DSL FIX: back on line cheap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 2, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

pettyfog off air

Note I havent been on here much.

My DSL modem/router died. So I will have spotty attendance here for the next few days
    {This is posted via .. shhhh.. bootleg connection through a neighbor's wireless net.. which comes and goes. I assume depending on where their cat is lying.}

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: pettyfog off air

There's no shame in pirating a neighbor's internets. Best of luck in getting back online, Mr. Fog.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

RE: pettyfog off air

I knew there was a reason why I haven't seen a Columbus Crew reference in the last 24 hours.....

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for the net {and neighbors with nonsecure wireless.}

2 Wire 2700HG
    I was having probs with my DSL fast becoming less reliable and the prime indication was lots of ATM cell header errors.

I noticed the power adapter was warm but didnt think much of it. BAD ME because my primary career was in IT hardware.

By the end of the day, my 2700 was restarting constantly even without the phone line connected.
    ATM cell detction is obviously most vulnerable to bad power as it has to be sensitive to small signals.

A net search saved me from calling and waiting for ATT service and looking stupid when they suggested the problem.

Good to know a PSP adapter would work. {5v 2 amp}. BETTER to know that I could fix by replacing the 1000 ufd cap in the adapter.
    I did. works fine... NO errors of any kind in 3 hours of operation.

total cost including gas to elect surplus store under 5 bucks.
    time to fix: 2 hours incl shopping trip and cracking case.

Not counting troubleshoot time because that would be the same, whatever I did. But it was about 3 hours to determine the problem to 95% certainty.
    Cost of new router from ATT, $75 and two days.