e-readers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Well, its finally happened. I have gotten so used to reading stuff on a computer and phone that I can't even pick up an actual book anymore. It sucks.

So which e-reader is the best? I've heard good things about all of them so I hope you guys can push me into one specific device so I'm not sitting at a store staring at all of them like an idiot.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Early reviews say the iPad is great for reading (except in the sun) and watching movies. People like the size better for reading and the fact that it provides a page count. Many say the iPad is not so great as a replacement for a serious laptop.

Due to the unfortunate name, though, I will not be buying one. I'm also too old for it. I will always prefer a book.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My mom loves her Sony e-reader...but I have not made the switch yet. I predict more and more people will make the switch to e-readers once they realize that it is a bit more practical to have than a physical library of books. Just like with mp3 players.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm the wrong end of the demographic gap; I'll read online if I must, but prefer a real book. I will say, though, the size of the iPad could make me reconsider (i.e., it's perfect size); the pricetag, however is another question.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Note taken from Mo. How long before the I-Maxi-Pad??

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Speaking of . . . if you havent seen it yet. Mad TV came up with the ideas 3 years ago

http://vodpod.com/watch/2941123-madtvs-ipad

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, whatever... hold off long as you can because the price is going to come down and the tech is going to change rapidly.*

Interesting you remark on size becasue that is one of the main gripes. Regarding what do you do with the damn thing when you're moving around and not using it. Also IPad came out with purposely limited functionality. If the price is near that of a Netbook, then......

I got an IPod touch for Christmas.. guess what. I can also use it for a reader.
    The apps are limited of course but I am actually reading this thread simultaneously on my ipod and FulhamUSA, btw looks perfectly normal on it.

Also When I find something I like on youtube, I simply subscribe or save it to my playlists. Then listen with ipod rather than pc.

Now..
    * This suggest the Ipad will morph into an actual netbook functionalty.. with for the optional foldup keyboard.. but it's still going to suffer for certain applications.

Like this in a year or two. Fits in a coat pocket.. 10 inch projector display on any flat surface, 'virtual touchscreen' on same surface and easier to keep smudgeless.

Or.. why not just read/compute on your HD TV? All you need is a control interface.. like the size of an ipod. Or wait a year or two for a 3D spatial TV control accessory which will track your eye focus and you can just wave and point your finger on the 'virtual touchscreen' for the same functionality.

Only reason you cant do that right now is no one has settled on a connectivity standard in using TV as a monitor. Thing is it has to be idiot proof.. like auto-connecting wireless, or IR.

I guess bottom line is whatever you pick you'll upgrade it in a couple years. Or get a different technology for a different need

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

By the way... This reply is from my iPod
    giving it a hi rating for "idiot-proof"
    - heh

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

That projector looks pretty damn cool. One of those "off the Normandy"* type things.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the Sony reader. Cheap and available just about everywhere.

*stupid video game reference. Normandy is a space ship in the Mass Effect series. Sorry.