Edson Buddle

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFC24, May 2, 2010.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Every national team manager is looking for a player who is on fire before picking their teams for the world cup. Zamora has made Capello watch him and I have to wonder if Bradley is thinking about Buddle right now. If you can name me a player who's played better since the beginning of the season, then I'm all ears. With 9 goals in 6 games, he deserves a serious look.

Findlay didn't look world cup material and I'm not sold on Casey being a world cup player. They are weak up top and could use a player who's in the best form of his career. I think he could do a job for the USA in the world cup.

Anybody else think he's worth a look or is this idea horrible?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

He's played himself into contention and deserves an invitation to camp. Ain't a bad thing he knows how to play w/Donovan either.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I definitely agree!

Some may protest he's too hard-headed and streaky, like Cunningham but this disputes that:
    Buddle Wiki
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2000 L I Rough Riders 26 (11)
    2001–05 Columbus Crew 106 (42)
    2006 New York Red Bulls 28 (6)
    2007 Toronto FC 10 (0)
    2007– Los Angeles Galaxy 68 (34)

Note that in his whole history before LA, the only time he had coaching that was worth a shit was the first couple years with the Crew. After that... well, you can look at Crew after 03 till Sigi.. and the other clubs, we all know.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I said the same thing about Buddle a year or so ago, but then Davies came along.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I think him and Herculez Gomez both deserve a call into the camp in a few weeks.

Gomez finished tied for the Mexican league scoring title despite coming off the bench in nine of the 15 games he played.

Both have been on fire recently, but Gomez has impressed me a little bit more. He has done it with both feet and his head. He has done it during the run of play and off corners and free kicks.

But both should get a look, especially if Davies can't.