Eddie Johnson at Cardiff

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Aug 25, 2008.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He's a bluebird; he's a bluebird; he's a bluebird.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Eddie Lewis to Cardiff?

I thought he just signed with LA. I guess they didnt think there could be more than one American "Eddie" good enough to play in England.

:D

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Johnson v. Johnson

And today's CC matchup between Cardiff and Milton Keynes Dons features Eddie starting at striker for the former and Jemal at midfield for the Dons.

For those of you who may not have known or kept track, Jemal Johnson was with Bolton's youth program and was the first American to play in the New Wembley Stadium when MKD won the L1/L2 Cup last season. He had the misfortune of being injured during a lot of the US "Under" youth tournements and may be off everyone's radar as a result. He's a very pacey winger.

Good luck to them both. I hope Eddie gets a hat-trick and The Bluebirds lose 3-4!

5. Clevelandmo

RE: Johnson v. Johnson

Too many Eddies and Johnsons these days, so confusing.

BTW, Ray Lewington's son is also playing for MK Dons. 1 - 0 Cardiff at half on a PK (not Eddie).

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Johnson v. Johnson

Eddie played the full 90 minutes (3 first half injuries left Cardiff no choice in the matter) and did get a strike on goal which, based on the reports (not just Cardiff's view), was a good shot that required a great save from the goalie to keep out (knocked up, hit the cross bar, and went over for a corner).

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

8. Clevelandmo

Too bad, sounds like the same old EJ. I wish he would work harder. Eddie's interview made it sound like he was happy with this move and ready to show what he can do.

9. Clevelandmo

Does anyone think EJ might have been more of a Sanchez signing than a Hodgson signing? I think the rumors started B4 Hodgson arrived.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Johnson v. Johnson

Seems like the conclusion the comments came to on both of those posts is that too much shouldn't be made of an unimpressive debut since he's just getting match fit and probably doesn't even know his teammates' names yet.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

What a surprise EJ didn't impress his new team's fanbase w/his work rate :roll: Who knows, he might end up doing well for them :lol: , but my prediction is that he'll be back in the MLS by next summer.

12. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Does it come down to the age old practice of yank footballers? Athletes that lack a footballer's mind.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

talk about your stereotypes!

What I read was that he had one decent shot on goal [forcing a good save] and that he hesitated on a cross. The guy showed up three days before the match and had never played with anyone or for the coach before. He needs a few matches and, more than that, he needs some time on the practice pitch meeting his fellow players and his coach.

Oh, and if you've ever spent more than 1 hour on the offal, why should you be surprised at the "fans" slagging an American player? It's about all they do. Only McBride has been exempt from that on our own site.

14. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Wasn't saying I bought into the stereotype. Simply spouting what I've continually hear. I agree with that assessment in EJ's case to the extent that he has a great deal of maturing to do. He isn't up to the prem level yet and it doesn't come down to his physical abilities, but more so his lack mental sharpness.

It comes down to making the right pass, putting himself in the right position, winning the 50/50 opportunities and bringing his teammates into the game.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

He has matured quite a bit since he was a flake for KC in 2006 -- remember how he didn't go straight back to his team after the WC? We all deserve a second chance in this life, and he seems to be taking it. He shouldn't be too surprised at catching flak from Cardiff fans for being American, that comes with the territory. I hope he puts a few in the back of the net. And comes back to the Ws and puts in a few more. He needs to, or else back to KC with him.

Also, I noticed the more reasoned Cardiff fans on the two linked forums say more or less the same thing.

16. Clevelandmo

I didnt read any of the Cardiff fans slagging him because he is American; they were slagging him because they didnt think he worked hard. They also were hoping to get a premiership quality player or close to it.

Don, this seems reasonable to me, but then I have to ask you, why would his coach start him and play him the full 90?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good question, Mo. My guess was that he'd have been subbed off at about 60 minutes had they not had three injury substitutions in the first half.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

i wholly agree with the assessment that he needs time to acclimate, however, the same criticisms seem to have dogged him for the past year. dude needs to seriously turn it around and fast. there's still hope.

19. Clevelandmo

Eddie didn't get into the Cardif - Shef Untd game until the 86th minute today. Final 0 - 0.

20. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

EJ came on at the 78th minute against Derby and got his head on a corner kick, but knocked it wide. Game ended 1-1.