Eddie Johnson

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 4, 2008.

1. fulhamlocal

fulhamlocal New Member

There is no doubt that the American lads have stood tall during a difficult periods for the club this year. But, Eddie Johnson – I saw him against Man United, which I thought was a bit of a baptism of fire. What can we expect from him next year? Is he the answer to our goal scoring problems?

2. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

I don't think he is the answer, but what do I know, I'm from Kansas.

3. fulhamlocal

fulhamlocal New Member

This begs the question: what did we buy him for?

4. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I think he will do well in time. We gave him two or three matches to prove himself when we weren't quite running on all cylinders.

But with that said, if we stay up ... then a loan spell for him down in the CCC wouldn't exactly be a horrible thing.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Anyone who tries to tell you exactly what Eddie is going to do in the future is probably a bit off their rocker. Personally I like Eddie and I think he will explode in the future. The question is whether he will take off like a rocket and split the goal wide open or will he just blow up?

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

IMO, Americans tend to be late bloomers in sports compared to players from other countries. He's definitely one to watch for the future, as he has the tools to be better than anyone else we have currently. When McBride was EJ's age, he was still playing for Milwaukee in the now-USL...it's fair to say that EJ is ahead of that pace already.

7. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I see him improving next year. You watch him on the pitch and you just get the feeling he hasn't come close to approaching the best he can produce. Massive potential.

I hope he can eventually do for us what Keane does for Tottenham on a regular basis. He has the ability. He can be a creative force as well as a strong finisher.

What he may become is an Emile Heskey or Peter Crouch-type. The guy who always seems to find or create chances for himself during a match but whose finishing often fails him. You like him, but you know you're going to end up cussing before the match is over because he's going to miss a wide open net from 3 feet out.

We could live with that kind of player as long as Fulham have others like McBride with the ability/awareness to clean up the mess. That is what kept Heskey on at Liverpool for a while. Even if he missed, the chaos he created opened up chances for others.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree with Lincoln. I think he's built for the English game, physically. I think that Roy can get his head right. When Johnson's confidence is up, he is positively lethal, but when he's lost it ... .

One thing is that I think he feels he must restrict his striker's greed in order to be a good team player. And, in an effort to lead a line and distribute, he forgets that he's a goal scorer. Once Roy [and Brian?] help him realize that he is the best teammate out there when he's scaring defenses and scoring goals, I think he'll be okay. I've been down on him in the past, but his last few appearances in the USA team and -- believe it or not -- his performances with us have convinced me that there's something there.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Eddie Johnson

At the time of purchase the striker situation was bleak. McBride's comeback was still up in the air, Kamara & Healy were cold (it was so bad Dempsey was playing out of position). I think the majority on here thought that either a) a buy for next season or b) not a good buy at all.
    He was relatively cheap (1.5 million pounds I think) so worth a gamble

While I'm not a fan of his, I'm not ready to give up on him. From all accounts he did well for the reserves, so hopefully he realizes that he will have to work to get a spot. It should help that the other yanks are helping him adapt culturally (hoping they give him advice not to read any messageboards).

10. fulhamlocal

fulhamlocal New Member

RE: Re: RE: Eddie Johnson

You imply something I had really thought about. I’m talking about American players playing in England. It would be fair to say that what is known as the “American Experiment” has been a success. If we continue this success with players like Johnson, so much the better!

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Eddie Johnson

Recalling articles on him while he was at KC {wish, now, I had kept the links}, he realizes he has 'head problems'.
    As long as he understands that much of his difficulties lie within him... and coaches deal within that perspective, I'm betting on him for the long term. If not for Fulham, somewhere else in the league.

12. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Eddie Johnson

I'm not sure there is an American Experiment as such, but that the bottom half of the PL are looking at the US shop window, the prices are cheap, the dollar weak against the pound and the potential is high. It may slow down as the US realise the commodity it has, or they may remain cheap to give their best national players the expeirience they need to win a world cup.

Like all forign players, it takes time to come to terms with England, the football and the weather. There are very few frontmen who will make an impact in their first season - so he was always for the future. We know that the US produce outstanding athletes, that technically and tactically (IMHO & for the most part) their game is behind Europe, but once we get hold of them they learn quick and improve quicker.

Players like McBride, Keller, Friedle and Eddie Lewis are all coming to the end of their careers and will take back their experiences to the US. They will be better equipped to move the game forward as they have a good all round footie education and will be able to place it into the cultural context.

In interview all four come across as intelligent people, unlike so many of the home grown players, over the next 10 year I would expect to see more American players coming over and being more involved from a younger age due to the changes that people like McBride should make.

13. fulhamlocal

fulhamlocal New Member

That’s settled then. We need a Fulham NA (“North American”) Academy under head coach Mr B. McBride!

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I was never a fan or much impressed with Eddie until Mr. Hodgson got his hands on him. I was impressed with the last few games that I saw him play for FFC (dont know if he played in the Derby game 'cause I was in England and couldnt see it - how ironic). I thought his speed made the fulham offense dangerous, if only he could've finished. I hope he gets to stay at Fulham and gets another try for the first team.

15. Han-Solo

Han-Solo New Member

The answer to our goalscoring problem?
    Johnson?
    :lol:
    In which planet do you live, mate? Didn't you notice that we have started our comeback when he has been put out of the squad and his place was taken by Healy and or Kamara?
    Honestly, if he weren't American, concede for a moment that he were Italian, would you back him?

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: Eddie Johnson

I would back him the same way I do now as a player with future potential. I did not expect much out of him this year and got exactly what I expected. I am still willing to believe he has the ability to make a positive impact next year. I thought more highly of Kamara at the beginning of the season and it has taken longer than I expected but he finally has settled in and is looking like a quality striker. Given time to settle in I believe that both Nevland and Johnson can provide us with much needed depth next season.

Just for the record if you can convince any Italian strikers to give Fulham a chance I wouldn't object. :D

17. jlough

jlough New Member

RE: Re: Eddie Johnson

For the price, he is a great acquisition. At his age and under Roy's supervision, he can progress. The Fulham MB people were down on him from the beginning, he was not ready, as most Americans said on this site, but he has great potential.

18. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

That assumes we're judging him on the basis of his nationality and not on the basis of his performance. Many of us have watched this guy play on several occasions and buy into his potential.

It isn't a flag-waiving nationalist bravado at work here. I think many of us who have watched him play have given a sober assessment. He's going to be an asset for Fulham. How much of an asset? I don't know.

If he reaches his full potential, he will be both a finisher and a creator for Fulham. That is a rare combination for a striker and one worth taking a "wait and see" approach to see if Johnson can fulfill his promise.

I'd feel the same way if we signed Pato from AC Milan (Actually, I would consider myself in dreamland if that guy ever donned Fulham colors.). When we purchased Johnson, we didn't bring him in to make an immediate impact. Fulham bought his potential, an assessment of his talent many of us share.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

hmmmm, being accused of rating Johnson because he's an American, and being too blind to see that our nationalism is stronger than our judgment. This 30-second visit to the Offal was brought to you by ...

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I didn't jump up and down when I heard that EJ was coming to Fulham because his attitude has flat out stunk, for lack of a better word, during his time at KC, but there is no denying his talent. He seems to have grown up, and there is a pretty short statute of limitations for maneuvers committed when we are young that we grow to regret (fortunately for all of us), and there has not been a doubt about his potential. I'm still hopeful, but next year we need so see him pop the twine a few times. That's the job description for strikers, isn't it?