slighted" motivation?

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This is another MLS weird deal--Garber is involved in it. There are rumors that a team abroad was going to offer him money, but MLS stepped in to keep him in the league. Seattle doesn't want him anymore, so he's now at the rock bottom of current MLS teams? My guess DC isn't completely enthralled with the deal but it's worth a shot if they're just giving up some allocation money.

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I truly don't understand people like this, especially given soccer's stature in this country relative to football, baseball, basketball and hockey. I'm sure the average American professional soccer player feels fortunate just to be getting paid to play for a living. I'm sure EJ feels he's well above average, but being a diva in THIS country? Even if he deserves a pay raise (and I'm in no position to judge whether or not he is), such behavior from an AMERICAN futbol player is not only a bit much to stomach, it's a waste. Still, I hope he does well and can help us in Brazil.

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

"he's simply the worst" , "lackadaisical efforts". I find it difficult to reconcile this depiction of EJ with the situation he has attained with Jurgen and the nats. Especially considering all the shake ups, intense training, and proving yourself even if you're the most established player on the team that has been modus operandi for Klinsmann. Double standards maybe? No, not Klinsmann.

I cant blame EJ for not liking things with the Sounders. God, who could? Best of luck to him at DC. I think that will be a better place for him. He won't have to kiss up to a militant, brain-washed fan base. Also, he was only making $156,000 with Seattle. That is absolutely ridiculous. There are players in MLS whom I havent even heard of that make more than that. Forwards that make more - Maicon Dos Santos, Mike Magee, Partrick Nyarko, Chris Rolfe, Jairo Arrieta, Edson Buddle, Atiba Harris, Gabriel Torres, Kenny Cooper, Eric Hassli, Blas Perez, Lionard Pajoy, Omar Cummings, Claudio Bieler, Saer Sene, Conor Casey, Robbie Finlay, Alvaro Saborio, Alan Gordan, Steven Lenhart, Alvaro Rey, Camillo Sanvesso, and of course Donovan, Keane, Di Vaio, Koevermans, Dempsey, Henry, & Kenny Miller (it's a joke how much this guy makes) makes multiple time more.

I would be curious if American players are cheaper in MLS, the same way they are in Europe. If so that would be sad. Other than big name or DP players, it should be the opposite.