Dubya & the ShoeChucker

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The still photos posted made it look like Bush was trying to hide from the deadly airborne size tens... the video shows much the contrary.

Dubya's still got pretty good reflexes, doesnt he?!! I'm impressed! Makes you wonder what goes on in some of those high level WH meetings!
    :shock:

Meanwhile shoechucker's pro-Baathist network claims he was only expressing his 'freedom of speech' and wants him released.

Oh, yeah? Suppose Saddam was still in power and it was Jimmah Carter on that podium. He would already be dog food.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

You've gotta love irony. I suspect he'd have gotten the Iraqi Nat'l Soccer team treatment under Saddam and his spawn.

I'll be curious to see what the world does when their whipping boy goes into exile in 6 weeks? Who'll be the new guy that it's cool to disrespect and hate?

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thought the soon to be ex-Pres took it in w/a sense of humor. Looked to me that he was good at dodge ball as a lad.

4. pettyfog

Hell... that's already started in some of the more disreputable circles.... 'Obama is disrespecting his heritage'.

On the not so pleasant side, there's already moaning about the performance of the Secret Service..

Get a Freakin' GRIP. It was done JUST RIGHT! We aint some tinpot dictatorship. And the overall effect is that we trust the Iraqi's and their government.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You guys really need to get over that. I've seen every American president from Kennedy to Bush fils burned in effigy somewhere in the world pretty much constantly. Why must you pretend [a] that it's only Bush that gets singled out and that we don't disrespect and hate leaders of other nations?

I mean, really.

Oh, and the President does have serious moves -- dodged those zapatos with major smooth. I must say, however, that the reporter throws like a girl.

6. pettyfog

Like who? Chirac? Ummm..... disrespect, yeah. Hate...nah!

If you're talking about PRK's 'Il'-windbag. Same goes.. just not worthy of 'hate'.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, for example, I've been watching your non-stop love fest for Hugo Chavez for almost three years now.

Get serious, 'fog. You know I'm right about this. Some of these guys are too young to have paid attendence to any president but GWB, but certainly you do.

8. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

That's what it reminded me of, Dodgeball the Movie...

Remember what Patches says "If you can dodge a "shoe" :wink:, you can dodge a ball".

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

But it does not mean you can dodge media criticism.

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, you are correct. They all have been hated on by someone. Washington, Lincoln, and FDR were all hated by some part of the populace. Probably because of the media now, but REALLY, no President has been hated on as much as Bush since Nixon. It has been ridiculous.

Allow me to post this again.

The Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace
    What must our enemies be thinking?
    By JEFFREY SCOTT SHAPIRO

Earlier this year, 12,000 people in San Francisco signed a petition in support of a proposition on a local ballot to rename an Oceanside sewage plant after George W. Bush. The proposition is only one example of the classless disrespect many Americans have shown the president.

According to recent Gallup polls, the president's average approval rating is below 30% -- down from his 90% approval in the wake of 9/11. Mr. Bush has endured relentless attacks from the left while facing abandonment from the right.

This is the price Mr. Bush is paying for trying to work with both Democrats and Republicans. During his 2004 victory speech, the president reached out to voters who supported his opponent, John Kerry, and said, "Today, I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent. To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust."

Those bipartisan efforts have been met with crushing resistance from both political parties. The president's original Supreme Court choice of Harriet Miers alarmed Republicans, while his final nomination of Samuel Alito angered Democrats. His solutions to reform the immigration system alienated traditional conservatives, while his refusal to retreat in Iraq has enraged liberals who have unrealistic expectations about the challenges we face there.

It seems that no matter what Mr. Bush does, he is blamed for everything. He remains despised by the left while continuously disappointing the right.
    Yet it should seem obvious that many of our country's current problems either existed long before Mr. Bush ever came to office, or are beyond his control. Perhaps if Americans stopped being so divisive, and congressional leaders came together to work with the president on some of these problems, he would actually have had a fighting chance of solving them.

Like the president said in his 2004 victory speech, "We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

Democratic President Harry S. Truman, whose own approval rating sank to 22% shortly before he left office. Despite Mr. Truman's low numbers, a 2005 Wall Street Journal poll found that he was ranked the seventh most popular president in history.

Just as Americans have gained perspective on how challenging Truman's presidency was in the wake of World War II, our country will recognize the hardship President Bush faced these past eight years -- and how extraordinary it was that he accomplished what he did in the wake of the September 11 attacks.

The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have. The president is not to blame for all these problems. He never lost faith in America or her people, and has tried his hardest to continue leading our nation during a very difficult time.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty -- a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this natfter Mr. Bush has left the White House.

Mr. Shapiro is an investigative reporter and lawyer who previously interned with John F. Kerry's legal team during the presidential election in 2004.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bush Derangement Syndrome is the latest invented disease from the same folks who brought us Restless Leg Syndrome. And it was invented for the same reason -- to sell us something we don't need.

BDS is based on the premise that any and all criticism of the current president, his administration, his policies, and his actions are the result of mental defect brought on by the Florida recount. To dare to criticize this president is, well, you said it above: "The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have."

This little bit of nonsense was created by right-wing pundits as a catch all rebuke to anyone who is critical of the president. It saves a lot of time spent reflecting on consequences and ignoring a lack of consistency. The major benefit is taking all the complexity and nuance out of not only governance, but also debate.

The benefit is, of course, that it is so much easier to live in a world where there are two clear answers to every question:

1. those answers provided by the president, the RNC, Fox News, and Rush Limbaugh -- AND

2. those answers provided by insane people hopelessly deluded by their hatred for the president.

Hey, it's easier than thinking. Oh, and about the Truman comparisons -- I guess the Chorus of the Right finally got embarrassed with the Lincoln comparisons -- Truman didn't get out of the bottom 5% of rankings until a good 20 years after he'd left the White House. And I can't find any evidence of Truman acolytes describing people critical of him as giving aid and comfort to the enemy or endangering the lives of the troops.

As for Shapiro's "internship" with Kerry, it carries much less weight with me that does the fact that this column was from the Wall Street Journal. I'm shocked, shocked that the WSJ is incensed that there are 12000 people in California that don't like the president. I'll be equally shocked in two months time that they won't give a crap that there are 12000 people in California who don't like President Obama.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, this piece was in the OPINION section of the WSJ and if you read it regularly, as I do, you'll not that they REGULARLY have pieces written by liberals and democrats. They EDITORIALLY are to the right however what does that have to do with the price of tea in China if they give voice to differing opinions? For you it is to discredit the thoughts and ideas. Again in your little 'red' boxes. You just don't get it apparently. This writer, you know his credentials but will ignore, is suggesting that it is the intensity and the ferocity of the negativity that is at issue. Not the fact that it happens....did you get that part?

You are exactly the person this author, and myself for that matter, are referring to, so I am not surprised or shocked by your scripted rhetoric and reference to Fox News, Bush, Limbaugh etc.., that you blame everyoen's thinking and everything negative, even in the face of facts, on. I guess the rest of us can't think for ourselves, so we must be following these Oracles for our thoughts. You must think that those of us who prescribe to the conservative philosophy are sheep following blindly, with no reason of our own. How arrogant of you to think that.

Now, there are millions of us in CA who didn't vote for Obama, but we will give him more respect than you did Bush because we are Republicans and our proud of our country (we are critical as well but...give me break) and what it really stands for, unlike many of the flag burning left that were walking the streets of SF back in the 60's and their offspring.

Your Truman thing, was hard to follow but I guess you had to be there, which I know you were, but were a wee bit of lad so.....

And your BDS thing is just a symptom of what I call HDDS, which is HatterDon Derangement sydrome which is the need to put everything that you disagree with politically (and some not so political) into cute and neat little boxes, these boxes are labeled Fox News, I hate Bush, Limbaugh, Hannity, We were jobbed in Florida, etc..

If you can't admit he has been criticized mercilessly, then it must be ok to do so, so if Obama receives the same fate, you have no room to complain.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well I think you have set some sort of record for having missed every single point I made. And I think you've even out-stripped Pettyfog in identifying as mine all the things I manifestly didn't say and don't believe. Wow. That took some serious conditioning and dexterity. Must be all them bike rides that kept you from pulling a hammy or two in that last post.

Sit down and have a cuppa. You've earned it! :coffee:

14. Bradical

Bradical Member

Historically speaking, no single President ever deserved impeachment consideration more than W. If the Democrats weren't so (rightfully) scared of the thought of Cheney as Commander in Chief, methinks W would have been at least been brought up on articles of impeachment. Disgraceful behavior, conduct, and performance dictate the treatment he has received.

My question is, will Bush apologists still be towing the line if/when he is tried for war crimes by an International Military Tribunal?

15. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Wrong but of course your allowed your opinion, but apparently nobody has been able to make enough of an argument to do so or is inclined to do so because there is no 'there' there. Your comment about ending up with Cheney is just plain silly. Those that represent your party have nothing they can do to Bush because they agreed with what he was going to do in the first place, only until it became a political inconvenience did they pile on. Obama was one of the only ones that didn't. Let's see how much his policy ends up being different.

Remember, only Bubba and Andrew Johnson have been impeached by the House, and guess who's spouse is now Secretary of State? I smell more trouble for the Dems politically with those two gypsies back in Washington.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Naw, I'll pass on the cuppa and go for a ride. :D

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Andrew Johnson's spouse is Secretary of State? Wow. That is really going to distract him in front of goal.

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Apparantly, you don't read too much history. His Presidency has been pretty poor, but we've had quite a few Presidents who have committed far greater transgressions against our Constitution.

HD - I assume your point was that historically (there's that word again) other Presidents have had it as bad or worse. I can only speak firsthand for my lifetime (37), but there has been a trend where each President has received more outlandish and disrespectful treatment since Reagan. I largely attribute this to our smaller world (internet, cable news ch's, etc) but it's still annoying. I'll leave the WSJ/BDS bs debate to you guys.

19. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I think Bobby Z is so good at holding up the ball, he'll keep till AJ gets back. :wink:

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Show some links stating that Bush is an int'l war criminal that are worth a warm bucket of spit and then we'll talk.